HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » TV Chat (Group) » Any Shameless fans out th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 AM

Any Shameless fans out there? How in the

world can this fantastically creative show not get any awards ? seriously.

Emmy Rossum vs. Sofia Verega ???

7 replies, 827 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Any Shameless fans out there? How in the (Original post)
Laura PourMeADrink Jan 2013 OP
dr.strangelove Jan 2013 #1
Laura PourMeADrink Jan 2013 #3
dr.strangelove Jan 2013 #5
Laura PourMeADrink Jan 2013 #6
dsc Jan 2013 #2
Laura PourMeADrink Jan 2013 #4
MuseRider Jan 2013 #7

Response to Laura PourMeADrink (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:26 PM

1. I love it, but the talent level on TV right now is off the charts

Award shows mean nothing, they are a means to make money. The Hollywood Foreign Press nominates shows it can sell People magazine type content about. Shameless is good TV and I LOVED the new season opener, but I could care less if it wins a silly award that means nothing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dr.strangelove (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:18 PM

3. Awards mean something to me because without them the show ends up disappearing. Six Feet Under

was a good example.

Reply to this post

Response to Laura PourMeADrink (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:15 AM

5. Six Feet Under

ended because the story was completed. Alan Ball was the one who told HBO that he was done telling the story. He created one of the best final seasons and wrote maybe the best final episodes ever. It had nothing to do with awards, it had to do with the person writing the story simply feeling that it was done and he was ready to do other things. While no one can predict the future, Ball has won many awards and has never let them impact his storytelling before. I find it unlikely that another award or even ten would have made him continue a profitable TV series when he felt it was time to wrap it up. He will probably do the same with True Blood in the near future.

Usually shows are cancelled not because of awards, but because of math. A TV show's cost per episode is compared with the revenue per episode and a decision is made on whether or not to keep it. Certainly shows seen as good and major awards, may help prolong an unprofitable series since the hope is that the award and the publicity from it will help turn the show into a profit base, but shows that lose money are canned and shows that make money are not.

Awards certainly help a network advertise, but at the end of the day, good shows sell themselves and bad shows do not. There are of course exceptions where a good show might never catch on because of its high cost or difficulty finding an audience, like Carnivale and even awards can not save it. Carnivale won several minor awards and got a bunch of emmy nominations its first season, but it was expensive and its ratings were not enough to justify the high cost. Anyway, I don't think awards really matter. the networks want the free advertising but I don;t think they impact shows very much.

Reply to this post

Response to dr.strangelove (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 AM

6. I didn't know that about Ball wanted it to end. Thanks for

sharing that.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on awards. I still think awards matter tremendously - as an intangible. More people watch, shows become part of the culture, lives of actors are followed and reported on. They are on the cover of magazines for millions to see. Bet there are many many people who have never seen Girls before and will now watch.

If "good shows sell themselves" then how in the world could anyone explain the success of Thirty Rock, Modern Family, and Scrubs

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:24 PM

2. I think its subject matter hurts it on awards shows

there is also mad talent on tv right now.

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:19 PM

4. Yes, it is completely off the hook which is what makes it so good. I can't think of a

single solitary actor on TV better than Lip.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:12 PM

7. I surely don't know

but I love the show. What a great cast and story.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread