HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » So, in an experiment, I v...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:43 AM

So, in an experiment, I visited a Chick-Fil-A for the first time yesterday - making my own tonight.

Mostly to do some recon on this "Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich" that we've all seen the homemade doppleganger recipe floating around the net lately (Google "Chick-Fil-Gay Recipe" for background info). I think that the copycat homemade recipe looks very good and I love to cook so I decided to buy the ingredients and make one myself. I actually think substituting the recipe's flour for light seasoned cornmeal will improve.

Just one problem: I'd never been to a Chick-Fil-A so I really had no idea about my objective. For the most part, I've never been to the Chick-Fil-A because ours is right near a Chipotle, Taco Bell, and Five guys... very little incentive to eat at a fast food fried chicken place with three of my favorite fast foods next door. Not to mention their limited operating hours don't jive with my schedule and theres a KFC within a 1/4 mile of my residence.

I must say, since I've never been to one I'm not sure if it's always that packed or it was benefiting from increased media exposure... but it was PACKED. I had to do a doubletake to see if another event was using the Chick-Fil-A parking lot as overflow or there were any crazy events/promotions happening. Nope, it was just packed. So instead of finding a spot in the packed lot I just decided to use the drive through (pretty long line there too). So immediately I'm thinking, "This place must make pretty good chicken." I ordered a regular chicken sandwich and a small order of chicken nuggets to get a fair sampling of chicken. Service seemed all-smiles and cheery and food was hot.

For the most part, given that it's a fast food restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised with the chicken nuggets and chicken patty. They seemed reasonably natural and not very processed, if at all; almost like cut up chicken tenders unlike your typical uber-processed McNugget or McChicken patty. The sandwich, considering it was over $3 seemed pretty modest. (just bread and pickles) and could have used some lettuce, mayo, mustard and hot sauce. Flavor was pretty good however and I liked the place, overall... I just thought value was on the low side. I'd probably consider eating there in the future, albeit rarely (Chipotle is, after all, directly across the street and a $6.50 veggie burrito beats two bare chicken sammiches).

I'm actually pretty excited about my pending homemade experiment because I do think homemade almost always tastes better. Additionally, I can make about 6 sandwiches for $10 (a much better value). I'll keep the post updated with results of my Chick-Fil-A knockoff sandwiches hopefully tonight.

10 replies, 1349 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply So, in an experiment, I visited a Chick-Fil-A for the first time yesterday - making my own tonight. (Original post)
OneTenthofOnePercent Aug 2012 OP
Scuba Aug 2012 #1
OneTenthofOnePercent Aug 2012 #2
riderinthestorm Aug 2012 #3
Bertha Venation Aug 2012 #4
OneTenthofOnePercent Aug 2012 #5
emilyg Aug 2012 #6
white_wolf Aug 2012 #7
fizzgig Aug 2012 #9
fizzgig Aug 2012 #8
pitohui Aug 2012 #10

Response to OneTenthofOnePercent (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:59 AM

1. Just what part of a chicken is the "nugget"?

Could you taste the hate?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scuba (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 AM

2. Ummm, not sure if your joking, but nugget describes the shape (not body-part).

I'm pretty sure the nuggets were white meat piecs - likely breast tenders. Although when I make homemade chicken tenders, homemade "bonless wings", or sandwiches I usually use dark meat (boneless/skinless thigh) because I like the taste better and it's 1/2 the price of chicken breast.

Unless hate tastes like pickle brine, salt, breading or paprika... no. It was alright, just not my cup of tea (for $3+). I'm a veggie burrito and messy hamburger kind of guy.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 12:49 PM

3. Its funny you googled the recipe, I did too! I've never been and wanted to see what the fuss is....

Thanks for the adventure - keep us updated on how it turns out!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 12:50 PM

4. Hi, OneTenth . . .

You wouldn't live in Southern Maryland, would you? " I've never been to the Chick-Fil-A because ours is right near a Chipotle, Taco Bell, and Five guys..." Same here.

Reply to this post

Response to Bertha Venation (Reply #4)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 05:15 PM

5. NE Ohio... sorry.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:16 AM

6. I like the grilled chicken

sandwich - let us know how things turn out.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 01:44 AM

7. Why would you eat at Chick-Fil-A when you have Five Guys?

I mean if I'm going to eat fast food that will probably kill me by the time I'm 30, I'm going to eat the best. And nothing can beat a Five Guys cheeseburger and Cajun fries.

Reply to this post

Response to white_wolf (Reply #7)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:54 AM

9. i am long overdue for a five guys run

it's a special occasion for us anymore, maybe two or three times a year, but i would eat it at least once a week if i could.

my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:49 AM

8. it made me ill the two times i ate there

terrible stomach ache and i have guts of cast iron. the waffle fries are tasty, yes, but the flavor of the chicken is off to me.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:03 AM

10. seriously you don't get recipe inspiration from chik fila

the last time i was there was in the 80s but it was the same deal

chicken nuggets is ugh chicken nuggets, which is nasty, nobody's going there for the food, the product they sell is hate and brain washed haters buying same

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread