HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Good to know - Chocolate ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:44 PM

Good to know - Chocolate Toxicity Calculator for Dogs

I had a few chocolate chips in a bowl on my bed that I had been snacking on. I take a bathroom break and come back to find my little Schnoodle helping herself. Eeeek! Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats! So I google "dog ate chocolate" and came upon a vet site with this cool little calculator.

http://www.askavetquestion.com/chocolate_toxicity.php

It looks like she should be fine. She only ate an ounce at most and she weighs 16 pounds. I thought it might be something the dog owners would want to bookmark.

5 replies, 1128 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Good to know - Chocolate Toxicity Calculator for Dogs (Original post)
TexasBushwhacker Jan 2013 OP
Moondog Jan 2013 #1
TexasBushwhacker Jan 2013 #2
hollysmom Jan 2013 #3
Major Nikon Jan 2013 #4
TexasBushwhacker Jan 2013 #5

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Original post)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:10 PM

1. Nice.

Been thinking about getting a dog to amuse my Maine Coon. So I saved the link. And, in any event, I forwarded this along to several dog-owning friends.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Moondog (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 PM

2. This pup and our Russian Blue are best friends n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TexasBushwhacker (Original post)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 07:19 PM

3. They don't do cake probably because the chocolate amount may vary

One day I was cooking dinner for company and went out for a short time, when I returned the dog had jumped on the counter and eaten an entire cake box from the bakery with the chocolate cake in it. She was fine, but we had no desert for dinner. She even ate the cardboard box!!! I was torn between getting angry (I had just adopted her and never heard of a dog doing that before) and worrying about it making her sick.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TexasBushwhacker (Original post)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 07:29 PM

4. A 70lb dog would have to eat 10oz of milk chocolate before even mild toxicity would occur

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Major Nikon (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 07:35 PM

5. Yeah, the problems are usually when a dog eats a whole bag of chocolate chips

Those are 12 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate which is about 3 times as toxic as milk chocolate.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread