HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue May 7, 2013, 05:26 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (fleur-de-lisa) on Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:54 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

13 replies, 943 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
fleur-de-lisa May 2013 OP
Liberal Veteran May 2013 #1
fleur-de-lisa May 2013 #7
Sekhmets Daughter May 2013 #2
fleur-de-lisa May 2013 #8
Sekhmets Daughter May 2013 #12
grilled onions May 2013 #3
fleur-de-lisa May 2013 #9
ballardgirl May 2013 #4
fleur-de-lisa May 2013 #13
Moondog May 2013 #5
Tuesday Afternoon May 2013 #6
hunter May 2013 #10
winter is coming May 2013 #11

Response to fleur-de-lisa (Original post)

Tue May 7, 2013, 05:37 PM

1. If you aren't compensated for your migraines, you are doing it wrong.

j/k....

I have them also, and they suck the very life out of you. There have been times after the pain stopped, it took days to feel normal again.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Liberal Veteran (Reply #1)

Tue May 7, 2013, 11:46 PM

7. Yes, they absolutely drain the life out of you . . .

But how am I doing it wrong? Do tell!

Tue May 7, 2013, 05:45 PM

2. I used to get migraines that lasted up to 2 weeks!

They began when I was a child and there was no telling my mother about a headache. Pain, light & noise sensitivity and nausea the entire time. As a new mother, my pediatrician would make me so crazy, I would lose the vision in my left eye and have to drive home from his office with a newborn and imperfect vision.

I am no longer bothered by them...In fact I think my last may have been 20 years ago... Go figure!

Hope you feel better soon!

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #2)

Tue May 7, 2013, 11:52 PM

8. Thank you!

I have been told by several women who suffered from migraines that they tend to go away when menopause sets it. I don't know which is worse . . . early menopause or migraines. Right now, my brain is screaming 'Come on menopause, what the hell are you waiting for'! I'm considering jumping out my window, but my house is merely 2 stories tall . . . just high enough to cause some serious breaks.

Response to fleur-de-lisa (Reply #8)

Wed May 8, 2013, 11:11 AM

12. Hehehehe

Migraines are worse! DO NOT JUMP! But I do know that feeling!

Tue May 7, 2013, 05:54 PM

3. Is That All?

This is a very normal comment for almost any medical condition that is chronic,there is no cure and often little to help it,and often stated by people who think you are looking for attention, looking for a way to get out of your social calendar or just by the know it alls who find most medical subjects far too dull for table talk. It is made worse with conditions that seem to be invisible to the untrained eye. I have arthritis,extremely visible but few will deny I have "something". My best friend gets migraines and has fibromyalgia. Her head could be pounding for several days but I just look in her eyes to know the pain is there and yet never know of her torture those days unless she tells people. Fewer yet understand her fibro because she looks ok.Again the pain lurks under the surface.If you break a leg everyone understands because they see it.
I sympathize with your pain. I hope one day people will have more patience for those who suffer from all the medical conditions out there.

Response to grilled onions (Reply #3)

Tue May 7, 2013, 11:59 PM

9. I can relate . . .

on top of the frequent migraines, I have fibromyalgia and the worst case of insomnia my neurologist has ever seen. And they all affect each other. Lack of sleep almost always leads to migraines. Migraines result in more fibromyalgia problems, including poor sleep. One medication helps a specific problem, but wreaks havoc on my system, leading to more side effects. It's a vicious cycle.

Your friend has me deepest sympathy. She is lucky to have a faithful friend like you.

Tue May 7, 2013, 06:10 PM

4. Have you tried

an anti-inflammatory diet? Many migraine sufferers have an intolerance to nightshades (tomato, potato, peppers, eggplant, paprika, cayenne, etc.) that is resolved somewhat by diet change. I've been nightshade-free for a couple years now and get migraines only a few times a year vs almost every day. I figured out that the wonderful salads I was eating at lunch (with tomato) were causing my afternoon headaches. The diet also helped my arthritis inflammation. It sounds too difficult, but this diet change was the biggest health improvement for me. I am now eating more interesting foods like quinoa, sweet potatoes/yams (not nightshades), kale, greens, beets, and am loving it.

Response to ballardgirl (Reply #4)

Thu May 9, 2013, 08:36 PM

13. Yes, I've tried eliminating food triggers . . .

Mine seem to be soy and peanuts, but citrus, tomato and onion also cause me problems. It seemed to work for a few months, but I didn't get lasting relief.

Tue May 7, 2013, 06:16 PM

5. That is a term I have never heard.

I had a step-sister who, as a teenager, was a migraine sufferer. As a result, I have never believed that they were figments of the sufferer's imagination. A brutal condition. I'm glad I have never suffered from it. My sympathies.

Tue May 7, 2013, 06:41 PM

6. migraines suck. feel better soon.

I have only had two in my lifetime and they were debilitating.

Wed May 8, 2013, 12:44 AM

10. Migraines are the worst.

If I'm lucky I just go blind followed by an intense headache.

Bad one I'm curled up on the bathroom floor in the dark with my eyes closed puking whenever I hear something. Death would be okay.

Better with emergency meds but even with those I'm still useless for the day.

Wed May 8, 2013, 10:19 AM

11. Mine were bad enough that I was unable to work for years.

And now I'm unable to work because I've been out of the workforce.

Hope this headache passes soon for you. Mine got a lot better with the approach of menopause.