HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I had no idea Alton Brown...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:14 PM

I had no idea Alton Brown was racist and sexist...

I always thought of him like a food version of the Mythbusters

But it turns out he's a fundie, a homophobe and a racist.

http://cleanplatter.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/the-taste-of-disillusionment/

66 replies, 20689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 66 replies Author Time Post
Reply I had no idea Alton Brown was racist and sexist... (Original post)
Taverner Jan 2013 OP
Myrina Jan 2013 #1
amuse bouche Jan 2013 #43
sadbear Jan 2013 #2
d_r Jan 2013 #3
lunasun Jan 2013 #41
alarimer Jan 2013 #4
In_The_Wind Jan 2013 #5
OriginalGeek Jan 2013 #6
Taverner Jan 2013 #7
OriginalGeek Jan 2013 #8
katjaneway Jan 2013 #9
hrmjustin Jan 2013 #10
katjaneway Jan 2013 #11
uppityperson Jan 2013 #13
katjaneway Jan 2013 #16
uppityperson Jan 2013 #18
uppityperson Jan 2013 #20
katjaneway Jan 2013 #47
Agschmid Jan 2013 #25
hrmjustin Jan 2013 #14
Agschmid Jan 2013 #26
uppityperson Jan 2013 #12
katjaneway Jan 2013 #15
uppityperson Jan 2013 #17
katjaneway Jan 2013 #21
uppityperson Jan 2013 #22
katjaneway Jan 2013 #27
uppityperson Jan 2013 #29
katjaneway Jan 2013 #31
Agschmid Jan 2013 #33
uppityperson Jan 2013 #35
katjaneway Jan 2013 #38
uppityperson Jan 2013 #39
katjaneway Jan 2013 #46
Phentex Jan 2013 #48
Phentex Jan 2013 #23
Agschmid Jan 2013 #24
klook Jan 2013 #30
katjaneway Jan 2013 #32
klook Jan 2013 #34
Agschmid Jan 2013 #36
hibbing Jan 2013 #37
lunasun Jan 2013 #40
kurtzapril4 Jan 2013 #45
RebelOne Jan 2013 #44
bench scientist Jan 2013 #61
Heidi Jan 2013 #55
AngryOldDem Jan 2013 #56
cordelia Jan 2013 #59
progressoid Jan 2013 #19
GoneOffShore Jan 2013 #28
Myrina Jan 2013 #49
GoneOffShore Jan 2013 #51
Myrina Jan 2013 #53
GoneOffShore Jan 2013 #54
amuse bouche Jan 2013 #42
OriginalGeek Jan 2013 #50
GoneOffShore Jan 2013 #52
alphafemale Jan 2013 #57
Duppers Jan 2013 #58
Honeycombe8 Jan 2013 #60
OriginalGeek Jan 2013 #62
Dash87 Jan 2013 #63
harmonicon Jan 2013 #64
Bucky Jan 2013 #65
Kablooie Jan 2013 #66

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:16 PM

1. Oh my :(

I have practically no heroes anymore. Sigh.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Myrina (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:12 AM

43. Ain't that the truth

It's really tough, the first time you discover someone you admire is really a creep

C'est la vie

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:40 PM

2. Kick

Lots of Alton worshipers here (former one right here). People need to know who they idolize.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:56 PM

3. wow

how to get spit in hush puppies

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #3)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:42 AM

41. Yep I worked in kitchens + I seen what some cooks will do to asshole patron demands

spit only if he and baby were lucky
oh and fyi -some were very expensive restaurants -they get the biggest assholes as customers imo

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:04 PM

4. Well, he did have a point about Walmart

But he is a bit hypocritical if he thinks Chinese canned good are bad because they have little regulation, when he just a few minutes before railed on the USDA and FDA. Those agencies are, if anything, underfunded. They do not have enough inspectors, so that they have to rely on corporations to police themselves and, judging by the increasing number of food recalls, they don't do a very good job of it.

But, yeah, what an asshole.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:08 PM

5. ~ K ~

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:39 PM

6. Read the comments from Chad

and his conversation with the writer of the blog. I'll admit I didn't know AB was a Republican (but that doesn't automatically disqualify him from being thought well of). I freely admit to being biased toward not wanting AB to be an asshole, racist homophobe as my daughter and I have been enjoying his show since she was 10 years old (She's 22 now).

But I don't think, after reading that conversation between author and Chad, that things are as bad as they seem. Hell, I don't want canned Chinese chili either but I will eat tons of other Chinese things. I hate Wal-Mart as much as he seems to and if had half a clue how to do it, I'd try to buy all my food from local farmers and co-ops which is what AB seems to be pushing.

I'd like to hear from AB himself regarding the gay joke. Or even from other gay people what their thoughts on it were. I need perspective that I don't have and would appreciate thoughtful instruction. It didn't seem homophobic as much as just not funny but, like I said, I may lack the perspective or even the will to see any hate there. I do very much so have the will to be educated though.

Finally, I'd hate to have to throw out my autographed AB books. We went to a book signing appearance of his several years ago. He was utterly charming and delightful to every single person there. He spoke for about 45 minutes and then set up shop at a table to sign anything and everything anybody brought. You didn't have to buy his book to get an autograph. He was signing peoples utility bill envelopes, book store bags, scrap paper, receipts from other shopping. Everything. He told us up front that the store had agreed to stay open (for signing at least if not purchasing) as long as there were people in line (And it was a LOOOONG line). We got to him after midnight and there were plenty of people behind us so I know he was there well past 2. And, on top of that, for people who could not stay but still wanted an autograph, he let them leave their books and papers and after everyone in line was done, he signed that giant stack of books and the store staff kept them for the people to come get at their convenience.

I know my personal experience is just one guy's. (and wife and daughter) but so is the blogger's.

But fuck him if he's a racist homophobe asshole. I'm not ready to believe that yet but will have no use for him if shown to be so.

Reply to this post

Response to OriginalGeek (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:40 PM

7. Don't throw out your books

Sell them if anything

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #7)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:43 PM

8. lol, I may not get much cash

unless Stormfront has a classifieds forum?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:31 PM

9. Wrong

Alton Brown is not a racist or a sexist. He's a lot of things that bug me, but neither of those. How dare you spout that from one random post. I read that post a while back and yes, I was surprised. However, what he did was try to be funny. He's not a comedian, he's a teacher. Even comedians bomb and say things that are completely horrible things to say, thinking it's funny at the time.
But you want to believe he is racist? He lives in freaking GEORGIA. Try watching Feasting on Asphalt sometime. Does he look like he abhors all the African-Americans he's interviewing? Doesn't look like he hates them in the slightest. Believe it or not, in Atlanta, the word "Negro" is not offensive to most. It's how he was raised.
I've met him 4 times, and he's been nothing but sweet. Maybe a little rough, but always nice.
And yes, he's a gun-toting conservative. That doesn't make him a bad person. Yes, he goes to a church that believes that Gay people can be "cured". That doesn't mean he believes it. But if he does, I'm not going to hate him for it.
You believed one thing about Alton Brown, read a single post out of thousands, and suddenly ya'lls souls are crushed because your idol wasn't who you thought he was. Wake up - they're never who you think they are. But I know one thing he's not, and that's definitely racist.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 PM

10. Anyone that belongs to a church that believes gay can be cured is not intelligent.

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:40 PM

11. Okay

Then I'll say that people who believe in God are not intelligent because there's no proof. I'm not saying that Gays can or can not be cured, but if that's what they BELIEVE, then that's what they believe. Doesn't make them stupid.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #11)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:42 PM

13. Do you believe Gays can be cured? What do you believe? I won't call you stupid, either way.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #13)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:48 PM

16. Personally...

I believe they are born that way and it's something that can't be "fixed".

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #16)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:52 PM

18. "if that's what they BELIEVE, then that's what they believe. Doesn't make them stupid." I disagree.

believing something with all evidence showing there is no basis in reality does mean they are stupid.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:57 PM

20. Why should being Gay need to be "fixed"?

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #20)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:10 PM

47. I didn't see this post yesterday :P

I don't think they need to be "fixed", I was saying that some people try to fix them and it can't be "fixed" because I believe that's how they were born. That's all.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:21 PM

25. This was an "Okay" start... what happened? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #11)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:47 PM

14. Yes it does make them stupid.

There is no proof at all that shows gays can become straight. I am gay and have many friends that have been through this criminal and tragic so called "therapy". There is a reason that in CA they have made this "therapy" illegal for minors.

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:22 PM

26. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:41 PM

12. But those comments were racist and homophobic. You agree with that, right?

Are you saying people who live in "freaking GEORGIA" can not be racist? Please clarify.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #12)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:47 PM

15. The point is...

I'm saying that if you're indeed racist, you probably wouldn't want to surround yourself with African-Americans, which there are a lot of in Atlanta. But the main point of that post was to point out Feasting, which like I said, showed that he does not abhor Black people in the slightest.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #15)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:50 PM

17. Do you agree those comments were racist and homophobic? Here, I will copy/paste them for you...

“So, okay – this book’s from the South, where I’m from, and it’s got a few things in it that might be kind of foreign and exotic to you Iowans.” He turned the page. “Look! A real live Negro!”

“Man,” said Alton to the girl, “If that guy next to you is your other daddy, I’m in the wrong state.”

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #17)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:00 PM

21. Not Necessarily

Like I posted above, "Negro" is an acceptable term in Georgia. The fact that he said it in Iowa was in bad taste. Hell, probably the fact that he said it anywhere but Atlanta would be in bad taste. But no, I don't think that comment was meant to be racist.
Now the other remark... I suppose it depends on how you take it. I'm not really sure what he meant by that - if he's saying that he doesn't want to be there because Gay Marriage is legal, or what. So right now I'll just say: it doesn't offend me. I am perfectly okay with people who are gay and I voted for legalizing marriage here in WA. And I'm not offended. But maybe I'm reading it differently than everyone else is.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #21)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:06 PM

22. If gay marriage is legal, he is in the wrong state. That is what he is saying.

And “Look! A real live Negro!” isn't racist. Incredible.

Yes, I think you are reading those differently than everyone else is. How can “Look! A real live Negro!” not be racist, even in Georgia? Oh, let's point out that person's race=racist.

And saying he is in the wrong state if gay marriage is legal is not homophobic? You are wrong. It is.

This may or may not mean HE is racist or homophobic but these statements certainly are.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #22)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:23 PM

27. i SAID

it wasn't MEANT to be racist. As in, I don't think he was purposely trying to openly offend anyone by his comments. But your opinion is yours, and mine is mine.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #27)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:34 PM

29. Pointing out someone by race isn't...racist? Yes, you have your opinion indeed. And crush or not,

you think his saying he is in the wrong state if gay marriage is legal is not homophobic? You are wrong. It is.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #29)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:43 PM

31. Notice...

In my original rant and all subsequent posts I did not once say that Alton was or was not homophobic. Because honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was. I just said that I wasn't offended by what he said. I was defending against the original poster saying he was racist only because he made a poor judgement call about the joke he made and episodes of Feasting on Asphalt contradict his accusations.
If I point out that a person I work with is Mexican or Hispanic etc, that doesn't make me racist. I have no problems with any race. This whole thing might be taken out of context because it all depends on how the writer wrote their piece.
There, can we be done with this now, please?

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #31)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:48 PM

33. eh...

I am still stuck on "Believe it or not, in Atlanta, the word "Negro" is not offensive to most."

I think that is quite an assumption.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #31)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:54 PM

35. If you point and say "look! a real live Mexican!" then that is a racist comment. Yes.

“So, okay – this book’s from the South, where I’m from, and it’s got a few things in it that might be kind of foreign and exotic to you Iowans.” He turned the page. “Look! A real live Negro!” That is a racist comment.

“Man,” said Alton to the girl, “If that guy next to you is your other daddy, I’m in the wrong state.” That is a homophobic comment.

My point is these are racist and homophobic statements. You said they aren't. I say they are. Notice...I never said he was racist or homophobic but that these statements are.

This is a discussion forum where we discuss things. This is what happens when you discuss things. Other people may not want to simply hear what you say but give feedback, ask for clarification, etc. You started with "How dare you spout that from one random post". You got some replies which I see are challenging you. " suddenly ya'lls souls are crushed because your idol wasn't who you thought he was. " I have never heard of him before this but I can certainly spot a racist statement and a homophobic statement.

"he made a poor judgement call about the joke he made". Yes, racist and homophobic "jokes" aren't funny except between friends in a small variety of situations. And not being able to admit that they are racist and homophobic also isn't funny.

Welcome to DU.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #35)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:14 AM

38. I know what a discussion forum is

But all we're doing is going back and forth between he is and he isn't. So, I'm done, that's all.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #38)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:19 AM

39. You say "he" and I have said and continue to say "the statements". That is all. Can you

re read and maybe see that? Maybe? I have not said "he is" but "the statements are". You say "he is", I say "the statements are". See?

Since you completely miss my point, no wonder you want to be done.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #39)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:03 PM

46. As much as I didn't want to say anything...

I wonder how it is that one can make a homophobic or racist comment without being one, unless you're directly quoting something. Because you keep pointing out that 1. those comments are homophobic/racist and 2. the STATEMENTS are, that doesn't mean HE is. So, please do explain. Because I'm still at number 1: I don't believe that was a racist statement. Someone posted below about Brooksville, FL and the use of the word "negro". That's what I was talking about.
Now, was the other a homophobic statement? Sure, I might concede that point even though I never originally defended that statement in the first place. Because like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if he was homophobic.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #46)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:40 PM

48. But YOU said Atlanta to make a point and you are wrong.

When were you here last?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:12 PM

23. As soon as you get to Atlanta, let me know...

I'd be happy to show you around and let you find out how wrong you are.

It's 2013 by the way.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:20 PM

24. You might be a racist if...

I figured you' be familiar with that premise considering you probably used to watch the Foxworthy show?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:41 PM

30. I live in Georgia. "Hey, look! A real live Negro!" would get you funny looks at best

almost anywhere in this state these days.

Then again, Alton Brown lives in Marietta in Cobb County, which is one of the most Republican areas in the metropolitan Atlanta area. So maybe he forgot he was not among friends.

Reply to this post

Response to klook (Reply #30)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:47 PM

32. Well saying THAT, yes lol

But I'm just talking about the word "Negro" in general; in casual conversation. And it's probably better left with Blacks saying it to each other. But, like I said, I believe he was just raised that way. Who knows. He's never been one to hold back on what he thinks and feels... until it comes to politics

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #32)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:49 PM

34. Have you ever been here?

No, we do not fucking say "Negro" in casual conversation. Jesus.

Reply to this post

Response to klook (Reply #34)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:02 AM

36. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:05 AM

37. Thanks..

Hi klook,
This whole discussion has taken a bizarro world turn.

Peace

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:21 AM

40. oh good you made it go away thank you

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 09:35 AM

45. I spent a lot of time in Brooksville, FL

my folks retired there. As they aged, I spent more and more time there, made some friends, etc., and the most polite words used for African American was negro, or colored. and that was a person trying to be respectful and sensitive. Usually, it was the other n-word, and all three of those words were slung around like bales of hay in normal conversations. My sister and I would have a contest every time we'd arrive in town, a contest to see how soon after getting seated at the Country Kitchen the n word would be used in conversation around us, or by my dad. It was never more that five minutes....usually something around 3. At least in that town, those words ARE used in casual conversation. A lot.

Reply to this post

Response to klook (Reply #30)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 08:53 AM

44. No, my area of Woodstock in Cherokee County

is one of the most Republican areas in metro Atlanta. No Democratic politicians in the county. That's why I don't vote in local elections.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 01:37 PM

61. no , Negro is not an acceptable term in GA or another state

except to racists and their enablers.

Reply to this post

Response to katjaneway (Reply #15)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 04:11 AM

55. Are you kidding? Slave owners surrounded themselves with African-Americans.

Were slave owners not racists?

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:22 AM

56. Wow.

If he's not racist or homophobic, then, he has got to be one of the most insensitive/socially tone deaf people around.

Good try at trying to defend the indefensible. Nice hole you dug for yourself, too.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 09:44 AM

59. YOU wake up.

The word "Negro" is not used in casual conversation in Atlanta or anywhere else in "freaking GEORGIA" as you put it.

Does racism exist here? Sure it does. Just like it does everywhere else.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:57 PM

19. Wow.

I had no idea.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:26 PM

28. Fundies on the Food Network -

Hmmm.

Though I worry more about the Neely's, Paula Deen, that whacky Rachel Ray, and a couple of others because their food and the dynamic is so weird.

I find that I watch the Food Network less and less. Guy Fieri is annoying, the Restaurant Impossible guy is a freak, and that woman with the blonde hair and the bolted on boobs can't cook.

I'm loving David Chang on Mind of a Chef though.

Reply to this post

Response to GoneOffShore (Reply #28)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:01 PM

49. I don't think they're all wingers

Paula Deen has had Michelle Obama and Jimmy & Roslyn Carter on her show and seems to adore them.

Batali is close with FLOTUS on the "Get Moving" and Child nutrition initiatives and Sam Kass, the WH chef, has been a guest judge on Chopped.

Reply to this post

Response to Myrina (Reply #49)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:38 PM

51. Yes, I know about Deen - thanks for the reminder.

And I haven't seen Batali on the Food Network forever.

I'm watching it less and less because it's not really helping me expand my culinary skills.

Reply to this post

Response to GoneOffShore (Reply #51)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 03:42 PM

53. Oh, agreed

... all the silly "Restaurant Stakeout" type shows are useless in my opinion. As is Sweet Genius, Sugar Dome, Celebrtity Worst Cook and even Next Iron Chef has gotten trite.

And I could go the rest of my life without seeing Guy Fieri stuffing food in his face on that horrible show of his.

Reply to this post

Response to Myrina (Reply #53)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 04:45 PM

54. Mrs GoS loves to watch Fieri - I can "tolerate" him but not for too long.

I often go back to watching Jacques Pepin and Julia Child.

And I garanteee I miss Justin Wilson.

But not the Frugal Gourmet.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:57 AM

42. I follow AB on twitter

He can be cranky and tweets with post-its. Now that is original and pretty funny at times.

However, I absolutely believe he is a weirdo Fundie but he tries to keep that to himself. Oh ya... I can spot them a mile away

I noticed during the election, people would ask him to comment and he pretty much took the stance, if you can't say something nice...

I am quite sure, in the foodie world, he's an outlier. Most of the Foodies promote progressive ideas and lavished their love on Obama during the campaign

I'll take Mario Batalli over AB, any day

Reply to this post

Response to amuse bouche (Reply #42)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:13 PM

50. I'd pay cash money

to have one dinner with Mario Batali and Anthony Bourdain. I bet they would be funner'n hell.

Reply to this post

Response to OriginalGeek (Reply #50)

Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:40 PM

52. I've met Bourdain a couple of times.

He's a stitch.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 AM

57. I'm not even sure who Alton Brown is but I'm not buying this.

First of all, I doubt any serious chef would associate with someone that ate hush puppies.

Second, that' s not even close to all you need for hush puppies.

They are already a lump of deep fried muck....but really?

No egg? No onion? No rest period?

I've not a dog in the hunt as I could not pick the man out of a lineup.

But I say this blog is bullshit.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 AM

58. Never liked him for some vague reason

His tone seemed too much like a few conservatives I know. But now I've some concrete reasons.

And isn't it strange that katjaneway's only 11 posts are in this thread. hmmm.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 09:56 AM

60. Never heard of him. But would anyone make the cooks make something not on the menu?

Last edited Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:21 PM - Edit history (2)

That seems outrageous to me. I'd ask a customer like that to leave.

Is that person SO important and used to getting what he wants all the time that he can't order something off the menu? Seriously? It's just food, dude. If you don't like what's on the menu, you're in the wrong place. There's no need to pressure the underpaid cooks in the back to make you something special.

As for the comments...I wouldn't have made them. And I wouldn't have appreciated them or laughed at them. But I don't think they indicate a serious racist anti-gay attitude as the OP suggests. The "negro" comment was more a comment on the Iowa area than on race, which was tacky...to slap his audience in the face for not being diverse. The gay crack was more along the lines, IMO, of someone who is not familiar with the state he's in (that it has gay marriage rights), and someone who comes from an area where gay rights hasn't gotten to yet. Is he from the south? They are often a few years behind the rest of the country. I grew up in the south; we noticed that fashion trends, for example, usually made their way to our area a few years later than the north (like mini-skirts).

I'm not into cooks or chefs, so I don't know this guy. And don't want to know him. Cooks and chefs are all about presenting food that tastes and looks good, but isn't necessarily good for you. So I have no use for them. Much like...if you want healthy hair, don't go to hairdressers very often. Hairdressers are all about cutting and styling hair...they're not trained in making your hair healthy. That involves staying away from heat and products...two things that hairdressers very much rely on.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #60)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 01:52 PM

62. I agree with your take on his comments

He does live near Atlanta and I assume he grew up in the south. He has had a show (Good Eats) on the Food Network for about 12 years (plus he appears on several other FoodTV shows) where he picks a food subject and then explains the science and history of it. Which, if the fundie christian part is true, kinda makes me laugh. It is really an interesting show and my daughter and I have enjoyed it since its' beginning. But we never knew about all this other stuff and I don't guess the other stuff really mattered since I never saw any evidence of it in his show.

It definitely bothers me though, if he is a member of a church that thinks there is something wrong with being gay and tries to "fix" it with prayer. It will color my opinion of him in the future even on unrelated matters of food. My mom was also a fundie christian who definitely believed being gay was a sin and I doubt she even accepted prayer as a fixer for that. But she was my mom - I kinda had to love her - or most of her. AB ain't no relation so if that's how he feels, well I am free to feel differently and not think so kindly of him as I did in the past.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:32 AM

64. I'd only ever heard the guy's name before and knew he was involved with food.

From reading this, I also guess he has a tv show. I stopped reading when the guy wrote that he knew Brown was a Republican. I just assume that anyone who identifies as a Republican is racist and/or sexist, and almost certainly homophobic. Sure, there are the odd few who are wealthy and greedy, and a few who are just stupid, but the vast majority are racist, sexist, and homophobic. So, where's the surprise for this writer?

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:28 AM

65. The personality it takes to scratch to the top of the heap can make someone an egomaniac

I didn't read the full article, but did get to the business with (a) hating the USDA but (b) disparaging the quality of food allowed in canned chili. It's the core disconnect between most Republicans and reality. Reminds me of Craig Nelson's famous interview: "I was living on food stamps; did anyone help me?"

Sadly, most people who are driven to succeed--the thing that America is so great for rewarding--are so caught up in ego gratification that they lose their social conscience. Egomania is both rewarded & reinforced by success and a bulwark against self reflection when success doesn't arrive. And when one is truly at the top of the game, it becomes ever less likely that you'll have someone in the entourage who can pass along the reality checks.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:14 AM

66. He was the host of a new chef reality game show and kind of mentored them.

He came off as an unlikeable jerk the way he'd berate the young chefs.
He'd become impatient with them and get very rude.
He'd lose all the joking demeanor and become a real sourpuss.
I was surprised he would let down his persona on camera that way.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread