HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Thinking of switching fro...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 09:33 PM

Thinking of switching from Comcast/Xfinity to CenturyLink. Yea or nay?

I was recently sold on a bundle from Comcast (internet & TV), and was told first 30 days would be free, yada yada. Long story short, they haven't honored anything the sales rep sold me on. Unfortunately, it looks like my only options in my neighborhood are Comcast or CenturyLink. Looks like I can get CL for a little bit better speeds, at a slightly lower rate with basically the same TV package. I've never used them before though, so I have no idea if they're any good or not.

11 replies, 6138 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thinking of switching from Comcast/Xfinity to CenturyLink. Yea or nay? (Original post)
opiate69 Apr 2013 OP
Sekhmets Daughter Apr 2013 #1
opiate69 Apr 2013 #2
Sekhmets Daughter Apr 2013 #3
opiate69 Apr 2013 #4
Sekhmets Daughter Apr 2013 #5
opiate69 Apr 2013 #7
Sekhmets Daughter Apr 2013 #9
csziggy Apr 2013 #6
opiate69 Apr 2013 #8
csziggy Apr 2013 #10
opiate69 Apr 2013 #11

Response to opiate69 (Original post)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 09:45 PM

1. Ask your neighbors....

Different providers seem to better in some areas than others. The best I've ever had was AT&T U-verse...but I have a neighbor who moved here from out of state and he said U-Verse was horrible there. I have Comcast now... it's okay but it's my only option here.

They all lie...The providers pay the salespeople minimum wage, or slightly above, and commissions + bonuses for each account and 'extra' they sign up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 09:48 PM

2. Good point..

How pathetic is it that I didn't think of the neighbors first? Man, neighborhoods have changed so much since I was a kid. (And hell, that wasn't all that long ago. 70s/80s)

Reply to this post

Response to opiate69 (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 09:56 PM

3. Get your sons to ask their friends parents as well!

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 09:57 PM

4. Funny you should mention that lol. One of their friends just came over and I ambushed him

Reply to this post

Response to opiate69 (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 10:58 PM

5. Ambushed! Indeed!

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:14 PM

7. lol.. yeah..

He's a good kid, but I don't think he quite knows how to process a big, hairy, tattooed Dad, being from a military (and Filipino) family! He's over here all the time, but when I came out and actually addressed him directly, he looked terrified!

Reply to this post

Response to opiate69 (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:35 PM

9. Oh the poor kid...how old is he?

Reply to this post

Response to opiate69 (Original post)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 PM

6. I've got CenturyLink PrismTV in Tallahassee Florida

A good distance from town and I love it. Their DVR is better than the one I had with DirecTV, the picture is great. Every so often I do see a buffer problem, as when an internet video is downloading and the playback has to pause to let it catch up, but that has been less and less in the last few months.

Their internet has never been a problem. Speeds are good, customer service is good. I'm a happy user.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:15 PM

8. Cool. thanks for the input.. I'm definitely leaning that way..

as long as the kids can play BlackOps 3 online, without lagging me out here on the computer, while the wife watches Hulu in the bedroom lol.

Reply to this post

Response to opiate69 (Reply #8)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:54 PM

10. I don't play any action games, so I can't tell about the lag

But I'm getting good bandwidth as part of the package - TV, telephone and internet.

Here, they had the service up at the local office and you could go in an try it out before you signed on. Maybe you can test the games that way?

I do miss NatGeo Wild - I've been complaining about them not carrying it since before we signed up. A local channel they carry that I love is WTL METV. It carries lots of old TV shows 24 hours a day - Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Mission Impossible, Rockford Files, Hawaii 50, etc.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #10)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 12:17 AM

11. Hmm.. I'll have to see if they have an office handy.. I imagine they must.

I was kind of figuring I'd be able to get Root sports so I could watch the Mariners (I know.. why???), but even Comcast doesn't carry it on their low-end package anymore, and from what I saw neither does CL. But, if I can get my CBC Hockey Night in Canada, Spike TV for Bar Rescue, and a couple others, I'll be happy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread