HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » New job & strange peo...

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 09:38 PM

New job & strange people?

Started a new job recently and have tried my best to be friendly to everyone. I concentrate on my job and my philosophy has been ears open and mouth shut. For some reason there are two women that I am supposed to work with that have not said one word to me. I say good morning and they walk right by like they didn't hear anything I said.

It is just these two women. I am a male (49 y/o) and am not there to do anything other than work. I have never given these women any reason to dislike me. The only thing I can figure is they might have applied for the position I filled and were turned down.

How would you handle it? I don't give a shit personally, I am there to earn a living. These idiots seem to want some sort of drama in the workplace and I am not interested in playing their game.

4 replies, 551 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply New job & strange people? (Original post)
Cronkite Aug 2012 OP
Baitball Blogger Aug 2012 #1
Cronkite Aug 2012 #2
Baitball Blogger Aug 2012 #4
Honeycombe8 Aug 2012 #3

Response to Cronkite (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 09:48 PM

1. Wait until you get a feeling about the office before you make an opinion.

If there is sexist, chauvinistic behavior going on in the office, they may be giving you some room because they have the same thought that you do: they're just there to do nothing more than work. Without knowing more about what you do for a living, just be sure to treat them with professionalism.

On the other hand, especially if they're older than you are, they could very much have been asked to train people for positions that they hoped to get. Yes, that would cause some resentment.

How do you handle it? I suppose you'll figure it out as you learn more about them. If they are going to be difficult you'll know it right away when you make your first big mistake. Until you do figure it out, continue to be professionally polite. Don't try too hard, or they'll think you're coming on to them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:02 PM

2. It's been a month so I don't even try anymore.

I get it. If it interferes with the job I have been hired to do I work directly with the owners of the company. I will politely tell them of the problem and suggest we have a "sit down" to figure out what the issue is. I don't care if they like me or not, I do care about being effective in my job.

Reply to this post

Response to Cronkite (Reply #2)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:04 PM

4. Getting intel passively is a good idea.

Maybe someone in the office can help fill in the blanks. I wouldn't take it personally.

Reply to this post

Response to Cronkite (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:04 PM

3. How rude of them! Still...

one of my favorite expressions when people are rude to me is, "It's not all about me." There could be a lot of reasons they didn't say good morning, and none of them may have anything to do with you.

Some people are not morning people. When people say good morning to me, I reply with hi. That's because I don't like the sentence good morning. I don't like the expression. I also don't like being reminded that it's morning. I'm not in a bad mood in the mornings, but I'm not a morning person.

Some people don't like others who are TOO perky in the morning. A perky co-worker once told me that one of the supervisors she'd just met hadn't responded to her chipper "good morning" in the break room. I knew why. She's a morning person, and a little too chipper and outgoing and chatty in the mornings. It can be irritating. A quiet, soft spoken "good morning" at the coffee machine is more than enough.

Some people have personal problems and have that on their minds. Or thinking about all the stuff they have to get done that day. Or they've gotten tired of all the eager new people that have been hired recently. There's an anxiousness to new people that can make the existing employees uncomfortable. (I'm a new employee, too.)

Some don't want to get close to newbies. They can be needy or call too often for assistance.

It could also be that's their personality...rude or standoffish.

Shrug it off. It doesn't matter. Act like you don't need them to say hi to you, which is the truth.

There was an employee who was friendly to me in the break room, but then started not smiling at me when she passed in teh mornings. I noticed. But then I shrugged it off as her personality and didn't give it any more thought. Then one day she smiled at me. I think that's just her personality. She's not a smiley, friendly person. She's pleasant and interesting when you talk to her, but she's not one chum around with people she doesn't actually do work with daily (I don't work with her...we sit near each other). She has what I call a dry personality. Not one to joke around or smile a lot or laugh....sort of serious...but pleasant when you speak with her. Totally the opposite of me (I laugh at anyone's jokes, I smile a lot, I like most people and show it, I'm comfortable with people because I like them - this can be intimidating to some).

I'd cut 'em some slack for the time being. You'll find out in time what they're really like.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread