HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I just went out to feed t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 07:53 PM

I just went out to feed the mosquitoes while my wife watered the garden.

We're going to run out of hydrocortizone cream soon.

32 replies, 1827 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply I just went out to feed the mosquitoes while my wife watered the garden. (Original post)
HopeHoops Sep 2012 OP
TwilightGardener Sep 2012 #1
marzipanni Sep 2012 #3
TwilightGardener Sep 2012 #4
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #5
beac Sep 2012 #11
marzipanni Sep 2012 #2
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #6
Patiod Sep 2012 #27
marzipanni Sep 2012 #30
NCarolinawoman Sep 2012 #7
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #9
NCarolinawoman Sep 2012 #13
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #15
darkangel218 Sep 2012 #8
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #10
dixiegrrrrl Sep 2012 #12
Mopar151 Sep 2012 #26
csziggy Sep 2012 #14
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #16
Baitball Blogger Sep 2012 #18
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #20
Baitball Blogger Sep 2012 #22
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #25
csziggy Sep 2012 #29
dixiegrrrrl Sep 2012 #28
Baitball Blogger Sep 2012 #17
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #19
Baitball Blogger Sep 2012 #23
pipi_k Sep 2012 #21
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #24
ChromeFoundry Sep 2012 #31
HopeHoops Sep 2012 #32

Response to HopeHoops (Original post)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 07:58 PM

1. I am seriously pondering if it would be worse to poison myself further with DEET

or just take a chance on West Nile. I sucked some repellent spray into my lungs by accident, broke out in a horrific rash all over chest and back--be careful with that shit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marzipanni (Reply #3)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:12 PM

4. What's "punk"? Otherwise, I might try their suggestion of

agastache cana, because I grow several large plants of it. Or citronella--I've used the candles before.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:29 PM

5. Nah. Pennyroyal is more effective. My wife makes an infusion of it with olive oil. Works great.

I just wasn't wearing any.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:46 PM

11. Mosquito Barrier

I have pimped this stuff so many times in the Gardening forum that the company should be paying me some kind of super fan honorarium, but I swear it WORKS!!

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

A bottle lasts me over a year and I use it A LOT (prevents pests from chewing on my veggie garden too.)

If you have a natural foods or organic gardening store in your area they may carry it or, of course, you can buy it online.

The garlic smell lasts for about an hour after spraying, FYI, but then it goes away for you but the bloodsuckers smell it for days and STAY AWAY (reapply weekly or after rainstorms.)

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:00 PM

2. Eeeeeeeeeeeee!

http://www.westnile.state.pa.us/zones.htm

West Nile high risk zone!

Reply to this post

Response to marzipanni (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:30 PM

6. Yeah, they're spraying everywhere. I think I contracted it (vomiting), but I didn't get tested.

Reply to this post

Response to marzipanni (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 12:48 PM

27. My friend has a testing station in her back yard

The state came by and asked if they could put it up by her creek. yay.

People love having me at any outdoor event because once I walk in, no one else get bitten.

Plus, in addition to West Nile worries, I swell up like crazy - got a bite near my eye, and it looked like someone had punched me. A friend said "the bugs aren't biting, why do you want to go in?" and I showed her my leg, which was covered with giant welts.

Reply to this post

Response to Patiod (Reply #27)

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 12:47 AM

30. Eat garlic and take Vitamin B complex.

Don't eat bananas. That's what I've heard over the years.
Here, between San Francisco and the Sierra foothills, the summers are so dry that after spring rain dries up there are very few mosquitoes. We leave the back door open in the evening with no screen door. I suppose if we lived near a creek or pond that would not be possible.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:32 PM

7. Standard "muscle rub" keeps them away.

That cream you can buy over-the-counter. Most of these, with the exception of aspercreme, have camphor and menthol in them. Mosquitoes hate this stuff and so do yellow jackets.

I have two different inexpensive brands, and they are both effective.

If a mosquito is buzzing around your head in the bedroom, you don't need to put the muscle cream in your hair, thank goodness.----just put some on the back of your neck. Pretend you have arthritis back there.

Keep this stuff away from you face. Wash your hands well, cause you don't want to forget and rub your eyes with it. Also, don't apply after you go out and get hot and sweaty, cause your pores are open and it might burn a little.

Reply to this post

Response to NCarolinawoman (Reply #7)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:39 PM

9. Yeah, but that shit smells like death.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #9)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 10:14 PM

13. Nah, more like very strong peppermint or cough drops. At least to me.

It's interesting...I have two cats who have very different reactions when I put it on:

One backs away and gives me a dirty look, as if to say, "What have you done?!! The other kitty loves it and wants to lick it off. (something not allowed, of course.) When I recently brought home a new tube, before I even opened the box, he discovered it and looked at me as if to say, "I know what you have in here...that good smelling stuff."

Reply to this post

Response to NCarolinawoman (Reply #13)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 08:57 AM

15. Weird. All of our critters close their eyes and run from it like I peppersprayed them.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:36 PM

8. What really works for me is the OFF clip on

Works great, and no chemicals sprayed on the skin.

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #8)

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 08:39 PM

10. Still, it's gross shit. Citronella is better, and pennyroyal beats all of them.

On Edit: Pennyroyal is also HIGHLY invasive, which means you can just grab a handful willy-nilly and rub it all over you without damaging the colony. It will grow back - trust me.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 13, 2012, 09:08 PM

12. If Avon skin so soft does not repel them, I know what will help with the bite itches

Since the city decidied to not spray this year, we have been at the mercy of zillions of them.

Mentholated Vicks ( or the off brand equivelant) dabbed on skeeter bites really stops the itching and swelling.
May have to apply it more than once for a day but it does work.
Also great for fire ant bites and cold sores.
You may smell like a hospital ward, but you will be more comfortable..

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #12)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:14 AM

26. My racin' crew conducted tests at Burke Mountain

at the Black Fly SummerNationals. Sin-so-soft repels bugs some, but mostly it makes you too slippery to bite! Lots of DEET does work, and I wish we had known about the pennyroyal to try.
And yes, the bugs are BRUTAL there - this summer, it took applications of 30% DEET every 20 min. or so, where I was keeping tabs on errant mountain bikers at the junction of Moose Alley and the Auto Road.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 01:29 AM

14. Check on the symptoms of West Nile Virus

Because you might need to know!

Symptoms of West Nile Virus

Q. What are the symptoms of West Nile virus (WNV) infection?
A. Infection with WNV can be asymptomtic (no symptoms), or can lead to West Nile fever or severe West Nile disease.

It is estimated that about 20% of people who become infected with WNV will develop West Nile fever. Symptoms include fever, headache, tiredness, and body aches, occasionally with a skin rash (on the trunk of the body) and swollen lymph glands. While the illness can be as short as a few days, even healthy people have reported being sick for several weeks.

The symptoms of severe disease (also called neuroinvasive disease, such as West Nile encephalitis or meningitis or West Nile poliomyelitis) include headache, high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, and paralysis. It is estimated that approximately 1 in 150 persons infected with the West Nile virus will develop a more severe form of disease. Serious illness can occur in people of any age, however people over age 50 and some immunocompromised persons (for example, transplant patients) are at the highest risk for getting severely ill when infected with WNV.

Most people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with West Nile virus will not develop any type of illness (an asymptomatic infection), however you cannot know ahead of time if you'll get sick or not when infected.

More: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/symptoms.htm

Here is a map of where it has been found this year:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/Mapsactivity/surv&control12MapsAnybyState.htm

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #14)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:07 AM

16. Thanks. Harrisburg, PA is smack under one of those dots.

I'm at high risk if I contract it. Unfortunately, the symptoms for the 20% are rather typical for me all the time. I'm not sure I'd notice. The skeeters are also different this year. Usually we have the larger gray ones. These are smaller, black, and have two white stripes on each of their black wings. I've inspected a few after killing them. The itch from their bite also doesn't last as long as the gray ones. I don't know if it's because of the heat or what, but the variety has switched.

On the plus side, since we moved from New Hampshire we haven't had to deal with black flies!!!

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #16)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:11 AM

18. Do you have any sentinel chickens in the area?

We have sentinel chickens that let us know if there is a problem in the area.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #18)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:26 AM

20. Not that I'm aware of. Certainly not in our yard - lot's too small to keep them legally.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #20)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:33 AM

22. Urban chickens!

Don't you know it's a new trend! As small as our yards are in Central Florida, there is a new program where people can apply for a permit for urban chickens. You're allowed to have three. And I think it's for the fresh eggs.

As for the Sentinel Chickens, that the local public authorities would be sponsoring.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #22)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:00 AM

25. Our township bans it unless you have at least two acres. I've got .42.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #16)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 04:52 PM

29. There have been two or three cases locally

And now that I can actually get out and walk, I am concerned about getting something since the mosquitoes love me. I bought OFF for the first time in decades. I hate using the stuff but it does work.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #14)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 12:55 PM

28. cool map....had NO idea how widespread it was.

SO far, our lil area in SW Ala. is not under a dot.
Louisiana does not surprise me, but the Dakotas????

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:10 AM

17. Every two or three days I go out to look for standing water.

The unexpected places where mosquitoes thrive:

Between the leaves of Bromeliads

saucers to potted plants

Bird baths

discarded cups

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #17)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:25 AM

19. We've been working on that too. It's a challenge in our yard - LOTS of potted plants.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #19)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:34 AM

23. Then buy mosquito dunks, silly.

Home Depot or Lowes carries them. Just crumble them up for the smaller area so you don't poison the animals.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:31 AM

21. Best defense against mosquitoes

I've found yet...

Bats!

The first couple of years after we moved here to the middle of the woods we were inundated with mosquitoes. They were even coming into the house. Setting foot outside was dangerous, even in the middle of the day, unless it was raining or very breezy. I was covered in bites.

Then we put in some bat houses.

This summer I only had one mosquito bite which is amazing seeing as I am usually mosquito caviar otherwise.

Their only real requirement (besides a suitable house) is a water source within, say, a half mile. There are two ponds in my yard, so the bats are happy here. I love them...never have to use bug chemicals or anything.

Reply to this post

Response to pipi_k (Reply #21)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:00 AM

24. Funny, but I was just discussing with my wife yesterday putting up a bat condo out back.

She was a bit concerned about the guano; it's almost impossible to remove. I think I can put them up under the 2nd story overhang so anything that drops will hit the shrubs, not the house. I can always tell when the mosquitoes are coming out because out of nowhere a squadron of swallows appears along with a team of dragon flies. I've thought about a swallow condo, but there's one at the public park 1/4 mile from here and they love hunting in our neighborhood.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 11:27 AM

31. Hang a bag of blood in your yard

maybe that target would be more appealing to those foul creatures.

Reply to this post

Response to ChromeFoundry (Reply #31)

Sat Sep 15, 2012, 11:31 AM

32. I'd put that more in the Japanese Beetle trap department - just attracts them to your yard.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread