HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Classic Films (Group) » Just watched the original...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:54 AM

Just watched the original THE THIN MAN again earlier

Nick & Nora are so great
William Powell is so smooth and Myrna Loy is one of my favorite all time actors.
The banter between the two is fantastic.
I love a good mystery.

5 replies, 782 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just watched the original THE THIN MAN again earlier (Original post)
TeamPooka Nov 2012 OP
trublu992 Nov 2012 #1
driver8 Nov 2012 #2
TahitiNut Nov 2012 #3
TeamPooka Nov 2012 #4
TahitiNut Nov 2012 #5

Response to TeamPooka (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 02:07 AM

1. Love that Movie the series for that matter

Blu Ray please

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 04:03 PM

2. Love the whole series!!

William Powell and Myrna Loy together are awesome!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:33 AM

3. To me, it's interesting that the "state of the (film) art" was so tied to stage plays.

I grew up with that era's films on TV ... and loved the "drawing room comedies" and Bogart vehicles. "The Thin Man" was so popular that we got the TV series.

The approach to cinematography and art direction was almost 100% stage play, taking advantage of film as a means to have more scenery changes and far more complete props and scenery. The "sound stage" allowed them to complete a production without the nuicance of a live audience and plenty of time to build backdrops. The product was a stage play with a huge audience all seated perfectly with close-up vision of the action. The stars of the era were all trained in stage performance. This can be seen in the way they "play" to the stage front and hit marks that are clearly arranged to serve a virtual audience.

When I focus on those techniques, it's far easier to see why Orson Welles was such a genius with "Citizen Kane" ... inventing techniques still in use today.

Reply to this post

Response to TahitiNut (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:24 PM

4. You have to remember the limitations of their technology at the time....

The cameras were huge and couldn't move the way Scorsese does his tracking shots now.
They were confined usually to the sound-stage for power for the lights and cameras.
And recording sound Talkies was still in its infancy.

Reply to this post

Response to TeamPooka (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:50 PM

5. The Thin Man movie "franchise" lasted from 1934-1947.

Citizen Kane was 1941. Technology usually follows technique in a game of evolutionary leap-frog. The available technology for Citizen Kane wasn't all that much more flexible than The Thin Man. Indeed, the budget for the latter was probably far more generous, given the box office.

I think it's far more about the experience and background of the practitioners than the technology.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread