HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » How many High Schools ado...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 03:34 PM

How many High Schools adopted Born to Run as their class song in the 70's...

I was on Student Government and pushed real hard for Born to Run. Here in Cleveland, every Friday night deep into the 80's, WMMS, the seminal Progressive Rock station in Ohio, kicked the weekend off with Born to Run at 6:00 on Friday Night.

Anyone who had a dream and wanted to bust out of the one horse towns and grab on, for better or worse, to that "runaway American Dream" captured the moment of anyone who cared to listen and dared to act....

Well, I made my plea and guess what, Loggins and Mesina maudlin we shall pass this way again got the nod.

I guess, for some High Schoolers, this is the culmination, the beginning of the end. But I knew so many others just wanted to get on with life before it all caved in on us.

It's ironic that I live in the town I went to high school that I was so desperate to escape from.

But I did get out there to experience what was waiting just around the corner and it is so curious that I came back 20 years ago to live in Westlake, Ohio. And I like it...

3 replies, 348 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply How many High Schools adopted Born to Run as their class song in the 70's... (Original post)
WCGreen Dec 2012 OP
In_The_Wind Dec 2012 #1
Archae Dec 2012 #2
CaliforniaPeggy Dec 2012 #3

Response to WCGreen (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:56 PM

1. I wish mine had.

Alas, I was too early to the party for Born to Run. I graduated in 66.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:34 PM

2. Not mine.

But my graduating class (1978) sang the second verse from Styx's "Come Sail Away."

To this day I really, really, hate that song.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:19 PM

3. It is the ultimate irony that you came back to the place you were so desperate to escape...

Your American Dream.........

.........brought you home.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread