HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Mangoes and Watermelon
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:04 AM

Mangoes and Watermelon

Well chilled.

I set some mangoes and watermelon on the counter last night before I went to bed. I woke up and found that my teen daughter had not only cut them up but also "cleaned up", all without asking............................

Breakfast tasted really good.

5 replies, 453 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mangoes and Watermelon (Original post)
Remmah2 Aug 2012 OP
HopeHoops Aug 2012 #1
Remmah2 Aug 2012 #2
HopeHoops Aug 2012 #3
Remmah2 Aug 2012 #4
HopeHoops Aug 2012 #5

Response to Remmah2 (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:24 AM

1. Our three do similar things. Kids are great.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:35 AM

2. When you least expect it.

Life is good.

Reply to this post

Response to Remmah2 (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:26 AM

3. We've got three wonderful daughters. We give them chores, but they do much more alone.

They're 17, (almost) 19, and 21 and the eldest's boyfriend has moved in so he helps out as well. He just fixed the flush lever in the downstairs toilet for me. I wouldn't trade them, or my wife, for anything.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:39 AM

4. Best way to deal with them.

I found the best way to deal with them is to NOT micromanage them.

If I say "get the dishes done"; I catch backtalk. If I ask, "can you do the dishes by 9pm", they get done. It lets them pick the time.

Also a bad job done is better than no job done. My son wanted to learn how to drive the lawnmower at 14. I didn't criticize what looked like a cheap haircut, told my wife to have patience. He took great pride in learning and improving, he mastered the job and "owns" the yard now. He's 20 now and lives at home while commuting to college. I have not touched the mower in 6 years. He even puts the tools back!

Reply to this post

Response to Remmah2 (Reply #4)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 11:03 AM

5. I've got a top of the line push mower now but I can't use it because of my back.

The vibration, as little as it is, just kills me. It's got an electric starter, rear-wheel drive, four gears, and a 22" base, single lever height adjustment for all four wheels, rear bagger (which we don't use) and a 7.5hp B&S engine. I used it a couple of times and suffered greatly for the experience. When I was 14 I mowed lawns during the summer. I paid off the cost of the mower my dad bought for me to do it and made money on top of that. I've lived in this house for over 10 years and not ONCE has a kid come by to offer to mow the lawn. My wife, my kids, and my eldest daughter's boyfriend do the mowing now.

We've got just shy of a half acre and I call the rear "the back 40". We also have a lot of obstacles, gardens, trees, pool area, herb bed, fire pit, dog leads, etc. so it takes a lot longer than a bland open yard would. Right now, most of it is clover and I'm cool with that. We've got more honeybees and bumbles than the entire rest of the neighborhood combined.

Even though the older two are adults now, they still follow the chores list and do much more on their own just because they want to help the household. The youngest is the most resentful of chores, but she still complies with the list. All my wife does is write in initials (on a spreadsheet, of course) and they circle them when they've completed each task. There are very few occasions when she gets home from work and the list isn't complete.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread