HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I'm very thankful for my ...

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:51 AM

I'm very thankful for my job.

I earn my living as a legal secretary. I am extremely fortunate, and I am mindful of this fact everyday. I try hard not to take my job for granted.

How about you? Do you have a job? What do you do?

Do you not have a job? How are you faring?

7 replies, 1340 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm very thankful for my job. (Original post)
Bertha Venation Aug 2012 OP
CaliforniaPeggy Aug 2012 #1
Denninmi Aug 2012 #2
RebelOne Aug 2012 #3
raccoon Aug 2012 #4
Glorfindel Aug 2012 #5
femmocrat Aug 2012 #6
Digit Aug 2012 #7

Response to Bertha Venation (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:07 PM

1. My dear Bertha...

You are fortunate to realize how fortunate you are! Self-awareness is rare...

I no longer have a paying job; I'm retired. So, I goof off, write poetry, play here and on facebook, go to the gym on occasion, and like that...

I'm loving my retired life. I've never had so much freedom. I am often busy, but it's with things that *I* want to be busy with.

I hope you get to retire too, someday. It can be a wonderful and fulfilling time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:10 PM

2. I am really ashamed to admit this, in the day and age of rampant unemployment.

I HATE it with a passion. Hate, hate, hate. Every day forcing myself to get up and go is torture.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 01:26 PM

3. Bertha, you are very fortunate to have a job in these hard times.

I know of so many people that have been laid off, including me. I was laid off my job in 2010. The company was downsizing and eliminated my position. I was the only copy editor for outdoors magazines distributed across the U.S. I was devastated because I knew that those magazines would be going out with a multitude of errors. I was glad my name was not in the mastheads of these magazines any longer. I leafed through the Georgia issue (where I live) and was appalled at all the mistakes.

And yes, I did take my job for granted because I thought I was indispensable.

But the company gave me a very generous severance pay package. I was already past retirement age and collecting social security. So I just decided to retire.

Fortunately, I have some savings, but not enough. That's why I continued to work. I wanted to build up more money in my 401K.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:58 PM

4. I have a job and consider myself fortunate to have benes. For years, I worked

part-time with no benes.

Overall, I like my job pretty well. Some things I don't like about it, but that's true of any job.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 04:40 PM

5. I really, really like my job, and feel fortunate to have it

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 05:41 PM

6. I thoroughly appreciate how fortunate I have been.

I have been blessed to have been teaching (currently) for 18 years. Before that, I subbed for 12 years, trying to find a job. I never thought I would get hired full-time.

It's so hard to find a full-time position in this state. I have been extremely lucky.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 05:56 PM

7. I do have a job

Months after my unemployment insurance ran out I finally found a job at a call center. It is a soul sucking job at just over minimum wage, less than half of what I made in my previous job and a third of what I was making in 2008. No benefits and not quite 40 hrs a week, yuck.

At least they don't discriminate since they treat the employees AND the supervisors poorly.
Sometimes you do what you need to do to survive and to think I am probably one of the lucky ones makes me truly sick.

Of course I am applying for other jobs but so far have had no success.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread