HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I just got a gift of daff...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed May 2, 2012, 10:33 AM

I just got a gift of daffodil and tulip bulbs from a client. Do I plant them or wait?

She's moving to Pennsylvania and she gifted me several pots of tulip and daffodil bulbs she just dug up from her flower bed. I'm in Northern Illinois and honestly, I have no idea if I should transplant them now or hold off til the fall (or next spring). All my daffys and tulips were already here when we bought the place - I never have dug them up, transplanted them, or done anything with the ones I've got so these are my first bulbs ever.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with these?

7 replies, 1234 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply I just got a gift of daffodil and tulip bulbs from a client. Do I plant them or wait? (Original post)
riderinthestorm May 2012 OP
Viva_La_Revolution May 2012 #1
greatauntoftriplets May 2012 #2
Arkansas Granny May 2012 #3
zanana1 May 2012 #4
riderinthestorm May 2012 #5
UTUSN May 2012 #6
riderinthestorm May 2012 #7

Response to riderinthestorm (Original post)

Wed May 2, 2012, 10:49 AM

1. I just planted some here and they should be okay

daff bulbs bought on discount cause they're done blooming for the year. but the bulbs will grow underground, maybe even send up leaves (which make energy for the flower for next year). You can also store them in the fridge, but I've never done that, just planted them and waited for next spring.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 2, 2012, 11:00 AM

2. I always planted tulip and daffodil bulbs in the fall.

Also in northern Illinois.

Reply to this post

Wed May 2, 2012, 11:09 AM

3. I'd treat them like any other transplant and plant them now.

I've moved bulbs in my yard before after they've bloomed and they did just fine.

Reply to this post

Wed May 2, 2012, 11:39 AM

4. Wait until they've "passed"...

Cut off most of the leaves (leave about 2 inches near the bulbs). Let them dry out in your basement or wherever. In the fall, plant them. You should get some beautiful flowers in the spring. Some people say that if they come aready potted, they won't work out, but I've done it.

Reply to this post

Wed May 2, 2012, 08:42 PM

5. Thanks for the advice! You all are the best! nt

Reply to this post

Wed May 2, 2012, 09:36 PM

6. Tell 'em to SEND THE CASH. Sorry. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #6)

Wed May 2, 2012, 10:01 PM

7. I have no idea what you mean but regardless, they really ARE going to be paying us cash

We've agreed to haul their horse out there for them in June so we get another freebie sightseeing trip similar to our trip to NYC in January (old DU thread here http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=105&topic_id=9595155&mesg_id=9595155)

All expenses paid to Philadelphia plus some extra money for touristy stuff (Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Franklin Museum, Valley Forge...). I'm doing the trip with my 15 year old and we're going to take our time - we may even try to hit Washington DC as well if I can find a place to park my truck and trailer for a couple of days.

So yup, cash is always good and this lady is definitely sending some our way!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread