HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Gangnam Style Singer Psy'...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:27 PM

Gangnam Style Singer Psy's 'Anti American' Controversy

"On Friday, PSY the mega-star singer of "Gangnam Style" got into some trouble when it was unearthed that nearly a decade ago, he participated in several South Korean protest concerts against the United States military. In one particular instance, he rapped about "slowly and painfully" killing U.S. military members and their families.

Eventually, the musician issued a heartfelt apology, expressing great regret at using such harsh words in reaction to political events that had spurned anti-American vitriol at the time in his native Korea.

One of his protest performances, in reaction to American soldiers getting away with running over two Korean school-girls with a tank, reportedly included him rapping anti-American lyrics and smashing a miniature model of a U.S. tank on the stage."*

'Gangnam Style' singer Psy is under fire from Fox News for being anti-American in a video from years ago that recently surfaced. Should he be judged harshly for the anger he was feeling for the deaths of two South-Korean girls? Should he be assumed anti-American? Ana Kasparian and John Iadarola (Host, TYT University) discuss the issue.

*Read more from Andrew Kirell/ Mediaite: http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-video-of-psys-anti-american-military-performance-that-got-him-in-trouble/

Do any of those criticizing him bothered to research the context in which he was motivated to say such things?

If two foreign military personnel negligently murdered two peaceful teenagers on our soil and were acquitted wouldn't that incite mass outrage?

Furthermore, wouldn't people also be outraged if their military was being used in an unlawful war by another foreign power?

I must admit that his comments encouraging people to murder US military personnel and their families is completely unacceptable but what he said NEEDS to be viewed in context because it's not as black and white as some people believe it is.

If anything, his past comments should serve as a wake-up call on how non-Americans view US foreign policy.

8 replies, 1521 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gangnam Style Singer Psy's 'Anti American' Controversy (Original post)
rachel1 Dec 2012 OP
msongs Dec 2012 #1
rachel1 Dec 2012 #2
graham4anything Dec 2012 #3
Kalidurga Dec 2012 #4
rachel1 Dec 2012 #5
marble falls Dec 2012 #6
ScottLand Dec 2012 #7
icarusxat Dec 2012 #8

Response to rachel1 (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:29 PM

1. it's all a PR scam to promote himself. what is he peddling for $$? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:31 PM

2. I personally doubt it is

His "controversial" comments were made 8 to 10 years ago when two teenage South Korean girls were murdered by US personnel and when a Korean Christian was beheaded in Iraq, respectively.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:35 PM

3. He is just the 3rd foreign language single to reach #1 on the charts

Japan's Kyu Sakamoto hit #1 with Sukiyaki (though the song had nothing to do with food and the word was just put in the title figuring Americans heard of that word

France's Sister Soeur (the Singing Nun) hit #1 with "Dominique"

Who cares what remarks he makes?
Are we trying to Dixie Chick him?

freedom of speech and all that?

as Dick Clark used to say, it has a beat and I give it a 10.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:36 PM

4. He is South Korean no?

If he is indeed South Korean why does he have to kow tow to supporting our military even as they negligently kill people in his country? I don't advocate what he says or think his lyrics are prudent. But, he is under no obligation to say nice things about our military and he was expressing justifiable outrage even if the way he did it was inappropriate.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:51 PM

5. I think his apology is more of a public-relations move

Now that he's famous it might be best for him to try to mitigate the damage that his past comments could cause to his reputation in the US, for some folks.

Aside from his advocation of murdering US military personnel and their kin, I think most of what he said 8-to-10 years ago is quite rational.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 07:53 PM

6. He's kind of an Asian/disco Max Headroom.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 PM

7. Fox News is the guardian against Anti-Americanism?

How do they qualify that when they have Ted Nugent on their network singing about what he wants to do to Obama and Hillary?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:58 PM

8. No matter how many times I listen to the Psy video...

It still sound like he is singing "Open condom style" and not Gangham style...
Say anything to get famous? Get angry? Sure. Read "Mein Kampf" and judge it the same way TYT suggests and the hate remains in both cases. If you bring your anger to the world stage you own it. A bit of a pass because he has grown?

"Never let other peoples' thinking replace your own" Richard Bach

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread