HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Go ahead and shoot me but...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:07 PM

Go ahead and shoot me but I'm going to say it

The "Stay at Home Moms" war is stupid, childish, and a waste of freaking time and energy. I'm simply disgusted that women allow themselves to get sucked into this bunch of crap over and over and over again.

Get some freaking self-esteem! Life is about choices and some times choices are not really choices at all but simply a decision to do what needs to be done at the time. There's not "perfect" or "correct" way to be a family and each family's circumstances are unique. So, why can't people just quit being so defensive over this issue?

19 replies, 1934 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Iris (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:09 PM

1. Unless you post that in RKBA (gungeon),

you are likely safe...

But, I agree

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:11 PM

3. I might have just blown off enough steam to avoid that

but if I find my angst level rising again, I may just go there to end it all! lol!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:11 PM

2. I thought we had this argument in the 1970s.

I can't believe the crap the republicans are re-hashing.

They do not acknowledge that most women have to work outside the home because of the economy that they created.

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:12 PM

4. How do you know this "most women....."

I mean, really, even that is a HUGE assumption.

And, sadly, the arguments aren't with Republicans, but people who spend time and energy on these discussion boards.

Reply to this post

Response to Iris (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:46 PM

6. OK, "many" women, if you want to argue semantics.

Really.

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #6)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:29 AM

13. I know, I know.

But that's the problem with this whole argument. The underlying theme here is class, not choices. Someone posted in another thread related to this topic that most mothers who don't work do not have college degrees and cannot make enough money to cover childcare. There's been ample evidence in the past decade that "taking a break" is not really practical for women who want careers.

Again, as I said below, a lot of energy wasted on arguing with each other rather than addressing what's really going on. Why is this country wasting valuable talent by not creating more family-friendly work opportunities for both men and women?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:24 PM

5. "Stay at Home Moms" has a bit different meaning when you're a multi-millionaire

Someone who has multiple maids, nannies, gardeners, and several other domestic employees is just not the same thing as any middle class mom staying at home or otherwise.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:52 PM

7. With you.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #7)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:29 AM

14. Thanks!

It feels lonely out here sometimes!

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 12:07 AM

8. IMHO, it's not Ms. Romney's "choice" that

pisses people off. She had the money, she had the resources, she had the houses, the cars, the caretakers, and she had the right to make whatever choice she wanted.

What pisses people off is the arrogance of Ms. Romney trying to equate her "stay-at-home-Mom" experience with the experience of other mothers who didn't have the resources she did. She can't possibly know what it's like to worry about making the rent, putting food on the table and trying to balance a couple of jobs and having time to raise children without a father participating. Entrusting the shallow, tunnel-visioned 1% with laws effecting those of us who have had no such choices is just not a wise thing to do. I think President Obama gets it. In his "defense" of Ms. Romney, he spoke of his mother. We all know that his mother certainly didn't have the "choices" or resources Ms. Romney had. So, what we see is another Romney saying whatever it takes to garner votes. Well, chickie, it won't work with those of us who have had a different experience.

Reply to this post

Response to HeiressofBickworth (Reply #8)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:30 AM

15. Exaclty. So much is lost in this pitting of women against each other.

Real problems and issues are total getting buried. And I think it's not an accident.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 01:48 AM

9. I think if you are in Florida, we are allowed to shoot you now

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #9)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:13 AM

11. I'm in GA

so I think it's ok here but also proximity to FL could be a problem.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 01:58 AM

10. Thank you. So many

real important things to focus on.

Reply to this post

Response to emilyg (Reply #10)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:15 AM

12. It is truly a distraction. And a waste of energy for women in the 20s and 30s

I feel like women who are currently in this situation get more worked up about this for obvious reasons. I wonder how much it even matters after a certain age, when you're not in the thick of it all.

It's a damn shame that all that energy can't be used for something that would benefit all of us - like making sure public education isn't completely dismantled from K-16.

Reply to this post

Response to Iris (Reply #12)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 12:56 PM

16. Yes. Also children

and seniors going to bed hungry in this country. I just don't care about Mrs. Romney.

Reply to this post

Response to emilyg (Reply #16)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 02:35 PM

18. Exactly.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 01:57 PM

17. It's a distraction that isn't going to work this time

Ann Romney isn't winning any women over to unzip her hubby and find out what a softy he is.

I'd say about 99% of women have already made up their mind about him, and that her sales job isn't going to work.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #17)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 02:56 PM

19. I certainly hope so. I just wish young women could stand outside of the rheotric

for a bit. Not take it so personally. And then start to build their own vocabulary (SAHM is a hideous phrase) for the lives of mothers in this country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread