HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I have a 22 year old in t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 10:46 AM

I have a 22 year old in the Army and his unit is all "clichish" with no comeradety.

Has anyone experienced this in their unit? On top of that, can you switch units and if so how? He hates it. It's like a jr. high locker room where you get daily wedgies.

Thoughts?

10 replies, 812 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply I have a 22 year old in the Army and his unit is all "clichish" with no comeradety. (Original post)
EdwardSmith74 Jul 2013 OP
bluedigger Jul 2013 #1
EdwardSmith74 Jul 2013 #2
bluedigger Jul 2013 #3
EdwardSmith74 Jul 2013 #4
bluedigger Jul 2013 #5
EdwardSmith74 Jul 2013 #6
sarge43 Jul 2013 #7
EdwardSmith74 Jul 2013 #8
Callmecrazy Jul 2013 #9
Lee-Lee Jul 2013 #10

Response to EdwardSmith74 (Original post)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:03 AM

1. Hazing can be pretty brutal in the Army.

How long has he been in the unit, and in the Army? It is not easy to change units, but you can get moved from one squad to another without too much drama.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bluedigger (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:09 AM

2. 2 1/2 years. 18 months to go. He's working on a switch, including branches. It sucks.

He wants to get deployed. I don't want him to because it's too damn dangerous. Ultimately it is his choice, but I'm advising against that route.

Reply to this post

Response to EdwardSmith74 (Reply #2)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:21 AM

3. Well, he's been in long enough to know how it works, then.

People he dislikes will transfer out, new ones will come in, and so it goes. 18 months can seem like a very long time to a young guy, but we know better, right? Unless he plans to re-up, his chances for a personnel action or transfer are not good.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:27 AM

4. He wants to stay, but not necessarily in the same branch, and definitely not the same unit.

Reply to this post

Response to EdwardSmith74 (Reply #4)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:31 AM

5. He should start looking into possibilities now then.

But his best opportunity will be when he talks to his reenlistment officer - that is when he has a little leverage on the system.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #5)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:37 AM

6. He hit the recruiters offices this morning.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:38 AM

7. Sounds like a command problem

Unfortunately there are commanders/noncoms who either encourage this (if they're fighting among themselves, they're not bothing me) or, worse, are indifferent (too busy being a careerist). Also possible commander is totally clueless -- doesn't know what to do and the noncoms aren't about to help.

As for advice, keep quiet, grin, do his work the best he can and keep in mind, like a bad meal, this too shall pass. Also, remember this, so it doesn't happen to his subordinates.

Reply to this post

Response to sarge43 (Reply #7)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:55 AM

8. He's 22. I remember when I was that age and I NEVER kept quiet. He talked to 3 COs today.

They all told him to shut up and do his business. I don't consider that to be honorable conduct by any of the three.

I heard his side of the conversations and his was littered with "Sir".

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 06:56 PM

9. As a vet I can tell you...

that a punch to the face of the wedgie dude will force the NCO's to do something. But I think the best person to talk to is the Unit Chaplain. Religious or not, the power of the God Squad goes a long way with the management of social issues in the Unit.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 08:10 AM

10. Most units have their cliques

I have found that it most often breaks down right along racial lines, but some units really fragment. I always found it was worse with the females than the males, but my perspective may be skewed.

What are his exact issues?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread