HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Didn't kill myself, but h...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Oct 16, 2012, 02:09 AM

Didn't kill myself, but had a serious wipeout on my bike Saturday

First one since I got back on a bike in 2008. Last time something like this happened, I was a teenager. My brother and I hit wet leaves and both of us on bikes wiped out. Splat! Splat! Flat on the pavement.

There's a lot of difference between 16 and 45.

I was approaching a roundabout Saturday, and it was clear in all directions. A car came out of the tunnel on the left side, but I ride this every day and the distances were fine. I'd be in the roundabout and around. Then everything went slow motion for a moment as I realized the driver was coming really fast into the roundabout and towards me. I dove on the brakes, wasn't stopping, so I cranked down and they locked up. I started skidding, the bike turned a little to the right, then the bike and I dropped flat on the ground sliding.

I remember my left hand going palm down, and the voice of a guy from the bike club ran in my head saying, "Don't do that." Not sure exactly how, but I must have rolled on my left hand, arm, and shoulder.

It's a really wonderful thing to hear your body sliding across the pavement. Probably only went a few feet, but just a scraping, ripping, shredding sound.

Couple of small road rash scrapes and bruises on my wrist, elbow, and shoulder. Bashed my knees pretty good. Left one on the ground and the right one I think against the bike. Nothing broken, no sutures, very little blood. Didn't see scrapes or dings in my helmet to indicate I hit my head.

Driver stopped and asked if I was OK. Gritted my teeth and told her I was fine.

Bike was fine. Minor scrape and the lights got tilted. Didn't see any blood pouring into my socks, everything moved, so I adjusted the lights and kept going.

Had a plan to ride the bike trails out to Yelm and back. Probably 40 or more miles. Hadn't ridden this part of these trails before, and I got a little lost and wandered around a bit until I found the interchange between the trails. Saw a number of walkers, people with dogs, one with a kid in a stroller, and several other cyclists along the trail.

It had been raining, but it really started to pick up. The nylon camp pants I was wearing were not working. The cold rain was slicing through me. The fall and the rain felt like warning signs. Didn't want to wait for the third thing, so I cut my ride very short and probably only did 12-15 miles.

Probably need to invest in spandex or something for fall/winter riding.

4 replies, 571 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Didn't kill myself, but had a serious wipeout on my bike Saturday (Original post)
Kennah Oct 2012 OP
Denninmi Oct 2012 #1
HopeHoops Oct 2012 #2
ellisonz Oct 2012 #3
libodem Oct 2012 #4

Response to Kennah (Original post)

Tue Oct 16, 2012, 06:05 AM

1. Ouch, that sucks.

I haven't had a wipeout yet this go around, but I have skidded a couple of times on wet leaves. I know I'm going to wipeout eventually, it happens.

Glad you're ok!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:29 AM

2. My worst ever was on a 27" 3-speed (too big for me at the time - it was my dad's).

I was on one of the bike trails near dark and cut into the grass to give right of way to two people who were walking. I forgot about the lamp post with the burned out bulb. Head on collision at a good speed (and before I knew about bike helmets). I racked myself on the handlebars pretty good and my head had a goose egg on it for weeks, but I lived and apparently the jewels were okay since I had three daughters later in life. I just remember waking up with people staring down at me. There have been other wipeouts, but nothing that compared to that one.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 16, 2012, 04:36 PM

3. Glad you're okay.

I love bike riding, but I can't do the roads. Just too dangerous for me...

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 16, 2012, 06:26 PM

4. Road rash sux

Keep it clean, covered, and debrided. Heals from the out most portions toward the center. Might be a while before it is skin again. Heal fast with no infection!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread