HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Indoor Dog Park, or one g...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:22 PM

Indoor Dog Park, or one great meal per week, or full-service mini-farm ?

I am bored with the business I have now and thinking of starting another one, partly for the challenge and partly because I like 3 businesses out of all the ones I have considered. If you are so inclined, please tell me which of the following, if any, sounds most like a business you could see yourself using if it opened near you:

1. Indoor dog park -- 3000 square feet of temperature controlled indoor dog park, scheduled meet-ups by size, breed or temperament, open 24/7, you can schedule private sessions. Agility gear available. Trainer and groomer available by appt. About $50/month base charge, upcharge for training, grooming or reserved private sessions.

2. One great meal per week -- Each week a freshly cooked, gourmet meal complete with complimentary side dishes and suggested wines or beverages. Professionally planned and executed by pro chefs using as many local, seasonal and fresh ingredients as possible. Themed, seasonal and exotic meals keep it interesting -- an Octoberfest meal for late September, Russian food in January, Spring lamb, Thai, Vietnamese, Belgian, California, Irish. You get an email on Monday announcing the week's fare and you have until Wednesday to order. About $10 to $25 per serving, plus $5 for delivery within routes.

3. About 4 acres of farm land with a central parking lot with-in 3 miles of town. You rent whatever size sub-plot you want by the square foot and either you plant and tend your own organic garden or we can do it for you. Vegetables, flowers, fruits. Internet enabled so you can see your plot any time. On site instruction in bio-dynamic farming and other subjects. Seeds and seedlings for sale. Shared tools available for member use. If it goes well we will add a greenhouse and go 4 season. Price is about $25 per 100 SF per month for you-tend and that includes parking, tools, water, soil and orientation. $125 per 100 SF per month for we-tend / you-pick.

13 replies, 967 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Indoor Dog Park, or one great meal per week, or full-service mini-farm ? (Original post)
KurtNYC Nov 2012 OP
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #1
KatyaR Nov 2012 #2
Tobin S. Nov 2012 #3
KurtNYC Nov 2012 #13
MiniMe Nov 2012 #4
lunatica Nov 2012 #5
KurtNYC Nov 2012 #7
nolabear Nov 2012 #6
KurtNYC Nov 2012 #8
felix_numinous Nov 2012 #9
LWolf Nov 2012 #10
TeamPooka Nov 2012 #11
NV Whino Nov 2012 #12

Response to KurtNYC (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:31 PM

1. Go with door number 1.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:05 PM

2. Love all of them. Wish we had something like #3 around here.

I live in an apartment and would love an garden allotment....

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:21 PM

3. If you are in a large city I would think that the mini-farm would be the best idea

and that's the one I'd be most likely to use. If you live in a large city where the population is condensed and there is little to no green space available for people to plant vegetable and flower gardens, I could see how a lot of people would go for something like that.

Reply to this post

Response to Tobin S. (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:38 PM

13. They have some in Germany which are right next to rail lines

Each one has a little shed and chairs so it is very patchwork but I am envisioning something more unified and more focused on grow your own.

Definitely aimed at apartment dwellers and maybe some weekender/NYC escapees.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:22 PM

4. I'd go with #1

My dog would love it.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:27 PM

5. I like the dog park

But I would expand it to board dogs when their owners go out of town. Then the dogs can get their regular exercise during the day.

Would you have a vet on retainer if it got popular enough?

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:10 PM

7. My trainer is my consultant for the dog park

He has about 40 years experience and designed and built his own boarding facility which uses a washable padded material to avoid hip and joint problems. He has a vet on retainer so I would consult with him about how that could work for a dog park.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:08 PM

6. #1, but go Deluxe. I've made a study of this.

Include a self-service Dog Wash. They're pretty popular and not hard to incorporate.

Schedule events like Singles Groups. People looking for love have the perfect icebreaker in their pets.

Have a little coffee bar and human/animal snacks. You can have a muffin while Spot has a biscuit.

Community outreach. Get to know local trainers, breed enthusiasts, etc. and become a part of events, like parades and festivals.

Webcam.

So, yeah, I'd go with the dog park. I like gardens but people often have better intentions than follow-throughs. With the right advertizing the dogs and guilt will do the rest!

Reply to this post

Response to nolabear (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:18 PM

8. Thanks. I studied a 50,000 square foot facility in Dallas called "Unleashed"

They had a cafe/bar/grooming/day care/ etc. They got phenomenal Yelp reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/unleashed-indoor-dog-parks-dallas

but it looks like they failed to get a second round of financing. They have not given up yet but are no operating now. Here is what it was like:

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:22 PM

9. I like #3

An investment in the future.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 PM

Although, not being a city dweller, I'm not the best to ask about a city business.

The dog park might be great for city people with dogs; mine wouldn't tolerate a dog park, being a working dog. She'd be frantically trying to herd all the people and dogs.

#2? It would be good for special occasions, but I wouldn't use it regularly.

#3...if I lived in the city, I'd be there in a heartbeat, and my plot would be abundant.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:00 PM

11. asked my dog and woof = dog park

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:10 PM

12. Stay away from food

The regulations will drive you crazy.

Garden plots are seasonal. You will have dead periods with no income.

I'd go with dog park. Sounds like you've done some good research and there are numerous avenues of income from it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread