HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Musicians (Group) » Guitarists - question on ...

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 08:10 AM

Guitarists - question on reverse/upside-down left hand playing

I'm not sure what the technical term is, though I'm sure there is one. If you look at the video between about 2:40 and 3:00, Jon is using a reverse, top-down left hand to fret. Is this just a way of displaying one's total mastery of the instrument (quite obvious here), or is there a technical reason that it implements certain playing styles better than the standard position? He's far from alone in using this technique, I know.

2 replies, 987 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Guitarists - question on reverse/upside-down left hand playing (Original post)
IDemo Dec 2012 OP
Scuba Dec 2012 #1
LeftOfSelf-Centered Dec 2012 #2

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:55 AM

1. I've seen my guitar teacher do stuff like that. I can't even do it in my dreams.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to IDemo (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:40 PM

2. It depends, I think...

I've seen people do it purely to show off, like playing with the guitar behind your head, turning the guitar around and playing left-handed or flicking your pick bouncing it off the guitar and catching it again (still don't know how that one works, my pick just flies off randomly). In that case it's just showing off that you can play the melody in an usual position and also backwards with respect to your normal fingering.

In your example though I think he plays with the left hand inverted for a reason; He is holding a chord on the low strings at the same time needing the high strings ring. If he held his hand in the normal position there is a chance that one of his fingers might touch the high strings it's reaching over and therefore mute the note. He may have decided to fret the chord like that so that there is no danger of interfering with the other strings.

I hope this made sense... (All of the above is pure speculation on my part)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread