HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Anyone live in a condo fl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:44 PM

Anyone live in a condo flat? In a building? How much are your condo fees each month?

8 replies, 839 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anyone live in a condo flat? In a building? How much are your condo fees each month? (Original post)
applegrove Apr 2012 OP
Chan790 Apr 2012 #1
elleng Apr 2012 #2
Chan790 Apr 2012 #3
elleng Apr 2012 #4
Chan790 Apr 2012 #5
elleng Apr 2012 #6
Bolo Boffin Apr 2012 #7
mrmpa Apr 2012 #8

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 12:07 AM

1. I do and I have no idea because I sublet.

He gets that bill, he pays it out of my rent. I do know that they're substantial, like well in excess of $1000/mo. I know that it ain't getting us much either because the place is a mess and has been undergoing maintenance-construction of some sort or another the entire time I've lived here. Also the Condo Board is inundated with assholes.

NOT improvement, merely maintaining the status-quo and repairing the broken stuff...for 3 years. They're replacing the facade now because it nearly fell off on the head of a neighbor. Last year it was the electrical system because the power went out in the neighborhood for 15 minutes and half the building was out for 2 weeks. Before that it was structural. Currently 1 of 3 elevators works. It's currently hot as balls in DC and the Condo Board won't turn on the A/C because the board is made up of very old people who think that 82'F is cold. They banned the renters from the pool. They banned the renters from the sauna. Next week, they're voting on whether to ban us from the parking garage and require us to use the back-door. I'm considering Occupy the Laundry Room and Deny The Condo Owners Use of the Dryers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Chan790 (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:10 AM

2. Bad news, Chan.

Where in DC are you? Getting hotter this weekend.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:18 AM

3. Technically Silver Spring, MD.

Literally just over the MD border. I don't feel like MD, I'm closer to downtown via the S2/S4 bus than anything in MontCo worth seeing.

Reply to this post

Response to Chan790 (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:29 AM

4. I lived 3 miles south of the line, off of 16th St.,

took thoses buses to my office. I now stay part time w friend in Sil Spg/Aspen Hill + my apartment in Hagerstown. Friend pays some sort of community fees, and saves utilities by not turning a.c. on frequently, so in hot weather I go to my cool Hagerstown apartment. Couldn't STAND living in HOT.

Your 'landlord' pays $1000? condo fee, and lousy services? AWFUL!

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 09:52 AM

5. It's a bit more complete than that.

The condo board also holds the mortgage and pays all utilities so the condo fee includes electric, gas, water, whatever local taxes there are (I'm not a local so I have no idea.) and the mortgage payment in addition to the crappy services, but yeah...he's getting scammed by my estimation. Pretty sure the reason they won't turn on the A/C is because they're paying for it. He opens windows, showers multiple times a day and suffers it quietly.

He's foreign (Albania. Grew up under Soviet-communism, then in a war zone; has "Permanent Refugee Status") and thinks this is how it really is in America; he's a lawyer (contracts, international and immigration) so you can't explain anything to him because he drags it down into terms and contract law and he's terribly literal. Mostly I think he just doesn't care because we've never had a genocide, political purge or urban sniping warfare on our soil.

Reply to this post

Response to Chan790 (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 02:02 PM

6. And DC/SilSpg looks good to him!

Can't blame him too much; that Giant around the corner looks pretty good, eh?

I guess I kind of understand his point of view, but only 'kind of.' I'm a lawyer too, and know that being such means we understand the foundations of things AND how to solve PROBLEMS. YOUR problem may be that he doesn't recognize these matters as problems. Perspective has a lot to do with it.

Good that condo fee pays all that stuff; answers a lot of (some of) my questions.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 09:28 PM

7. I'm at $217 a month right now.

But about $80 of that is a special assessment for getting the buildings painted. First one in the history of the condo.

Water comes out of that. Our pool is tiny and we only have a couple of acres of land to keep up.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 11:48 PM

8. With parking it's $396 a month.......

this includes water, sewage, gas, use of heated pool, gym and whirlpool. There are 200 units. The maintenance fee is out of hand, the management company needs fired. There are 5 maintenance men and 2 custodians. When I bought there were 3 maintenance men and custodians were at about 32 hours a week. I know for a fact that one maintenance man (no certifications or specialties) is paid $27 an hour & he does absolutely nothing. Here's an example:

I have a short from my light switch to an overhead light fixture in my closet. His opinion of the problem was that "2 week
bulbs" were the problem. Then when it shorted out again (7 hours after it had been replaced) his suggestion was to
use 25 watt bulbs, so as to not overload the circuit!

The maintenance company also charges owners for repairs that are the responsibility of the Association. Unless you know the documents and are willing to fight, you end up paying. I fight. The board needs to get a handle on this company. He is running us into the ground. Every major repair coming up will have to be a special assessment, because nothing is going into the reserve fund.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread