HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » I now have a hatchback

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:23 PM

I now have a hatchback

The area under my car is mostly clear, so I have good traction to get it out, I so desire.
My SO got her pickup stuck, at the bottom of a hill, about two blocks for here yesterday. We dug it out a little while ago, and I drove it home. Around a corner and up an plowed, icy street.
I think the Kansas city metropolitan area is about 300 square miles. so it takes a a while to clear all the streets.

5 replies, 638 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply I now have a hatchback (Original post)
RC Feb 2013 OP
JohnnyRingo Feb 2013 #1
RC Feb 2013 #2
Callalily Feb 2013 #3
justiceischeap Feb 2013 #4
RC Feb 2013 #5

Response to RC (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:22 PM

1. Strange drift.

The wind through there must have been perfect to form such a pretty drift. Probably not so attractive while you're shovelling it out. haha

I heard your area had been hit. We in NE Ohio wish we could have taken some of the brunt of that off your hands. (No we didn't).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:50 PM

2. It was centered between the houses and the wind was from the correct direction.

I thought it was an interesting design.

I spent 45 years in North Dakota. Except for being so warm down here, causing heavy wet snow, this is nothing. (20+ here instead of -20 or more less in ND)
We received 9+ inches. A few more inches are expected later in the week.
I have a 30 inch wide fiberglass scoop, that makes short word of moving snow.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 09:00 AM

3. Yikes! We too have been experiencing

lots and lots of snow. I believe it's been snowing about every other day for WEEKS!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 07:15 PM

4. I remember going to school in KCMO and the buses having chains on the tires

and still getting stuck on hills. I hated being bussed from Independence into KC for school on snowy days.

Reply to this post

Response to justiceischeap (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 07:33 PM

5. In Fargo, the buses didn't need chains.

It usually gets cold after a snow up there in ND. Like zero and below. Sometimes well below. The colder it gets the better the traction on icy and snowy streets. Down here the traffic will be at a crawl, when up there, with the same conditions traffic would be going 40-60 MPH, because it was much colder.
I haven't found anyone yet that knows how to drive in the snow and few how to clear snow. People here think you have to pick up each shovel full. What's up with that?

There were reports of at least two vehicles that caught on fire because of wheel spinning. Who know how many more with ruined drive wheels.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread