HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Eyes on the Prize - The P...

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:18 PM

Eyes on the Prize - The Promised Land 1967-1968

In the final year of Martin Luther King's life, the movement turned its attention to the economic issues confronting the nation and the ramblings of a far off war in Vietnam. Moved by the increasing level of poverty, Dr. King and his staff searched for a strategy to effect an economic redistribution of wealth. They began to organize a Poor People's Campaign, a march of the poor to Washington D.C., where they would erect Resurrection City to embarrass and motivate a reluctant government. In the midst of organizing the campaign, Dr. King was called away to help black sanitation workers on strike in Memphis. On April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. King's staff struggled to continue the campaign. Soon after its construction, Resurrection City was shut down, marking the end of a chapter of the civil rights movement.
http://www2.ku.edu/cgiwrap/ids/vs/browse.pl?op=single&id=62337

2 replies, 1174 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Eyes on the Prize - The Promised Land 1967-1968 (Original post)
limpyhobbler Jan 2013 OP
abq e streeter Jan 2013 #1
Rhiannon12866 Jan 2013 #2

Response to limpyhobbler (Original post)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:24 PM

1. This is an outstanding series.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to limpyhobbler (Original post)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:40 PM

2. K&R!!! I watched this entire series when it was first broadcast on PBS

It was just excellent, totally opened my eyes to so much in our recent history, in my lifetime, that I never knew!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread