HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » 50 things they never told...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:10 PM

50 things they never told you about being a chef

It's all quite seriously true, and quite seriously funny.

http://smellthecake.blogspot.com/2012/11/50-things-they-never-told-you-about.html?m=1

2 replies, 1501 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply 50 things they never told you about being a chef (Original post)
sir pball Mar 2013 OP
fizzgig Mar 2013 #1
talkingmime Mar 2013 #2

Response to sir pball (Original post)

Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:26 PM

1. looks about right to me

my husband got so fed up with kitchens that he went back to moving furniture.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sir pball (Original post)

Tue Mar 26, 2013, 04:51 PM

2. "You will develop a creepy obsession with knives." This is absolutely true.

I can SO, SO, SO understand that. I have a beautiful Whustoff Grand Prix II that's about 13 years old. I've never had to sharpen it and it can still slice a tomato so thin you can easily see through the slice. It will also halve a watermelon faster than anything else I've seen. I know this sounds like a late-night infomercial, but If I could have exactly one kitchen knife for the rest of my life, it would be that one.

One REALLY cool thing about this knife the "tang". If you put the tip on a cutting board and push straight down, it will bend just over 90 degrees and return to its original shape unharmed. I can't stand dull knives.

Something else (and rather silly) are those four-packs of cheap tiny paring knives you can get at the Dollar Tree. They're exactly the opposite type of knife, but they're always sharp when you buy them, don't take up much space, and are great for slicing mushrooms and other quick tasks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread