HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » $5.7 Million to Protect.....
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:08 PM

$5.7 Million to Protect... Corn?

Last edited Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:39 PM - Edit history (1)

Three University professors received a $5.7 million grant from the National Science Foundation on Jan. 1 to research the effects of ground-level ozone on corn. Is more genetic modification what we need?

Source: "Protecting corn from Ozone: University receives 5.7 million grant for ozone research" (University of Illinois Daily Illini, 1/21/13):

2 replies, 833 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply $5.7 Million to Protect... Corn? (Original post)
alp227 Jan 2013 OP
Buzz Clik Jan 2013 #1
DhhD Jan 2013 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:41 PM

1. Damn. What a couple of babbling idiots.

"5.7 million dollars to study ... get this ... CORN!"

She then goes on to start yammering about not needing more genetically modified corn.

This is the problem with having the unprepared making commentaries about science. The article in the Daily Illini states that they will be using crosses -- classic, old school plant breeding -- to achieve the goal.

Sorry, folks. I know these smart asses think they are being clever, but ignorance is not an admirable trait.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:01 PM

2. Not long ago there were holes in the ozone protective layer in the atmosphere due to Greenhouse

Gasses. Now there is too much? What? If there is too much O3 on the ground, then why is the study about looking for a genetic solution instead of finding and stopping the source of O3? Has the wind stopped blowing in the Corn Belt?

This sounds fishy to me.

Is the study really about radiation and growing corn on Mars? (My thought are fishy too! What fun.)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread