HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » NASA Released Mayan Apoca...

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:49 AM

NASA Released Mayan Apocalypse Video TEN DAYS Early

8 replies, 1359 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to unhappycamper (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:08 AM

1. Even addressing the issue in this matter gives way too much credibility to it.

This video makes it seem that it's something that was worth the attention of NASA scientists. Even if the Mayans had explicitly predicted the end of the world it would still be silly to give it any credibility.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to drm604 (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 AM

3. I read yesterday that scientists are receiving lots of panicky emails

about all this, some even suggesting the correspondent is considering suicide. I think the article said a lot of kids are also upset about the Mayan mumbo jumbo, according to teachers.

I think these scientists probably feel some obligation to do what they can to reassure the public that nothing is going to happen.

On edit, I think it's ironic that so few people seem to be alarmed about global climate change, a point this article from The Onion makes:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-who-will-die-in-great-eastern-seaboard-flood-o,30726/

Reply to this post

Response to deutsey (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:08 AM

5. Leave it to The Onion to point out absurdity!

They are great at using humor to point out truth.

Reply to this post

Response to deutsey (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:19 AM

2. Well, duh, nobody will be around to watch it after the 22nd

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:20 AM

6. I must hurry

and complete my shopping!

Reply to this post

Response to They_Live (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:22 PM

8. I live in Washington the State. I need to find some weed. nm

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:54 AM

4. The Maya were using the galactic alignment to measure a full precessional wobble of 26,000 years.

What is the Galactic Alignment by John Major Jenkins
http://alignment2012.com/whatisga.htm

The Galactic Alignment is the alignment of the December solstice sun with the Galactic equator. This alignment occurs as a result of the precession of the equinoxes.

Precession is caused by the earth wobbling very slowly on its axis and shifts the position of the equinoxes and solstices one degree every 71.5 years. Because the sun is one-half of a degree wide, it will take the December solstice sun 36 years to precess through the Galactic equator.

This Galactic Alignment occurs only once every 26,000 years, and was what the ancient Maya were pointing to with the 2012 end-date of their Long Count calendar.

The Precession of the equinoxes: The earth wobbles very slowly on its axis and this causes the position of the equinox to shift backwards, or precess, through the signs of the ecliptic at the rate of one degree every 71.5 years. The full precessional wobble is complete in roughly 25,800 years.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread