HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » 'Sandy Hook Hoax' Video D...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:42 PM

'Sandy Hook Hoax' Video Debunking

14 replies, 3485 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Sandy Hook Hoax' Video Debunking (Original post)
celtics23 Jan 2013 OP
angrychair Jan 2013 #1
WinstonSmith4740 Jan 2013 #3
D Gary Grady Jan 2013 #6
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #10
LineLineNew Reply ?
PatrynXX Jan 2013 #8
uh clem Jan 2013 #13
WhoIsNumberNone Jan 2013 #2
zeemike Jan 2013 #5
angrychair Jan 2013 #4
HawkeyeLibkid Jan 2013 #7
dembotoz Jan 2013 #11
PatrynXX Jan 2013 #9
SemperEadem Jan 2013 #12
freshwest Jan 2013 #14

Response to celtics23 (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:00 PM

1. not trying to be rude

but why is this even being given ink? It is INSANE to state these events did not happen or happened because of some government conspiracy. It is an EMPIRICAL TRUTH that this event occurred. Its not up to debate. Please don't give anymore time or effort to this crap. Say something to the effect of what I've said and move on.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to angrychair (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:04 PM

3. Maybe we saw it differently,

but I thought he was debunking the conspiracy claims. We may know that the cretins who put this crap out there are crazy, but we need to admit they exist (i.e., Jon Stewart's "Bullshit Mountain"), and expose them for the crazies they are.

Reply to this post

Response to WinstonSmith4740 (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:09 PM

6. I think the point was that debunking calls attention to the nonsense

There's a school of thought (with, to be fair, some supporting evidence) that holds that trying to debunk nonsense is a lost cause, because people inclined to believe such drivel aren't very fact-driven to start with, so debunking to often only calls attention to whatever is being debunked and helps spread it. (In fact, the only mentions I've personally heard of the Sandy Hook conspiracy theories have come from articles and blog posts debunking it.)

However, even if that's at least partly true, I still think debunking is a good idea. Not everybody is immune to hard facts and rational argument, and we owe it to those people to supply said facts and arguments. In addition, there are some notable cases in which public debunkings clearly did reduce the number of people who admitted to believing silly rumors (and did away with the conspiracy-mongers' claims that "they're not even bothering to deny it"). Snopes, for example, strikes me as far from a waste of time (if you can put up with their obnoxiously intrusive pop-up ads and other annoyances), and active debunkings did a lot to reduce the popularity of everything from the silly P&G satanism claims to twaddle about Obama's being born in Kenya. (A friend of mine suggests you could make big money selling people "proof that Obama was actually born on a Pacific island!")

Reply to this post

Response to WinstonSmith4740 (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:21 AM

10. I agree.

Some of us don't shelter ourselves at DU all day. We actually know real life people who post at facebook. If false information is the only thing anyone sees, they will think that's the only side of the story. One thing I have not been inspired to do, is to do all the footwork to find the elements that explain the true picture. I have a few 'causes' that I know enough about, and have time and energy to work on. I also happen to have a very good facebook friend who has posted more than two, well researched articles debunking the CTs. He has almost 5,000 subscribers. And STILL people show up to these posts and challenge him! NOW, that I've seen the comments in the video, I can help him answer the swarm. Or anyone else.

What I'm trying to say, is I've watched a few of those CT videos. I hear a lot more of it when I read comments on facebook. I don't have the resources to research the truth, because my resources are already allocated. I appreciate those who can commit some of their resources to compile this information. Prior to watching, I have just observed. And even though I believe my friend's research, that's all I know.

Anyway, I'm not satisfied to just blow everyone off because they are "cretins" or "crazies". It never advances our position to put up walls to keep them out of our view. More divisiveness is NOT what our society needs. Will it make a difference if we talk about the right information to those who belief the CTs? I don't know. I'm not an expert on the psychology involved. Maybe that's something I do needs to spend some time on. Meanwhile, these people are members of our society. Building the Wall between the States and Mexico is an ignorant idea, and completely pointless. So too, I believe are building these walls between ourselves and those who have never been taught to examine information in a rational, linear way.

(I seem to be going through one of my spells where I have a lot of trouble expressing myself in writing. This too shall pass!)

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 PM

8. ?

So are you saying the events didn't occur? or did you fail to watch the video?? I hope your not one of these conspiracy truthers. Think you should watch the video or remove that post..

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:27 PM

13. I think it's important to debunk this because...

...it casts a light on the larger issue of the kind of tactics the militant gun rights activists employ to influence public opinion.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:47 PM

2. OK, here's MY conspiracy theory

The Sandy Hook massacre was orchestrated by the NRA to sell more guns. They did it knowing that guns, ammo and high capacity magazines all fly off the shelves whenever there is a massacre, because the paranoid gun nuts always flip out and buy up everything they can before Obama comes to take their guns away. So it's all about profits for the gun manufacturers.

Makes about as much sense as any of the other conspiracy bullshit I've been hearing...

Reply to this post

Response to WhoIsNumberNone (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:06 PM

5. Well here is mine

It was done by a shady group of right wing extremist to provoke Obama to do something about guns...and when he did it would cause all the gun nuts to form themselves into army's to take back the country from the tyrant Obama.
And it seems to be working...although many of you don't know about it cause you will not watch what the nut jobs are saying to each other..(much like they ignored Hitler cause he was nuts)...but that is exactly what some of them want.
And how big of a conspiracy would it have been?....3 or 4 at the most?
And it is so easy to make it a CT by Obama and it is for sure that the left will blow it all off because of that...and no one even looks at some right wing radical groups.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 PM

4. my point is more simple

To 'debunk' it is to give it validation as needing 'debunking'. The sky is blue...if someone says "its red" there is no need to challenge them and try to prove its blue...there is no need, it is blue. There is no point/counter-point to debate. They are INSANE. Look at them dismissively, laugh and say "alrighty then" and walk away.

Reply to this post

Response to angrychair (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:11 PM

7. It has more to do with

the fact that the video is going viral and people are stupid enough to think it's real.

Reply to this post

Response to HawkeyeLibkid (Reply #7)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 AM

11. yep

Reply to this post

Response to angrychair (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:49 PM

9. Unfortunately thats not how it works

hence the I can see Russia from My House. Now hands up if Sarah Palin said that. X_X ahem alas I believe that was the SNL skit. But she never debunked it. So.. most people assume she said it.

as for the sky being red. Well it was once in Highlander II. but eventually they changed the color to something else. Thought the red was appropriate but they changed it. Not that Highlander II was bad. But at least they fought with swords. oh wait. well there was that scene where they may have used 5000 rounds of ammo to shoot the car up and somehow Virginia Madsen made it out without a scratch.

But if something is not debunked they people believe it. And coming from a minor player up here this isn't exactly getting national attention.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:18 AM

12. the people who would watch that video and give it credit

aren't people who know how to analyze and use critical thinking... they have to have what they believe spoon fed to them because they never have thought for themselves. Their cognitive dissonance is so extreme that if it doesn't buttress what they already only allow themselves to know, then they reject all premises outright.

Hence the million views... btw I realize some of those views are from people who can use critical thinking and are debunking the absurdity of the offensive premise that this was a hoax.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:18 PM

14. Thanks for posting this because people in Newtown are being harrassed by these wackjobs!

There is hardly anyone who does as good a job at analyzing any issue and keeping a cool head than DP. I wish he was with the White House as chief of state or PR.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread