HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Did anyone else watch Oly...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:06 AM

Did anyone else watch Olympic gymnastics this week? Did they ever show

any of the men on the rings, or did I just blink and miss it?

9 replies, 1616 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Did anyone else watch Olympic gymnastics this week? Did they ever show (Original post)
GreenPartyVoter Aug 2012 OP
texanwitch Aug 2012 #1
GreenPartyVoter Aug 2012 #3
texanwitch Aug 2012 #4
onehandle Aug 2012 #2
VenusRising Aug 2012 #5
RobinA Aug 2012 #6
eppur_se_muova Aug 2012 #7
WilmywoodNCparalegal Aug 2012 #8
AngryOldDem Aug 2012 #9

Response to GreenPartyVoter (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:09 AM

1. I don't see any action on the rings.

Maybe it isn't done anymore.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to texanwitch (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:18 AM

3. No, there were people on the rings. You could see them in the background, and I think I remember

seeing a guy from another country showcased on them during teams. But I definitely don't recall seeing our guys on them tonight. Bummer!

Reply to this post

Response to GreenPartyVoter (Reply #3)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 AM

4. I have recording and playing back on my dvr so I would have seen it.

I liked the rings.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:11 AM

2. You know what they say about a man with too many rings...

It Don't Come Easy.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:18 AM

5. I didn't see any coverage of the rings.

It's a shame because it's one of my favorite events that the men do.

NBC's Olympic coverage has been abysmal so far.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:07 PM

6. No Rings

In prime time, anyway. Actually, I never even heard a mention of rings. It's like they don't exist. Except you could see them in the background from time to time.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:34 PM

7. Individual apparatus finals will be Sun-Tue, rings on Mon ...

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 04:34 PM

8. Maybe none of the Americans did well on the rings and that's why NBC didn't show the apparatus

NBC's regular primetime coverage of the Olympics is so unabashedly biased in favor of anything USA that it is unwatchable for me - as a foreigner. Several coworkers and family members - both American and non - feel the same way as I do, so I know I'm not alone.

Simply that a competitor - female and from evil China - can be superior to two American males must be a plot or the result of doping, instead of simply skill, talent and athleticism, as if there have never been American athletes who ever used illegal substances yet still won gold medals.

I really don't care about the constant emphasis on Phelps, Lochte, the women's gymnastics team or whoever else is the flavor du jour simply because they win gold medals and are Americans. These athletes may be the best in their sports but there plenty of other athletes from other nations who are just as good in their respective sports. Yet, nary a word on them, simply because their jerseys represent a non-USA nation. What happened to the Olympic spirit of brotherhood and a celebration of athletics? It is very tiring to make the Olympics into some sort of 'Our nation is better than yours... na na na na boo boo' nationalistic spectacle.

There are more sports than gymnastics, swimming, beach volleyball and basketball during the Olympics. But if there aren't any Americans competing in them, you can bet you'll never see them, unless you don't have a daytime job and any of the NBC affiliated channels or read the foreign media. For instance, UK cyclist Bradley Wiggins won the Tour de France recently. He also won a gold medal in cycling. He is the first to complete the feat, an astounding athletic achievement. Not much has been said about him in the American press.

Instead, there are the same canned stories about the sacrifices the parents make (as if they are unique to athletes), or the sappy back stories about someone's crappy hometown upbringing. They could certainly replace them with the performances of the many other non-USA athletes who also compete and also ...gasp! win and break records.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 04:47 PM

9. Just one more reason why NBC sucks at this.

I'm rapidly losing interest in these games mainly because of NBC's piss-poor coverage.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread