HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Choose Your Own Crime Sta...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:52 PM

Choose Your Own Crime Stats - Must See Viral video

Crime stats they'd rather you not hear.
https://www.facebook.com/AmidstTheNoise
https://twitter.com/AmidstTheNoise
Sources:
FBI Uniform Crime Reports Table 1
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-1

FBI Uniform Crime Reports Table 16
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table_16_rate_number_of_crimes_per_100000_inhabitants_by_population_group_2011.xls

FBI Uniform Crime Repots Table 8
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

Crimes Detected in England and Wales 2011/2012
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/crime-research/hosb0812/hosb0812?view=Binary

24 replies, 3093 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Choose Your Own Crime Stats - Must See Viral video (Original post)
Dokkie Jan 2013 OP
ancianita Jan 2013 #1
Dokkie Jan 2013 #2
ancianita Jan 2013 #3
HawkeyeLibkid Jan 2013 #4
Dokkie Jan 2013 #5
Robb Jan 2013 #12
cpwm17 Jan 2013 #6
JDPriestly Jan 2013 #7
ErikJ Jan 2013 #8
PurpleEngineer Jan 2013 #9
Confusious Jan 2013 #11
SkyDaddy7 Jan 2013 #13
Confusious Jan 2013 #14
SkyDaddy7 Jan 2013 #24
bowens43 Jan 2013 #22
zeemike Jan 2013 #10
fromwyoming Jan 2013 #19
Mika Jan 2013 #15
tclambert Jan 2013 #16
LaydeeBug Jan 2013 #17
Scuba Jan 2013 #18
Cowpunk Jan 2013 #20
Dokkie Jan 2013 #21
Democracyinkind Jan 2013 #23

Response to Dokkie (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:57 PM

1. For all of them I got "This page does not seem to exist" Must be busy? Video works fine.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ancianita (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:05 PM

2. Its all fixed now.

Enjoy

Reply to this post

Response to Dokkie (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:20 PM

3. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:28 PM

4. He actually just picked his own stats...

because he conveniently does not tell you that the definition of a "violent crime" in England/Wales is much broader than the US.

Reply to this post

Response to HawkeyeLibkid (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:35 PM

5. I read somewhere else that

the British calc their murder rate very differently. If you believe we are not comparing the same things, then lets stop comparing England with the US all together. I am sure the drug war is not as ragging in the UK as it is raging in the US but we still compare gun homicide with England even though the gang wars to control drug turf is the majority of the gun homicide in the US.

Reply to this post

Response to Dokkie (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 PM

12. Horseshit.

http://www.ojp.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/2011/BJS_PR-111611.pdf

The number of homicides known to involve adult or juvenile gang violence has quadrupled since 1980,
increasing from about 220 homicides in 1980 to 960 homicides in 2008. From 1980 to 2008, gang
violence increased from one percent to six percent of all homicides.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:45 PM

6. Great Britain has the crime, but few guns

so they have a much lower murder rate. It's pretty simple.

Since rifles count for a small percentage of murders, it then makes sense to put significant regulations on the weapons that are used in most murders: hand guns. Also it makes sense to outlaw mass-murder weapons.

All of these weapons have been proven to be a danger to society. People in large cities are also Americans just like the rest of us Americans. No decent person can oppose heavy regulations on these dangerous weapons.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:48 PM

7. I live in an area of Los Angeles that had a higher homicide rate in the past year than

Last edited Fri Jan 11, 2013, 05:09 PM - Edit history (1)

other areas. In fact, I think I read that we were the only area in the city that did not reduce the homicide rate this year.

Our area is in the process of gentrification. But we still have very some overcrowded, poorly maintained multi-family housing. It is ugly. It is crowded. And there is no space for children to play or for adults to relax. You walk past. The windows in some of the places are barred and radios blare.

Surrounding these multi-family housing units are homes with backyards, most of which were built in the early half of the 20th century.

We have a few large parks in our area, but even though there are empty lots every once in a while, not many pocket parks with playgrounds.

And the city wants to permit the construction of more apartment buildings.

Having lived in cities, small towns and rural areas, I must say that while the quality of life in a city is the best in terms of culture (lots more interesting things to do than take drugs, etc.), you have to be able to afford to take advantage of the cultural opportunities. People in West LA think nothing of paying the entrance or joining a museum. It's tough for families on very tight budgets. Cities offer a lot of opportunity for anonymity and therefore attract angry, violent people who come because they want to act out their violent impulses. That is why we want strong police forces and wish we had fewer guns on our streets.

Small towns are a kind of ideal except that everyone knows your business. That is good because it restrains the kind of extremely anti-social behavior we see in cities. But it is bad because once you have a reputation, you are stuck. You have little opportunity for social mobility. You are safer, however, in my view. I have to laugh at some of the money the Bush administration threw at small towns for Homeland Security. What kind of terrorist even knows about Podunk, US much less wants to harm people there? We just aren't in that much danger. As long as the statistics show that a town does not have a serious crime problem, who cares who has a gun. Everybody knows everybody or if not everybody knows somebody who knows that "stranger." A big police force is not needed, and gun control is not usually a real issue. Of course, some of the big killing sprees have been in smaller towns, not big cities. So to some extent it is the small towns that live in a bit of denial. Still, killing sprees are rare even today.

Rural areas have low population density and low crime, but they also have less efficient government protection from the police. If you live in a rural area, you probably need to protect yourself. And you may want guns that are as powerful as the guns that someone might try to turn on you.

One size of gun laws does not fit all. That's the fact. And I think we all need to discuss what is appropriate and where. Because no one among us has 'THE' answer.

These statistics are helpful.

I would like to mention that it used to be that in Europe, people lived above the stores. That tends to discourage a lot of crime -- breaking into stores -- at night.

Also, domestic violence is a huge problem in the US. I would like to know what percentage of the killings of various kinds (separated by weapon used) might be considered domestic violence -- killing of someone you know.

I watched an interesting video on Netflix about going postal. I'm not sure of the title, but it pointed out the tremendous anger in our country especially in the 1980s.

I have to add that poverty had nothing to do with the rampages in Sandy Hook, Aurora, Etc. Those were simply angry fits. If you think that getting out-of-control angry is a sign of mental illness, then it was mental illness. I think that mentally ill people can get out-of-control angry and throw tantrums but just saying that any person who gets into an uncontrollable fit and starts killing people is inaccurate and overly simplistic.

Lack of self-control is a national problem. Killing sprees is one symptom. So is road rage. And there are many others.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:49 PM

8. Mass shootings much higher in the US and not in inner cities.

THey seem to be occurring in suburbs or small town settings. And they use semi-automatics which is the target of the ban.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:01 PM

9. Ya know, in the 18th Century, we kicked Britain's ass, then did it again in the 19th Century...

Then in the 20th Century, we saved their asses from the Nazi's. So, my question is, why the fuck would we look to GB as some sort of example for any-fucking-thing?

Reply to this post

Response to PurpleEngineer (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:54 PM

11. We didn't do anything in the 19th century

The war of 1812 was a draw. Neither side could get traction.

It was more of an embarrassment for us, because it was our yard.

We also didn't "kick their ass" in the 18th century either. If France hadn't helped us, we'd all be selecting "British English."

Reply to this post

Response to Confusious (Reply #11)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:24 PM

13. You are wrong about the War of 1812...

It was seen as a HUGE WIN for the USA...They stood up to the most powerful military in the world on their own unlike what happened in 1776 & survived! It was the beginning of the USA dominance in the world. How you managed to spin it as "It was more of an embarrassment for us, because it was our yard." is ridiculous.

Obviously you do not like the USA but making up crap is not going to help you...You remind me of how the Right just makes stuff up to support their opinions...It is SAD!!

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #13)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:40 PM

14. It may have been SEEN as a huge win in the States

But for the rest of the world at the time, inconsequential. and most historians will tell you it was an embarrassment.

Maybe the first really good propaganda war. I could agree with that. All of the reasons for the war were over the year the war started.

England at the time was fighting the Napoleonic wars, so we were just a sideshow(A small, small sideshow). If they had really dropped the hammer on us, we wouldn't have been able to withstand it.

I guess you forgot about the burning of the capital, or the invasion of Canada, which led to the loss of american territory? Canada celebrated the war of 1812. Why didn't we?

Seriously, you're the one that sounds like a "right winger" puffing yourself up over a war. Kinda like the invasion of Grenada. "A great victory for the pride of United States!"

It was the beginning of the USA dominance in the world.

1812 wasn't even the high point of the British empire. That wouldn't be for 50+ more years.

Where were we while Britain was REALLY dominating the globe?

Ever hear the phase "the sun never sets on the ____ empire?" here's a hint, it wasn't us.

The start of our "dominance" in the world. Sounds like "right winger" points.

Reply to this post

Response to Confusious (Reply #14)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:36 AM

24. Good Job!!

You told me!!

Reply to this post

Response to PurpleEngineer (Reply #9)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:04 AM

22. actually without France we still be subjects of the queen....

this we kicked their ass stuff is childish bullshit. grow up.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:28 PM

10. And he picks his stats carefully too.

Like when he said there were only ....many killed with rifles....
Well duh... it you murder with a rifle it has to be premeditated....and then there is the problem of having to carry it into buildings and things...it kind of sticks out.
So most murders are done with handguns...

Reply to this post

Response to zeemike (Reply #10)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:11 PM

19. Cherry Picking is still cherry picking

I teach demography and criminology at the college level. The data this guy selects are indeed good data, but he is cherry picking just as much as the media he excoriates are cherry picking. The data are complex and the conclusions are not always comforting, but this piece is misleading. When we talk about gun violence in America we are not simply talking about mass murders in movie theaters and grade schools. We are talking about easy suicides, accidents, domestic violence, neighborhood violence and more. The suggestion that this happens only in "identifiable urban neighborhoods" is indefensible and probably has an odor of racism to it. If this video has gone viral it is not because it is accurate; it is because it is what a lot of people want to hear. Rock On NRA! You have a shill!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:33 PM

15. Lead Poisoning Linked to Violent Crime

Lead Poisoning Linked to Violent Crime

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:46 PM

16. Do we have stats on which types of guns hunters use to kill deer?

I'm hypothesizing that certain types of rifles kill a lot of deer (and other game animals), but hardly ever people. And certain types of guns kill people, but hardly ever kill deer. Does anybody have a breakdown of this by particular model of firearm? Like how many human beings have been killed by a .38 Special? And how many deer?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:10 PM

17. ahhhh, a right winger disguised as a macster...crying about carefully selected stats, who then

carefully selects his stats.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:31 AM

18. Where'd that unrec button go?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:12 PM

20. I'd bet money this guy is working for the NRA.

He joined Youtube a week after the Sandy Hook killings. He's got three slickly produced videos put up in the last week. He says he isn't part of any political organization(does that include lobbying groups?), but that he is a member of the ACLU and the NRA. And yes, he's cherry-picking statistical data to suit a pro-gun agenda, just like everyone else. The fact that he only discusses Great Britain and America is proof of this. Gun advocates only seem to want to talk about these two countries.

This looks like an attempt to rebrand the NRA agenda for libertarian-leaning hipster types of the sort enamored with Ron Paul.

Reply to this post

Response to Cowpunk (Reply #20)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:22 PM

21. Nonsense

If anything he looks to be like a true independent thinker, someone who doesnt check in with the party before formulating an opinion. Yes, he like his guns and his civil liberty, whats so wrong with that?

One more thing, he used a broader criminal category to analyze crime, not just the very narrow gun homicide rates gun grabbers like to use. And I use gun grabbers because this attempt will only lead to the banning of more guns especially when a ban on semi auto rifles fail to produce a reduction in gun violence. Military style rifles, then semi auto pistols, then shot guns until we are left with revolvers, cross bows and musket type rifles

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 07:48 AM

23. "Statistics lie".... "Here are some statistics"

I like how desperate the NRA folks are getting. Now they're aiming for the hipsters and nerds.

But the bullshit trick that he pulls is quite obvious - while both the US and UK have a category for "violent crimes", the criteria in both countries vary wildly. If the US would use UK metrics, this whole video would be moot. Then again, the whole video is moot exactly bacause of that.

Always concentrate on the substance. It is to be expected that the gun nuts will cloth themselves in "reasonable, pragmatic and reality-based" jargon after a massacre. They always do. It is their main talking point - claiming they possess reason, while granting their opponents only "emotions" and no "facts".

Then again. You might simply be convinced by the glasses and the sweater. Doesn't change the fact that among countries with comparable living standards, we are way fucking off the charts as far as violence is concerned (no matter that violent crimes are steadily decreasing - that actually just further reinforces the point)...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread