HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » OMG..."It’s literall...

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:08 PM

OMG..."It’s literally…it’s institutionalizing the blame of the victim.”

The David Pakman Show – ‘Rape-Provoking’ Miniskirts Now Against The Law In Swaziland (VIDEO)

According to police in Africa’s last absolute monarchy, Swaziland has banned ‘rape-provoking’ mini-skirts and low-rise jeans, which they blame for the country’s rape problem, rather than men deciding to rape women.

Somewhat incredulously, David reads from a report on the issues:

“If you break that law, offenders will face 6 months jail terms if they colonial criminal dating back to 1889. The act of the rapist is made easy because it would be easy to remove the half-cloth worn by the women. It’s literally…it’s institutionalizing the blame of the victim.”

He then discusses the situation with a guest named Daryl, who, along with David, elucidates other absurd examples of the “blame the victim” argument.

See video for the full discussion:

&feature=player_embedded

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/12/27/the-david-pakman-show-rape-provoking-miniskirts-now-against-the-law-in-swaziland-vide0/

25 replies, 4221 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply OMG..."It’s literally…it’s institutionalizing the blame of the victim.” (Original post)
sheshe2 Dec 2012 OP
dballance Dec 2012 #1
bluedigger Dec 2012 #3
Cleita Dec 2012 #5
ProfessionalLeftist Dec 2012 #14
immoderate Dec 2012 #2
Permanut Dec 2012 #4
CrispyQ Dec 2012 #6
meow2u3 Dec 2012 #7
sheshe2 Dec 2012 #12
ProfessionalLeftist Dec 2012 #15
geefloyd46 Dec 2012 #8
backscatter712 Dec 2012 #9
RC Dec 2012 #10
toby jo Dec 2012 #11
freshwest Dec 2012 #13
sheshe2 Dec 2012 #16
aint_no_life_nowhere Dec 2012 #17
ProfessionalLeftist Dec 2012 #18
sheshe2 Dec 2012 #19
oldbanjo Dec 2012 #20
sheshe2 Dec 2012 #21
LynneSin Dec 2012 #22
adieu Dec 2012 #23
WCLinolVir Dec 2012 #24
Shivering Jemmy Dec 2012 #25

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:14 PM

1. Well, this goes right along with the IA Dentist who has so little

self-control he had to fire an attractive worker who he'd had for 10 years.

Maybe we should outlaw idiot men who have no self-control.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dballance (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:22 PM

3. That hits a little close to home.

I've got the over/under for 1000 Views of the OP at 6PM.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:39 PM

5. Yep. I could go for that. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:21 PM

14. We should MAKE men responsible for their own behavior.

Legally. Socially. Financially. Our government needs to change. Women must be more fairly represented there. Laws need to change. Social attitudes need to change. Otherwise, women will remain relegated to reproductive slavery and denied any self-determination whatsoever.

Men are the only ones who control men's behavior. Women do not. I don't care what women wear or do not wear. Men use this pretentious excuse (ie: what women wear) to pawn responsibility for their own behavior off on women.

NOT. BUYING. IT. Women shouldn't buy it either.

This is why I wrote my recent blog entry: http://www.sevenbowie.com/2012/12/american-taliban-women-have-no-right-to-their-own-bodies-but-theyre-responsible-for-his/

(The site may be slow or down because the post has gotten 7000 hits in the past 24 hours!)

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:20 PM

2. We should outlaw money because it incites robberies!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:28 PM

4. Blaming the victim based on attire has happened many times in the US as well..

For example, in 1977, Dane County, Wisconsin Judge Archie Simonson made the following statement at the sentencing of one of three juveniles who were convicted of gang raping a teenaged girl at their high school:

"Whether women like it or not they are sex objects. Are we supposed to take an impressionable person 15 or 16 years of age and punish that person severely because they react to it normally?"

The girl was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved turtleneck. The sentence: a year of probation.

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/ASimSynd.HTM

K & R

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:40 PM

6. These men can't control themselves, yet they believe they are superior to women.

The disconnect is boggling.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:08 PM

7. These men WON'T control themselves BECAUSE they think they're superior to women!

Reply to this post

Response to meow2u3 (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:26 PM

12. That is the definition of Rape in a nutshell!

Superiority and Power!

Reply to this post

Response to meow2u3 (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:34 PM

15. They won't control themselves when they can control and blame women, instead. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:19 PM

8. unbelievable.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:43 PM

9. It's almost comforting to know that the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on right-wing dumbfuckery. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to backscatter712 (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:53 PM

10. Actually, no, it is not comforting. That means Right-Wing dumbfuclery is wide spread.

No pun intended, nor implied by me.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:20 PM

11. The penis police state

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:51 PM

13. The reasoning behind this couldn't be more obvious, here or abroad:

Last edited Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:46 PM - Edit history (1)

Humans are brute beasts who must follow their instinct to reproduce, like dogs and cats.

Centuries of education, any spiritually uplifting teachings about awareness, restraint, decency, boundaries, kindness and love mean nothing.

I see this coming from the dumbing down of humanity and the elimination of education and words to symbolism. Just react to a meme, no reflection or conscious thought is needed. We are being taught to react solely to stimulation like Pavlov's dogs. Many relish this.

Some claim a life on Earth is condemned to live trapped in insanity. We refuse to break loose of the lowest behaviors, continue to wallow in filth because it's interesting. Sounds like hell.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 05:40 PM

16. 1889! We as society are so Antiquated in our laws and our beliefs.

“If you break that law, offenders will face 6 months jail terms if they colonial criminal dating back to 1889."

The GOP today want to take is back to the 1950's. I however, feel that they want to regress us to the Prehistoric age!

Sounds like hell to me too!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:09 PM

17. Even if women run around stark naked, it's never an open invitation to touch

and certainly not rape. Look all you want but you need consent to touch, everywhere, every time. Laws enforcing veils or prohibiting revealing attire because men apparently can't control themselves are based on the false premise that men can't control their crotch and it's not their fault, because they are weak-willed animals. What if the woman's ankle turns men on like they apparently did in the 19th century? Do women then have to wear burkas in public.

I can understand certain restrictions on what people wear in gaining entry to private property in certain settings like church property. I remember a big sign at the entrance to the spectacular Byzantine style Basilica of Notre Dame de la Garde overlooking the harbor in Marseille, France, prohibiting entry to anyone wearing shorts or bikinis. Apparently, female tourists were coming up from the beach to visit it, barely wearing anything. But skimpy clothes can never be even a remote justification for one of the worst crimes in society, rape.

Reply to this post

Response to aint_no_life_nowhere (Reply #17)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:11 PM

18. EXACTLY. It doesn't matter what women wear or not. Men should always be held

fully responsible and solely responsible for their own behavior. Period. That society and the legal system here or anywhere allows men to use pretentious excuses about what women wear (or not) to pawn responsibility for their behavior off onto someone else - worse - the victim of their behavior, is totally Taliban. It's unconscionable, immoral.

Women have absolutely NO control over men's behavior. Women are not responsible and should not be held responsible, particularly when male behavior is violent.

Women in abusive relationships also have the delusion that they are somehow to blame or have some control over the abusive partner's behavior. But they don't. The partner would be abusive no matter what the woman does or does not do. The responsibility for the abusive behavior and the control over it belongs solely to the abuser. Period. Nothing she does or does not do will change it (unless she manages to safely leave him and keep him away from her). What will change it is when laws and society make men fully responsible for their behavior and stop allowing them to blame women for it because 'what she wore', or for any other reason. It's a worldwide human rights issue. It's gotta change.

Reply to this post

Response to aint_no_life_nowhere (Reply #17)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:29 PM

19. Thank you for the post! So true.

The pictures of the Cathedral are stunning!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:30 PM

20. I think the entrances of all stores should have big mirrors

so women can see how bad they look in some of the cloths they wear in public.

Reply to this post

Response to oldbanjo (Reply #20)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:45 PM

21. Excuse me?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:57 PM

22. Ironically the Swaziland princess is a Nikki Minja wannabe

I remember there was a list of the top 25 hottest royals from around the globe and she clocked in around #25. From what I've ready she's a pretty smart kid but some of the outfits they showed her wearing would pretty much put her on the wrong side of this new law.

And to be fair - she's pretty much doing what any kid her age is doing - having fun.

If anything her father, the king, is a real douchebag. He's paid a pretty big salary and spends pretty lavishly. Plus he practices polygamy and has like 13 wives, a practice in which the above said daughter has denounced.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 09:27 PM

23. I just don't get the mentality of a rapist

Sure, when I look at a woman wearing barely nothing, I get sexually aroused. That, certainly, is expected. Women do wear clothing to arouse men (and infuriate other women). But men also wear clothing to arouse women.

At the same time, how does that translate to actual rape behavior? What I mean, specifically, how does the act of rape, of controlling and hurting a woman, have any arousal aspect for men? Causing mayhem, death, or pain doesn't give men hard-ons, so far as I know. If it were, wars would last all of 30 seconds before guys quite, lie down, have a smoke and then take a nap.

There may be some desire through the control and infliction of pain, but I think that runs counter to the desire through arousal. That is, the two stimuli might (or should) negate each other.

If I want to have sex with a woman, I want that woman wanting to have sex with me. I want that woman to be pulling me in. If she's screaming, "Help! Help! Get off me!" I won't be getting much of a boner.

So bottom line, it seems, is the clothing doesn't incite rape. It's just an excuse to commit the rape. Such rapists are hoping at the end, I guess, that the woman enjoyed it as well.

Reply to this post

Response to adieu (Reply #23)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:05 AM

24. Oh Boy-Rapists could not give a shit whether or not the victim is

"enjoying it". Where do you guys get these ideas!!?? Seriously?? If I threatened your life do you really think I would care whether or not you were liking it?? Stop trying to normalize crazy-can't be done. Stop trying to understand rationally what is sick and twisted. I know there are rapists who say that "she liked it", but it is part of their crazy. Just like child molesters.

Reply to this post

Response to WCLinolVir (Reply #24)

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:07 AM

25. Who's trying to normalize crazy?

Certainly not the poster you are replying to.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread