HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Bruce Springsteen, Darkne...

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:59 PM

Bruce Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town. The Promise the making of record

Is there any doubt that this is the album that made Springsteen into what he became. It is incredible the hard work and perseverance that went into this album. I just watched this again last night when I stumbled across this on youtube. I hope you enjoy it. This is the start of the working class hero.

For some reason part one will not come in. All three are on my website: http://laborspains.blogspot.com/2012/12/bruce-springsteen-darkness-on-edge-of.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=psPbzqZE-DE&feature=endscreen

5 replies, 1569 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bruce Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town. The Promise the making of record (Original post)
geefloyd46 Dec 2012 OP
abq e streeter Dec 2012 #1
geefloyd46 Dec 2012 #5
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Dec 2012 #2
rocktivity Dec 2012 #3
geefloyd46 Dec 2012 #4

Response to geefloyd46 (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:52 PM

1. Rec # 2 from your friendly neighborhood E Streeter

Have seen this; outstanding if you're a Springsteen fan.If not, good, just makes it easier for the rest of us to be able to get tickets to what is STILL the rockinest band in the known universe. Saw Bruce a month ago; he's 63 and had the energy of a 25 yr old (bet he felt it plenty the next day)...I think Born To Run was the one where he really started laying out the characters and themes he'd follow, but also, Darkness was where those characters started growing up and facing some cold realities, so in that sense, Darkness was the template for everything that came after. BTW, in his keynote speech at SXSW last March, he talked about The Animals, and picked up his acoustic and sang We Gotta Get Out of This Place, and then said " that's every song I ever wrote...and I'm not kidding".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to abq e streeter (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:17 AM

5. This seemed a more complete thematic unit than anything he'd done earlier...

though certainly there were traces of this in Born to Run.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:25 PM

2. I can think of four songs off that were intended for this album but were done by others

"Fire" by the Pointer Sisters, "Because the Night" by Patti Smith, "Talk to Me" and "Hearts of Stone" by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:20 AM

3. Part one

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Response to rocktivity (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:16 AM

4. thanks for whatever reason that wasn't coming through

Reply to this post