HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Music Appreciation (Group) » Coltrane's funeral
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:04 AM

Coltrane's funeral

July 21, 1967, New York City. Both raw and ethereal; avant-garde yet retaining a soulful appropriate traditional sound.

Gives me chills.

6 replies, 2295 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Coltrane's funeral (Original post)
Joe Shlabotnik Nov 2012 OP
xtraxritical Nov 2012 #1
navarth Nov 2012 #2
Joe Shlabotnik Nov 2012 #3
navarth Nov 2012 #4
Joe Shlabotnik Nov 2012 #5
beerandjesus Dec 2012 #6

Response to Joe Shlabotnik (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:25 AM

1. Thank's for posting this, I bet the man loved it too. Bebop forever!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:37 PM

2. Sounds to me like

'Amazing Grace' as Albert Ayler would have interpreted it. I'm sure The Most Holy Coltrane would have approved. Looks like Richard Davis on bass! I never knew he did that, how interesting.

Thanks for posting this. I think I'll listen to Straight Street or 26-2 to celebrate. The Earth was lucky to have Coltrane. How famous would he be now? Just think of it.

Who have we got left from The Quartet? Just McCoy Tyner He must be several thousand years old by now. My how time flies....

I've always felt that Coltrane was (musically) from Philly, although he spent a lot of time here in The D, even took a wife here (Alice McCloud). I used to have some good conversations with one of Coltrane's nephews who lives here. Good memories, thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Response to navarth (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:26 PM

3. There aren't many left from that circle.

McCoy Tyner is the only one from the famous quartet. Off of the top of my head, the only other significant contributer to Trane's music still alive (and seriously kickin'), is Pharoah Sanders. Contemporaries like Wayne Shorter and Ornette Coleman are still around, but not doing too much.

Reply to this post

Response to Joe Shlabotnik (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:50 PM

4. You forget Sonny Rollins.....

tsk tsk! Remember 'Trane's tune 'Like Sonny'? Those two were very close. And the recording they made 'Tenor Madness'?

tsk tsk again!! (just kidding)

We have lost many of the Old Masters from that wonderful era. "The ranks are thinning", as Tommy Flanagan says.

Nice to run into an occasional friend on DU that even KNOWS who Coltrane is. It's all too rare, even on an enlightened forum like DU. Very tragic. They all know who Honey Boo Boo is, but if you mention Tadd Dameron....fuggedaboutit.

Reply to this post

Response to navarth (Reply #4)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 PM

5. yep, I forgot Sonny Rollins,

but I was thinking along the lines of artists from that era that ventured into free jazz. I don't think Rollins went that far, which is maybe why he's still alive today (He's about 160 years old in jazz musician years).

Admittedly I often forget that the 'music appreciation' group exists. I've posted the odd jazz related OP in the lounge which usually garners crickets. I think many people approach listening to Jazz as an intimidating or onerous task, when in actuality its the polar opposite: just go with it, both its coolness and it's giddiness.

It's nice to see that there's other aficionados around.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:41 AM

6. Holy SHIT, first time I venture into a non-political forum on DU, and I find THIS....!

Absolutely love Albert Ayler, and my younger son is named Coltrane. Now if only someone can educate me as to what Coltrane saw/heard in Pharoah Sanders.....

Also, Joe Shlabotnik, nice handle... I've been hunting eBay for your rookie card!

Thanks for posting!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread