HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Classic Films (Group) » TCM Schedule for Monday M...

Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:05 PM

TCM Schedule for Monday March 19 - TCM Spotlight: British New Wave

TCM plays doctor by day and showcases more British New Wave films by night.

(all times Eastern)

6:15 AM GOD'S GIFT TO WOMEN (1931)
A modern-day Don Juan tries to go straight for love of an American woman.
Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: Frank Fay , Laura La Plante , Joan Blondell. BW-72 mins, TV-G,

7:30 AM MEN IN WHITE (1934)
A young doctor has to choose between his studies and his marriage to a society girl. Dir: Richard Boleslavsky Cast: Clark Gable , Myrna Loy , Jean Hersholt.
BW-74 mins, TV-G,

9:00 AM MURDER OF DR. HARRIGAN, THE (1936)
A doctor investigates the murder of a colleague involved in experimental surgery. Dir: Frank McDonald Cast: Ricardo Cortez , Kay Linaker , John Eldredge. BW-67 mins, TV-PG,

10:15 AM DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE, THE (1940)
A man-hating author and a woman-hating doctor have to pretend they're married.
Dir: Alexander Hall Cast: Loretta Young , Ray Milland , Reginald Gardiner.
BW-88 mins, TV-G, CC,

11:45 AM DANGEROUSLY THEY LIVE (1942)
A doctor tries to rescue a young innocent from Nazi agents. Dir: Robert Florey Cast: John Garfield , Nancy Coleman , Raymond Massey. BW-77 mins, TV-G,

1:15 PM THREE MEN IN WHITE (1944)
Young doctors compete for a prestigious position as Dr. Gillespie's assistant.
Dir: Willis Goldbeck Cast: Lionel Barrymore , Van Johnson , Marilyn Maxwell.
BW-85 mins, TV-G, CC,

2:45 PM DOCTOR AND THE GIRL, THE (1950)
A doctor leaves his wealthy family to work in the slums. Dir: Curtis Bernhardt Cast: Glenn Ford , Charles Coburn , Gloria De Haven. BW-98 mins, TV-PG,

4:30 PM GIRL IN WHITE, THE (1952)
Biography of Emily Dunning, the first woman doctor to practice in a New York hospital. Dir: John Sturges Cast: June Allyson , Arthur Kennedy , Gary Merrill. BW-93 mins, TV-G, CC,

6:15 PM DOCTOR'S DILEMMA, THE (1958)
A woman tries to convince the medical profession to save her husband despite his lack of character. Dir: Anthony Asquith Cast: Leslie Caron , Dirk Bogarde , Alastair Sim. C-99 mins, TV-G,

8:00 PM THIS SPORTING LIFE (1963)
A rugby player finds the violence in his professional life tainting his personal relationships. Dir: Lindsay Anderson Cast: Richard Harris , Rachel Roberts , Alan Badel. BW-134 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format

10:30 PM BILLY LIAR (1963)
An emotionally stunted clerk retreats into his fantasies. Dir: John Schlesinger Cast: Tom Courtenay , Julie Christie , Wilfred Pickles. BW-99 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

12:15 AM TOM JONES (1963)
In this adaptation of Henry Fielding's novel, a country boy in 18th-century England becomes a playboy. Dir: Tony Richardson Cast: Albert Finney , Susannah York , Hugh Griffith. C-122 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

2:30 AM SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964)
A medium kidnaps a child so she can help the police solve the crime. Dir: Bryan Forbes Cast: Kim Stanley , Richard Attenborough , Mark Eden. BW-116 mins, Letterbox Format

4:30 AM ONLY TWO CAN PLAY (1962)
A Welsh librarian fed up with his meager, married existence meets a beautiful woman with whom he tries to consummate an affair. Dir: Sidney Gilliat Cast: Peter Sellers , Mai Zetterling , Virginia Maskell. BW-106 mins, TV-PG,

2 replies, 901 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply TCM Schedule for Monday March 19 - TCM Spotlight: British New Wave (Original post)
rdmtimp Mar 2012 OP
Matilda Mar 2012 #1
CBHagman Mar 2012 #2

Response to rdmtimp (Original post)

Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:38 AM

1. Two words: "Billy Liar"

One of Tom Courtenay's many great performances - still with us, and still going strong. And Julie Christie was just so sixties!

I haven't seen it for quite a few years, and I wonder if it's dated a bit, but it is a great film and a great film is always worth watching.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Matilda (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 19, 2012, 07:38 AM

2. The British New Wave festival...

...has been quite intriguing. I haven't seen BillyLiar and won't get to see it tonight, but the other week I did catch part of A Kind of Loving (Alan Bates, Junie Ritchie), which I hadn't seen since it aired on Canadian TV back in the '80s. It certainly didn't pull any punches -- or at least the part I saw didn't -- about the bleaker aspects of life and relationships.

I'll put Billy Liar on my list of things to see.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread