HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Geeze. My use of a VERY c...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:36 PM

Geeze. My use of a VERY common synonym for the female naught bits has almost 300 posts in Meta.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Autumn (a host of the The DU Lounge forum).

Curiously, I find that rather funny. I can't respond in that thread because something or another in that thread (no clue what) was hidden. But seriously, what the hell is up with people? I didn't even use the nasty words. And I avoided the mild one here to avoid getting this thread locked. People need to lighten up a bit.

And thank you to everyone who backed me up. That means a lot to me. Seriously, thank you.

17 replies, 1181 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Geeze. My use of a VERY common synonym for the female naught bits has almost 300 posts in Meta. (Original post)
HopeHoops Nov 2012 OP
XemaSab Nov 2012 #1
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #4
antiquie Nov 2012 #2
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #7
antiquie Nov 2012 #10
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #13
hay rick Nov 2012 #3
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #8
hrmjustin Nov 2012 #5
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #9
Tuesday Afternoon Nov 2012 #6
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #11
Tuesday Afternoon Nov 2012 #12
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #14
Tobin S. Nov 2012 #15
Lady Freedom Returns Nov 2012 #16
noamnety Nov 2012 #17

Response to HopeHoops (Original post)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:47 PM

1. 'Cause sexism is SO FUNNY!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to XemaSab (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:49 PM

4. Oh good grief. Using slang isn't "sexism" - I've got a dong, cock, schlong, unit, whatever.

It's just slang. Face it, "Penis" and "Vagina" aren't exactly fun terms. I just can't believe that one post could generate a 300 post response! Don't people have anything better to do?

Response to antiquie (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:02 PM

7. Hell, we all use the term in the house, as did her mother. But I like the band name. AND...

... my wife's long-time comment to me is "You're rude, crude, and socially unacceptable." She loves me anyway and will be the first to tell you I treat her well. When she needs a back rub, she gets one. When she takes a bath I loofah her back. When she needs a hug she knows where to come. On top of that, I can cook in a gourmet capacity and she never complains about the results. I often don't make anything for myself - just her. I've got three self-confident daughters who are all 2nd degree black belts (my wife's 3rd) and they're all honors students. It might be because we supported them, but I suspect they would be anyway.

Using crude language (and "pussy" isn't even crude) doesn't make you a misogynist. Those who accuse me of that obviously don't read my other posts or they would know better. And it hurts my feelings to be called that. I'm not.

I'd post this in the Meta thread but got locked out of it. And yes, my wife is a DU member. She can see everything I post. Besides, ponies are a lot of work. With my back as it is I couldn't even ride one now. They're still cute and I always did want one. Well, to be fair, I wanted a full-size white horse, but a pony would have done. My back says "no".

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #7)

Response to antiquie (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:08 PM

13. Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where was the humor in that?

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:49 PM

3. HopeHoops caught smoking in the boys room again.

At least they didn't catch you shaving.

Response to hay rick (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:03 PM

8. Curiously, that's one place I never smoked.

I LOVE the song though.

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:53 PM

5. Yes i know. I was on a jury that kept one of the post you made in meta.

I voted to keep your post.

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:03 PM

9. Thank you.

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:55 PM

6. common.

good word.

Synonyms
4. universal, prevalent, popular. See general. 5. customary, everyday. 7, 8, 9. Common, vulgar, ordinary refer, often with derogatory connotations of cheapness or inferiority, to what is usual or most often experienced. Common applies to what is accustomed, usually experienced, or inferior, to the opposite of what is exclusive or aristocratic: The park is used by the common people. Vulgar properly means belonging to the people, or characteristic of common people; it connotes low taste, coarseness, or ill breeding: the vulgar view of things; vulgar in manners and speech. Ordinary refers to what is to be expected in the usual order of things; it means average or below average: That is a high price for something of such ordinary quality.

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:06 PM

11. Um, I meant common in the sense of "often used". Face it. It is.

There are far MORE common terms for the male appendage. I even think Willy Wonka's use of "wangdoodle" was a reference to said appendage. There are certainly far more vulgar terms for "vagina" and I'm pretty sure I know damn near all of them.

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #11)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:07 PM

12. no doubt you do and, how common of you to point it out.

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #12)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:09 PM

14. LOL! Good use of "how common". Good one.

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:11 PM

15. The only word that's off limits in the Tobin household

regarding vulgarity is the c-word. I cuss very little and I don't sit around here talking about female genitals all day, but it's okay with Jen if I use the word you're talking about. But I rarely use it and don't use it all in personal communication in the real world.

I don't think the way you use the word is sexist. It's just slang. When you use the word to insinuate weakness is when you get into sexism. DU has a long history of prudishness that started from the top. They've let us loosen up a little, but you'd think that liberal minded people should be able to talk about what they wish.

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:12 PM

16. meta- discussion is a stain on DU.

I have been looking at it a lot closer and it is a mix of big, nasty clicks. It is not a good forum at all.

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:14 PM

17. At this point you've been told multiple times

about specific behaviors that are offending people here. I know I explained why they are offensive several times, and didn't get a response. Maybe you were unable to respond in those threads. Many women, including some here, have been the target of those specific words used specifically AS hate speech, sometimes during threats or during violent attacks. We've asked that you stop using them because they can be triggers for ptsd, and because we have women here who are survivors of that stuff.

I don't know if you don't understand that it can be an issue for women, or you just don't care.

It should be enough that people here are telling you this - you shouldn't have to personally experience it to believe us.

It's a general sign of respect to try to avoid triggers in a public setting, just like I don't invite a bunch of combat vets over for the fourth of july and with no warning start setting off fireworks. Fireworks don't bother me, my family loves them. It doesn't matter - within a setting where it's likely to be a problem for some - or even ONE - person, it would be a shithead move for me to do it anyway.

I genuinely hope that explanation makes sense to you.