HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » U.S. Attack on Iran by Sp...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:27 PM

U.S. Attack on Iran by Spring?

"Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak is confident, he says, that the United States has plans for surgical strikes against Iran as a last-ditch measure if Tehran refuses to stop its development of a nuclear-weapons capability.

In a televised interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Thursday, Christopher Dickey of Newsweek and The Daily Beast noted the American administration's reluctance to involve itself in another Muslim world war and asked if there were any way Israel could go to war with Iran that did not drag in the United States."*

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak is confident that if sanctions fail to halt Tehran's nuclear-weapons development, the United States has a plan to use so-called surgical strikes to eliminate the threat. Or start an all out war? Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

*Read more from The Daily Beast: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/25/ehud-barak-at-davos-u-s-could-strike-iran-to-block-nuclear-progress.html

21 replies, 1665 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply U.S. Attack on Iran by Spring? (Original post)
rachel1 Feb 2013 OP
thelordofhell Feb 2013 #1
kitt6 Feb 2013 #2
another_liberal Feb 2013 #3
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #4
another_liberal Feb 2013 #5
SkyDaddy7 Feb 2013 #6
another_liberal Feb 2013 #9
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #11
another_liberal Feb 2013 #12
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #13
another_liberal Feb 2013 #15
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #16
another_liberal Feb 2013 #17
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #18
another_liberal Feb 2013 #19
SkyDaddy7 Feb 2013 #20
another_liberal Feb 2013 #21
SkyDaddy7 Feb 2013 #7
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #14
cantbeserious Feb 2013 #8
another_liberal Feb 2013 #10

Response to rachel1 (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:52 PM

1. Didn't I hear this same shit around this time last year?

What's so special about this time that these stories keep popping up?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:54 PM

2. Ah Bull!

In Israel dreams.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:20 PM

3. Granddad used to say . . .

Granddad used to say, "If wishes were horses then beggars could ride."

Ehud Barak is most likely just wishing.

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 03:11 AM

4. It isn't Barak "making the wish."

I suggest you read the article and not the propaganda above or your own. Besides, this shit has been going on for over 10 fucking years now. I suggest you do a search of DU archives for "US/Israel to attack Iran" and watch how many of these "predictive" threads/stories pop-up.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 09:21 AM

5. Well, I do hope . . .

Well, I do sincerely hope Barak is just wishing. If he isn't, one of our closest allies has a dangerously disturbed man as its Defense Minister.

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:30 AM

6. Barak did not say it! LOL!

Are you just trying to be combative or did you not watch the video? Cenk is the one who is claiming he talked to an Israeli who said he thinks it might happen by spring...NOT Barak.

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 12:58 PM

9. Who else said it?

The text is brief and to the point :

"Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak is confident, he says, that the United States has plans for surgical strikes against Iran . . ."

"Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak is confident that if sanctions fail to halt Tehran's nuclear-weapons development, the United States has a plan to use so-called surgical strikes to eliminate the threat."

How else can one read it except that Barak said the U.S. will attack Iran by Spring, unless that nation, which for years has resisted all demands it cease developing nuclear technology, complies with our dictates in the next month or two? What am I missing?

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #9)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:06 PM

11. Are you kidding?!

Last edited Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:52 PM - Edit history (1)

As the other poster suggested, watch the video! It is only a few ticks in when Cenk claims he met with an Israeli in LA who said the US may attack by spring.

I notice in your quotes, not ONCE does Barak say "SPRING," now does he?! How else canone read it? Well, apparently one can read it with words that aren't even there and are unable to distinguish between "has plans" and "if sanctions fail" because it 'magically' becomes "will attack this Spring!"

Edit: Spelling errors all over!

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #11)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:24 PM

12. Just splitting hairs . . .

That is just splitting hairs over a minor point. The importance of what Israel's defense minister claimed is that he felt justified in speaking for our government, and the American people, on a matter of life and death to potentially thousands of our fellow citizens.

Surely you can't deny that?

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:42 PM

13. Not splitting hairs.

First, Barak didn't say what you initially claimed, so you moved the goalposts and are claiming it is "splitting hairs." Second, he didn't speak for our government. Third, your sensationalist propaganda is pathetic, even worse than Cenk's bullshit "reporting." Finally, you either didn't read the article and/or watch the video and are only reacting to the title of the OP and a few cherry-picked lines that you are desperately trying to make into something that wasn't said.

So, who is really hoping for an attack on Iran? Looks more like the ones who keep pimping the SAME fear-mongering crap over and over; and it ain't just the right.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:49 PM

15. Settle down a little . . .

Settle down a little with the personal attacks. You are way out of line, my friend.

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #15)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:50 PM

16. So, nothing.

No personal attacks, but felt the need to deflect as you have nothing substantial. And, I am not your friend.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #16)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:55 PM

17. I'm not your enemy either . . .

I'm not your enemy either, excitable stranger.

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #17)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:56 PM

18. I didn't say you were.

I of course never said you were, oh creator of strawmen and "facts."

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #18)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:00 PM

19. There you go again . . .

There you go again with the name-calling. "Creator of strawmen and facts," just means you're using an underhanded way to call me a liar. That is not nice.

Reply to this post

Response to another_liberal (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:45 AM

20. NO NO NO...

Barak did say the US has the ability to attack Iran but he did not give a time...However, the claim America will do it by the spring came from someone Cenk claims he talked to...NOT Barak.

Go back & listen to the TYT video & you will see. It is all hype/rumors anyway...How often does this happen? At least twice a year for the past 10yrs & still NOTHING.

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #20)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:59 AM

21. I was led to believe, by the top post's title . . .

I was led to believe, by the top post's title, that Israel's Minister of Defense had said publicly we would attack Iran by "Spring." I am quite pleased to find that was not his actual on-the-record comment.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:36 AM

7. I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

I swear I think Cenk & many of my fellow Liberals actually want the US & Israel to attack Iran so they can have something to be really mad about...These same people, like you said, have been predicting an American &/or Israeli strike on Iran for years!

It is sad that we have people on our side who would rather get worked up over rumors than actually worrying about things that matter. SAD!

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #7)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:48 PM

14. Yup!

They have no problem identifying the BS of the often crowed, "Iran will have the bomb in X days/months/years", but when it comes to the loaded "the US/Israel will attack Iran in (name a day/month/season)", suddenly it is "truth2power" or some other bullshit catch phrase. Do you remember the threads about the attack before the democratic convention? Or the ones "it is the October surprise"? Or the attack will take place the weekend before the elections? On DU2, I actually complied a list of the threads on DU and articles, stretching back EIGHT years, on this very subject. Each one hellbent on saying "this time it is for real, yo!"

They get worked up over the rumors, not out of fear, but out of hate.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:08 AM

8. More Pandering To Republican Wet Dreams

eom

Reply to this post

Response to cantbeserious (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:00 PM

10. Yup.

They're running out of wars, all the currently active ones are winding down. They needed a morale boost pretty badly.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread