HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » EBay, Collectors, Flea Market & Antiques (Group) » Suspected in 20 antique m...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 08:37 AM

Suspected in 20 antique mall robberies

http://plymouthvoice.com/plymouth-man-charged-with-jewelry-theft-in-brooklyn-2/

They got him.

2 replies, 579 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Suspected in 20 antique mall robberies (Original post)
safeinOhio Nov 2012 OP
Vinca Dec 2012 #1
safeinOhio Dec 2012 #2

Response to safeinOhio (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:15 PM

1. The shop in southern Vermont where I sell was hit yesterday.

It happened in the afternoon when the place was busy. There were 2 men and a woman. They emptied out a shelf in a locked booth that contained diamond and gold jewelry. From what I heard, it was tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff gone in an instant. Fortunately, the dealers who were selling the jewelry had it insured. They got the thieves on tape and the police dusted for prints, so I hope someone is eventually caught. No one recognized them. None of us had any idea those locks could be compromised so easily. If you have anything in a locked case that has sliding glass, carefully push on the lock to be sure the glass won't bend enough to allow the other piece of sliding glass to push right over the lock. That's what happened in this case. The whole thing is pretty shocking.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Vinca (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 09:40 PM

2. This guy pried the bottom

Glass out of the bottom rail and the slide the glass out past the lock. I suggest putting a sliding lock at the very bottom of the glass. This makes it harder to pull out the glass past the lock. In the other bottom corner, screw a piece on the cabinet that blocks that corner of the glass from being pulled out.

We also had a guy either pick a few locks or had a master key. He was a tall older man of mixed race. Used a cane and had a short gray beard. To foil this, use 2 sliding locks of different makes. If you google "show case locks" you can find hard to pick locks.

Home Depo sells a stick on glass alarm for $9.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread