HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » Have you seen these photo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:59 PM

Have you seen these photos? Phenominal!

These are some awe inspiring photos. Obviously manipulated, but done masterfully. There's no way he stood around waiting for both the perfect sky and the perfect light and the sun behind the trees and the perfect formation of three birds flying by at exactly the right spot in the sky to balance the composition, so I know the birds were pasted in and the color manipulation, etc. An awful lot of his pictures have a perfect formation of three birds in them, so those have to be photoshopped. And the sun always seems to be in the perfect spot in the sky, so that's probably faked as well.

But the point is, this is more art than it is photography, and it's brilliantly done. I am seriously jealous!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feniche/5820524873/

10 replies, 844 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have you seen these photos? Phenominal! (Original post)
Speck Tater Jan 2013 OP
alfredo Jan 2013 #1
Speck Tater Jan 2013 #2
alfredo Jan 2013 #3
Stevenmarc Jan 2013 #4
Blue_In_AK Jan 2013 #5
Laura PourMeADrink Jan 2013 #6
Speck Tater Jan 2013 #7
Laura PourMeADrink Jan 2013 #8
Stevenmarc Jan 2013 #9
SouthernDonkey Jan 2013 #10

Response to Speck Tater (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:21 PM

1. He's probably spent many an hour walking through the museums and art galleries.

How could he help but be influenced by them Beautiful work.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alfredo (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 06:48 PM

2. My theory is...

On a good sky day he probably goes out and photographs hundreds of dramatic skies and files them away in a sky album.

Then he goes out to the bird sanctuary and spends a few days photographing birds in flight against a plain blue sky (using the sky blue like chroma-key to isolate the birds). Then he puts those in an album of flying birds.

Then when he finds a foreground he likes, he photographs it. Back home in the computer he pastes in a better sky, pastes in a group of three birds flying in formation, and manipulates the color palette to reproduce those earthy warm tones found in the old masters' paintings.

In some of them it looks like he added light-beam effects and may have pasted in a "sun" as a bright spot behind the mid-depth layer to give the impression that the picture was taken into the sun.

In some cases it looks like he may have pasting in foreground elements like silhouetted grass or plant stems and leaves. I'm guessing some of his pictures have as many as four or five separate layers of pasted-together elements. It looks like a lot of fun.

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 07:32 PM

3. Art is labor intensive. I like the aging effect like in the

Venice boats.

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:12 PM

4. There's a lot going on there

I suspect a few more than 4 or 5 layers, there's texture layers, toning and masking going on in those works along with compositing. There's a lot of vision in the work, probably more vision than photography, that said it's rather nice digital art.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:16 PM

5. More art than photography, definitely.

Quite pretty, though.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 08:36 PM

6. I love some of them - but some of them remind of

greeting cards...like the horse pictures.

Reply to this post

Response to Laura PourMeADrink (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 09:33 PM

7. I wasn't crazy about the horse pictures myself. But what I'm wondering is...

...what is their staying power?
I really liked Thomas Kincaid too. For the first four or five paintings. Then they got old and trite, and started looking more and more like this generation's velvet Elvis paintings.

The ones I like best remind me of the old Dutch Masters.

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #7)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 06:37 AM

8. Just pulled up images of Kincade's paintings...there's really

a remarkable similarity between some of them and the horse pic with the waterfall. Maybe you recognized this subconsciously. :>

All I think about when I hear Kincade mentioned is all that stuff that came out about his mistress and wife fighting over his estate after he died. I thought it was so ironic being that he was such a hero to all the religious nuts.

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #7)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:59 AM

9. You make a great point

This work utilizes a lot of canned actions, filters and textures making it subject to what's fashionable, not really giving it any sense of timelessness. It's formulaic, like Kinkaid who mastered sappy sentimentalism with his glowing, over saturated cottages, granted sappy sentimentalism sells but great art it's not.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:36 PM

10. I have to agree.

While it is beautiful and very dramatic, and I'm sure very labor intensive, some of it is almost cartoonish. I see it alot. I'm personally not a big fan of manipulation to this extreme, if you're going to still call it "photograpy". Sure, it's a "digital artform" I guess. Enhancement and adjustment are one thing..... I have to agree with most of the critical posts above.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread