HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:02 AM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (Avalux) on Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:26 AM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

19 replies, 14267 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
Avalux Feb 2012 OP
Spock_is_Skeptical Feb 2012 #1
Avalux Feb 2012 #6
Lydia Leftcoast Feb 2012 #2
Avalux Feb 2012 #7
MrCoffee Feb 2012 #3
Highway61 Feb 2012 #4
Avalux Feb 2012 #8
Highway61 Feb 2012 #11
Lydia Leftcoast Feb 2012 #13
Rochester Feb 2012 #5
Doc Holliday Feb 2012 #9
SCantiGOP Feb 2012 #10
Avalux Feb 2012 #12
OriginalGeek Feb 2012 #14
fbcx May 2013 #15
hrmjustin May 2013 #16
benroy Feb 2014 #17
y1htak May 2014 #18
Olddad71 Sunday #19

Response to Avalux (Original post)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:16 AM

1. get decent internet (not sure about clear) & roku

Roku 2 xs I recommend. You can access your hulu, netflix, and a whole ton of other content via "channels."

Easy peasy. One time purchase, right now I see they have 10$ off special on the Roku. Your only monthly cost would be your hulu or netflix, etc subscriptions and of course your internet.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Spock_is_Skeptical (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:37 AM

6. Roku...I read about it, sounds as if that's what I need to get.

Thank you. Now I need to figure out which ISP to go with.

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:20 AM

2. Clear Internet has been getting very mixed reviews online

Evidently, they do choke users, despite their claims to the contrary, and their customer service is not good.

It's basically Sprint's Internet service, and when I found that out, I went to the Sprint store and asked the salesperson whether their Internet could handle my level of usage, including lots of online research for my translation work and frequent streaming of movies and TV. "Not at the current stage of development," he said.

Ask AT&T if they have a basic-basic cable package, one with local channels only. That's what I have from Comcast, and it provides a reliable Internet stream, good reception for the little TV that I watch on my analog set, and an e-mail service that doesn't arbitrarily bounce e-mails without telling me (which is what Qwest did with my e-mail, including mail from customers). If there were an alternative to Comcast, I'd jump at it, but I need a reliable broadband stream and an e-mail server that doesn't decide that mail from one of my best customers is spam.

Response to Lydia Leftcoast (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:38 AM

7. Good to know about Clear.

Maybe it would be better to stick with ATT for internet; I can drop TV altogether and just keep internet.

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:23 AM

3. If it's available, check on DSL

I pay $30/month for DSL only (no home phone) and it's plenty fast enough for me to stream movies/music.

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:25 AM

4. Whatever you decide

Get a Roku box and router....It has everything you'll ever need...hands down

Response to Highway61 (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 AM

8. Another vote for Roku.

Thanks. Going to order a box today.

Response to Avalux (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:54 AM

11. Make sure

You check what you need and the cost for a router. I didn't know anything about Roku but there is a forum here that will answer any questions you may have. Some really great people on this board. All I know is once you get it hooked up you will LOVE their News channels, music channels etc. etc. Have fun!

Response to Highway61 (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 01:30 PM

13. And if all else fails

you can hook your Roku up via an Ethernet cable. I decided that was more dependable than wi-fi.

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:33 AM

5. An antenna for TV - a once and done expense, $0/month thereafter :)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:40 AM

9. If you don't mind my asking....

What specific gripes do you have with U-Verse? I am genuinely curious.

We've been waiting for it to come available in our neighborhood because it would be far less expensive than our current cable company "bundle." See, my wife works for AT & T and so would get that lovely employee discount.

But if it's shit, then I'd like to know before I burn a bridge, so to speak.

Response to Doc Holliday (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 11:42 AM

10. I have U-verse

and we've been very happy with it. Have phone, cable and internet bundled. My promotion period just ran out so it's a bit pricey, but I plan to drop some of the movie packages we have to get the cost down.

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 12:15 PM

12. Price and for a whole bunch of nothing.

I'm paying for channels that I'll never watch, it seems TV is nothing more than reality shows. I have maybe 5 channels I watch on a regular basis. That's it. I was with Time Warner for years, switched to ATT because I thought it would save me $$. No different really.

Until these services offer channels separately instead of bundles, I'm done.

For you though, with an employee discount, might be ok.

Wed Feb 8, 2012, 01:49 PM

14. We switched from Brighthouse to Uverse

about a year ago.

At the time it was cheaper and they had whole house DVR while brighthouse didn't.

But the internet was slower. We paid for "up to" 20megs down but I rarely ever got better than 5~7 megs down.

And then the prices started creeping up so we looked around again and found Brighthouse had joined the rest of the universe and had whole house DVRs PLUS they were now cheaper than the similar AT&T bundle AND with the Lightning service I get 39megs down compared 5~7 at ATT. So we switched back.

Also the AT&T cable boxes don't have clocks on them. You might not think that is a big thing but it was terribly annoying when we had been used to looking at the box for the time.

And ATT boxes don't have sleep timers. I like to go to bed watching TV and I fall asleep while watching but it's a pain in the ass to wake up enough to turn the set off. Brighthouse has a sleep timer.

So with brighthouse I get clocks, MUCH faster internet, sleep timer, all the same channels and it's cheaper per month.

Fri May 24, 2013, 04:18 PM

15. Had it 2 months and still can't get email

OK I took the first bite of the Apple to save a few bucks. Stupidest thing I ever did. Since I went on Uverse I haven't been able to configure my Outlook to communicate with my long held .sbcglobal.net account. Apparently they switched it over from the ATT servers to the Uverse servers and since then nada! Oh, I've read all the "Support" pages, I've reset my password more times than I can count, I've been the online chat route and that got it to work for a day until I logged back on and it had forgotten my password all over again. Then I did something even stupider...I allowed myself to be conned into paying $49 for upgraded outside support. Result? The same as the online chat. Good for a day then NADA! This system has the memory of an severely impacted ADHD 2 year old. The idea that a technology company providing email service cannot properly interface with an email client as ubiquitous as MS Outlook is absolutely unfathomable and unforgivable. Now the real kick in the groin! Talked to DirecTV today about going back and they were all love and forgiveness and crediting me back my $160 early cancellation fee and a cheaper and even superior to what I had system, until I asked about Internet and Email. Seems that the only partner they have to provide that service in my area is UVERSE!

On top of all this, Uverse TV is even gooseier than DirecTV was when we first got it. Mute it and you have to turn it off to unmute. The main swithc box has to be turned off and the system has to reboot frequently. The response time from their remote channel changers is SLOOOOOOOW! You spend a ton of time customizing each TV to hide all the cra* channels you don't want to watch and BINGO in a couple of days everything is back to where it was before and they keep adding cra* like Lincoln Reimagined (an entire channel ad for Lincoln automobles!) Hair Replacement Channels and God knows what else. If you are even REMOTELY happy with what you have, save yourself a ton of pain and stay where you are. Uverse sux!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to fbcx (Reply #15)

Fri May 24, 2013, 04:22 PM

16. Welcome to DU my friend!

Wed Feb 26, 2014, 03:47 PM

17. ATT Uverse dump

I had u-verse. Get out quick. The only way I could restore my regular At & T phone service to normal was to contact the President of AT & T by email. I still have issues with them. I would check your local services and have them installed before you cancel U-Verse. I would go with Ruko for TV. You have a one time fee from Ruko. (You get it at Wal-Mart or likewise stores). It works off your wireless router.

Tue May 27, 2014, 03:59 PM

18. ATT forced us to get uverse as they are supposedly removing the old lines & updating to fiberoptic

We only use a local line for regular telephone and internet to read email. We didn't want to upgrade but just got forced into changing to the uverse version of those today. We are very unhappy about that. They tried to sell us TV package but we don't have nor desire to make time to watch TV. My idea of a fun time is to be outside, not stuck indoors tied to some electronic screen. I may hook up the TV my sister gave me one of these days when I absolutely don't have anything else to do.

Sun Sep 14, 2014, 06:38 AM

19. Uverse pricing themselves out of business

I have uverse and recently my bill jumped over $60/month and I called them about a price cut and they said the best they could do was knock $50 of the increase off if I signed another contract.

I explained to them that I could get charter with more channels and 60mbps internet for $20 cheaper than I was paying them before the increase.

I've heard all the Charter bashing, but the district manager lives in my subdivision and the service is flawless, with the high speed averaging around 52mbps.

Att said that was all they could do & my billing cycle is over and I have an appointment for the Charter guy to do an install on Tuesday.

Att has been huge black hole as far as cost & service.