HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » The Night James Brown Sav...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 05:42 PM

The Night James Brown Saved Boston, Without Drones

On April 4th, Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated:

?

The next day, riots broke out in over 100 cities:

James Brown was scheduled to give a concert at the Boston Garden that night. This scared the hell out of Boston Mayor Kevin White, he said "Hell no, we've got to stop it! All those angry black folks in one place? That's just asking for a riot!"

But Boston Councilman Tom Atkins said "Hell yes! Not only should we let the concert go on, we should televise it to all of Boston as a tribute to Dr. King. That's how we increase the peace!"

White said "Damned good idea!", then he and Atkins ran it by Brown who said "Sure! Give me the damn money!"

So the concert went forward, live and on the teevee. Brown did an amazing job of entertaining, tributing, and staring down would-be troublemakers.

And somehow, without droning anyone into Freedom Mist, Boston went peaceful. No riots.

And that's how we increase the peace, my friends.

The whole story's available on video, free if you have Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Night-James-Brown-Saved-Boston/dp/B001R20V90/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0

7 replies, 2113 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Night James Brown Saved Boston, Without Drones (Original post)
MannyGoldstein Feb 2013 OP
Warpy Feb 2013 #1
MannyGoldstein Feb 2013 #2
frazzled Feb 2013 #3
ewagner Feb 2013 #4
babylonsister Feb 2013 #5
Summer Hathaway Feb 2013 #6
hibbing Feb 2013 #7

Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 05:56 PM

1. I was still in the south then

and I worked an awful shift, 7 PM to 3 AM, so that I could manage school. When I got out of work at 3 AM, there wasn't an intact plate glass window in the downtown area. I'd had the foresight to dress completely outside the company dress code, so the one gang I encountered just flashed me a peace sign and yelled "Hiya, hippie!"

Nothing got torched, there was just window smashing and minimal looting. I'm always amazed by how polite they were in that town considering what they'd been through during the lunch counter sit ins.

Boston, however, would have been nothing but ashes had not James Brown been a hero. People were still talking about him that night many years later.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 06:11 PM

2. It was years before I moved here, and I had no idea

Until I saw the video last night.

Crazy stuff. Good crazy, though.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 06:14 PM

3. More impressive was Petey Greene in D.C. (with apologies to the great James Brown)

The film Talk to Me is based on the life of Washington, D.C., radio announcer Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene Jr. The smart-talking ex-convict is now regarded as one of the first shock jocks.

But Greene was much more than an entertainer: He was also a social activist who offered cutting commentary on race, poverty, power and politics and whose voice calmed angry and despairing residents of the nation's capital after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

Kasi Lemmons directed Talk to Me, which stars Don Cheadle as the outspoken Greene, who spent more than a decade on air at WOL-AM. Chiwetel Ejiofor co-stars as Dewey Hughes, the station's straight-laced program director, who is Greene's business partner and, ultimately, friend.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11955100

The film culminates in this crazy DJ literally talking down the people of Washington D.C. from riots after the assassination. Here's a trailer; rent or stream it if you never saw it:

PS: I don't know what this conversation has to do with the current drone issue. Honestly.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 PM

4. I never knew this

thanks

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 07:41 PM

5. "droning people into freedom mist..."

Too bad you had to get your pound of flesh off of a great story on its own merits. You sullied it.

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 PM

6. Precisely.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 01:11 AM

7. wow

Hi,
Thanks for posting this, I had never even heard about this or let alone seen it.

Peace

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread