HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » A Literary Agency in San ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 13, 2012, 10:00 PM

A Literary Agency in San Francisco has requested to read my script on the 1946 Chinese Trials

of the Japanese officers responsible for the Rape of Nanking.

I am asking my beloved DU community. I am going to write my synopsis of the project here. What is your opinion of this work?

Title: 300,000

Genre: Historical Action Drama

Logline: Only a trial of international importance is fitting in judging horror of indescribable proportions.

Pitch: Judgment At Nuremberg in 1946 China.

This is the story never before made into a motion picture by American film company; a story of mass genocide, unbridled evil and redemption. This is the story of the Nanjing Massacre.
In 1937, Japanese surrounded and laid waste to the Chinese capital of Nanjing, a move that was militarily different. What followed earned the city the nickname “The City of Life and Death.”
After WW2, in 1946, after the Americans tried the Japanese, China felt abandoned. They wanted vengeance against those that brutalized them, and they would not be denied. They convened a war crimes tribunal for the leaders of the Nanjing Massacre
In the United States, the NY Times sends columnist Morgan Wasserman to write opinion pieces on the Chinese tribunals. Being Jewish and surviving the Holocaust by being in The United States, Wasserman feels guilty and destroyed. He reported on the Nuremburg trials, which only heightened his feelings. Wasserman has lost his grip on his humanitarianism. Add to the fact that Wasserman does not want to go to China and he feels he is at a crossroads.
In China, he meets his translator, Xiao Mei-Hua, a pretty quiet woman who survived the Nanjing Massacre. She holds many terrible visions and memories inside her, and feels ashamed that she survived.
As the trial begins, Wasserman begins to learn more about the Chinese, what the Japanese did and cannot fathom the depths of brutality. He learns everything he can from Mei-Hua and begins to find himself falling in love with her, even though she resists him at every chance.
As the trial continues, Wasserman begins to understand Mei-Hua and she him. Slowly, she begins to open up to him, falling for him too. One night, in a fit of weakness, Mei-Hua tells Morgan her story. Morgan decides Mei-Hua will be the subject of is article.
The Chinese convict the Japanese leaders, Morgan remains in China to be with Mei-Hua, Mei-Hua accepts the foreign man and China begins to rebuild itself, stronger, better and more modern than before. Mei-Hua and Wasserman prove that out of intense tragedy, love will find a way.
We end with on screen epilogue of the aftermath of the Nanjing massacre with the word’s “never forget” put on the screen.

5 replies, 1061 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Literary Agency in San Francisco has requested to read my script on the 1946 Chinese Trials (Original post)
Suji to Seoul Feb 2012 OP
dimbear Feb 2012 #1
HopeHoops Feb 2012 #2
geardaddy Feb 2012 #3
CaliforniaPeggy Feb 2012 #4
TuxedoKat Feb 2012 #5

Response to Suji to Seoul (Original post)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:42 AM

1. Best of luck with your script. A little known and terrible part of history.

Walk carefully through the pitfalls of the publishing industry.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:39 AM

2. Cross-post this in the Writing group.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 15, 2012, 03:10 PM

3. Good luck!

I totally would love to read that script.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 15, 2012, 03:53 PM

4. I really like what you have here!

I did not know what to expect when I started reading, but as I read, I found myself more and more enthralled by it. Using the couple as a metaphor for what happened and how redemption can occur is a very powerful thing.

Please let us know what the literary agent says.

This synopsis is enthralling.

Thank you.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 15, 2012, 05:30 PM

5. It sounds intriguing

good luck with it. I'd like to read it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread