HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Chris Matthews: Next Pope...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:11 AM

Chris Matthews: Next Pope Should Get Real About Sex

An agnostic Amen!

8 replies, 1134 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chris Matthews: Next Pope Should Get Real About Sex (Original post)
Ian Iam Feb 2013 OP
bulloney Feb 2013 #1
vt_native Feb 2013 #2
iandhr Feb 2013 #7
riverbenddem Feb 2013 #3
olegramps Feb 2013 #5
DFW Feb 2013 #6
avebury Feb 2013 #8
customerserviceguy Feb 2013 #4

Response to Ian Iam (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:34 AM

1. I've had a problem with single, celibate men putting themselves in authoritative posistions

on sex, marriage and parenthood.

If I have a question on mechanical engineering, I'm going to look up a mechanical engineer for answers, not a WalMart greeter.

I know a lot of people, however, who will belligerently argue for the RCC's position on birth control, marriage among the Catholic clergy and the like. And the only answer they can give is, "Because that's what the Vatican says." The Vatican, as they refer, is a group of vetted men who interpret ancient writings. It's a self-perpetuating policy because they vet candidates for cardinals to make sure the current RCC dogma remains unchanged. At the same time, the Vatican will make statements for free and open government in countries around the world.

What's wrong with this picture?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:49 AM

2. Screw you, Tweety

for pretending the Catlick Church has any moral authority.

Reply to this post

Response to vt_native (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM

7. That is not his point.

His point is that the church is 600 years behind the times.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 AM

3. I don't get this....

I am not a Catholic. However, to me, it seems that if there stance against birth control was correct for them throughout time, it should still be right for them. I don't see where their beliefs and practices should have to be tied to current social whims.

If you don't care for their belief system - don't be a Catholic....

Reply to this post

Response to riverbenddem (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:25 AM

5. There are Catholics that believe that the church doesn't belong solely to the hierarchy.

Vatican II made this a principle issue that the laity are just as much a part of the priesthood as the professionals. However, this concept has only been granted lip service at best as the traditionalists regained control. The majority bishops who attended Vatican II were very outspoken and progressive. This was viewed as an unholy threat by the ultra-conservatives who regained control of the Vatican and were determined to put down what the considered a dangerous revolution.

Reply to this post

Response to riverbenddem (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:11 PM

6. The problem is not their stance being "right for them"

The problem is them wanting to impose their stance on the whole country and the world.

When that is tried in the name of Allah, we send missiles and bombs.

I don't want me or my family to be forced to conform to the beliefs of the Pope any more than I want them to be forced to conform to the beliefs of the Taliban. It is not "right for me," get it?

They can all go pray to the Great Pumpkin on their own time, and it's fine with me. But don't you DARE try to force your beliefs on the country of which I am a citizen. That goes for Catholics as well as Taliban.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:12 PM

8. Well said! K&R nt

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:11 AM

4. Being as the last two popes

appointed just about every single one of the cardinals who will be making the decision on a new pope, that's not terribly likely to happen. They were both pretty careful not to pick any Souters.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread