HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Classic Films (Group) » Charlie Chaplin hat, cane...

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 08:02 PM

Charlie Chaplin hat, cane sold at auction

One of Charlie Chaplin's bowler hats and a cane, the staple of Hollywood silent-era comedy, have fetched $60,000 at auction in New York.

Chaplin's hat and cane, which fetched more than the initial estimate, are synonymous with his Little Tramp character in films such as City Lights and Modern Times.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-19/charlie-chaplin-hat-and-cane-sold-at-auction/4379190

Whenever I read about these auctions, I find myself wishing I had money - serious money!

4 replies, 941 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Charlie Chaplin hat, cane sold at auction (Original post)
Matilda Nov 2012 OP
CBHagman Nov 2012 #1
Matilda Nov 2012 #2
CBHagman Nov 2012 #3
Matilda Nov 2012 #4

Response to Matilda (Original post)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:12 AM

1. I want these things enjoyed by the public...

Years back the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C., did an exhibit devoted to the American musical -- quite a wonderful show. Among the items displayed was Judy Garland's red dress from the Christmas Eve party in Meet Me in St. Louis. I'm glad I didn't miss that, and I'd be all for putting Charlie Chaplin's gear on display somewhere too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CBHagman (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:07 AM

2. And Nelson Eddy's cossack uniform from "Balalaika".

(The white one worn in the early scenes in the nightclub). It was auctioned on ebay a couple of years ago by Debbie Reynolds, who owned it, but the auction was private, and I don't know who or what organisation was successful. I hope it's in a museum somewhere, so the public can enjoy it.

Reply to this post

Response to Matilda (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 08:14 AM

3. I'm actually amazed some of these things are still around.

Where do costumes of yesteryear generally go, and how? Is it all dependent on studio ownership?

Reply to this post

Response to CBHagman (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 PM

4. I'd love to know the answer.

Imagine having the keys to the Adrian collection, for example. My knees go weak just thinking about what would be there. And yet, at least one item was in the possession of a performer - did Debbie Reynolds buy it, or was it given to her for some reason? And what happened to all the other treasures? I'm sure the studio would be well aware of their value, both monetary and artistic.

This is a mystery I'd love to see solved.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread