HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » online portfolios
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:27 PM

online portfolios

any suggestions? I'm a couple of days into my two weeks free trial of zenfolio. But I know nothing, so any advice would be appreciated.

5 replies, 882 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply online portfolios (Original post)
arely staircase Dec 2011 OP
ManiacJoe Dec 2011 #1
arely staircase Dec 2011 #2
ManiacJoe Jan 2012 #3
rdking647 Jan 2012 #4
flamin lib Jan 2012 #5

Response to arely staircase (Original post)

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:05 PM

1. What features are you looking for?

Sales? Presentation? Social/commenting? Free vs paid?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ManiacJoe (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:14 PM

2. Presentation and (hopefully) sales

but I have never tried to sell or otherwise publicly shown my photos - I'm just now comfortable with some of my stuff to put it out there.

Reply to this post

Response to arely staircase (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 02:01 AM

3. I have all of my stuff at SmugMug.

Not that I get than many sales....

The presentation is great. The order handling and money handling are all done by them. The "pro" accounts get to set their own prices.

I have had the account long enough that I have no kept up with the competing sites.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 11:40 AM

4. i use flickr and smugmug

i like smugmug because it uses full sized photos. flickr I use for general photos and I put my better ones on smugmug

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 2, 2012, 02:18 PM

5. It depends a lot on your style and intent.

There are a lot of photo sites that cater to amateur and casual photographers and that's usually the audience as well. How many people here in Photography group will buy from you?

If you're serious about selling look for sites that buyers will visit. Stockphoto.com and iStockphoto.com cater to advertising buyers.

If you're shooting for buyers, think about how the image might be used. Visit the two sites above and see what they offer--almost every one of these photos was made with sales in mind before the photographer even picked up the camera. A big market right now is web page illustration; political sites and specialty sales sites like wedding planning etc.

If, like me, you your style is specialized (wildlife) you'll have to find the market, it's not coming to you. My stuff is all local fauna and flora, so I market to specific outlets that will be interested in Texas wildlife. I've been published a number of times in Texas Parks & Wildlife, but right now they're on budget lockdown and not accepting freelance work. Find your market's website, look at submission requirements and follow their rules to the letter.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread