HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:15 AM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (seaglass) on Sun Mar 10, 2013, 05:46 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

11 replies, 715 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
seaglass Oct 2012 OP
HipChick Oct 2012 #1
seaglass Oct 2012 #3
OriginalGeek Oct 2012 #2
seaglass Oct 2012 #5
OriginalGeek Oct 2012 #9
seaglass Oct 2012 #10
HappyMe Oct 2012 #4
seaglass Oct 2012 #7
HopeHoops Oct 2012 #6
ohiosmith Oct 2012 #8
Major Nikon Oct 2012 #11

Response to seaglass (Original post)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:18 AM

1. It doesn't hurt to look...

I started looking as soon as my work environment turned hostile..How will he be objective and fair?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HipChick (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:24 AM

2. Well, for me, I would only stay at a miserable job

for as long as i didn't have another job.

I guess I'm not understanding how this situation is miserable though. If you're working from home how much interaction with these people do you have? Or is it that your manager hands out the assignments and you expect he will give her the better ones while you get stuck with the crap?

I THINK I would tend to put up with more crap if I could work from home than if I had to come into an office and deal with crap every day - but I've never had the opportunity to do so I can't say for sure. But the bottom line is there is only so much crap any person can or should have to deal with so if you are miserable and expect it to get worse then yeah, looking for new work would be in order.

Response to OriginalGeek (Reply #2)

Response to seaglass (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 04:25 PM

9. Yep

while you are looking elsewhere you'll be able to see if they will make the situation worse...but in all honestly, don't take an extra ration of crap from them.

I hope I didn't give the impression I was minimizing your feelings about the current situation - I simply didn't understand and was looking for clarification. I think you are very right to be concerned and I sincerely hope you find something new that gets you out of that mess as soon as possible.

If by some miracle the manager actually does right that just makes it a little more comfortable for you while find new work - but it sounds like you aren't in love with the place now so still keep looking.

Here's to happy thoughts and future better jobs!

Response to OriginalGeek (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 AM

4. If it's miserable, start looking.

I would give the SO/manager situation time. He may actually be harder on her than you think.

Response to HappyMe (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 12:20 PM

6. Probably. Sorry to say so, but I've been in companies like that and it's never a good scene.

In one of them, the president of the company's "main squeeze" was the head of sales, but she never did a damn thing (other than on the leather couch in his office with the door closed - like we couldn't all hear them). He was an egotistical asshole from hell and was eventually ousted by the board. I'd start looking if I were you. Five of us (the most important five by the way) all left within a two week period. Curiously, three of us ended up working together at another company.

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 02:14 PM

8. You should always be looking for a new job.

Response to ohiosmith (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 05:51 PM

11. You should at least be prepared to look for a new job, if not already looking for one

I've worked for the same company for the last 27 years, but I still keep a folder full of info I'd use to put a resume together if needed. Every time someone makes a comment about me losing my job, my canned response is, "I was looking for a job when I found this one".

It's very liberating to know you are prepared to go look for work somewhere else.