HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Reagan: "Social Secu...

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:00 PM

Reagan: "Social Security has nothing to do with the Deficit, or balancing a budget..."

So, why are both Republicans AND (for some reason) Democrats STILL talking about this?

If you want to talk about Social Security, how about using that good old Republican line "LOWER THE RATES AND BROADEN THE BASE" and REMOVE the $106K payroll tax cap, so that multi-millionaires pay more into the Trust Fund, and then lower everyone's RATES to 2 or 3%? Or does 'broaden the base' only refer to POOR PEOPLE paying more taxes???

27 replies, 2856 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Reagan: "Social Security has nothing to do with the Deficit, or balancing a budget..." (Original post)
TrollBuster9090 Dec 2012 OP
fascisthunter Dec 2012 #1
AAO Dec 2012 #2
Bainbridge Bear Dec 2012 #3
Why Syzygy Dec 2012 #13
Faygo Kid Dec 2012 #22
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #4
Angry Dragon Dec 2012 #5
MrMickeysMom Dec 2012 #6
sasha031 Dec 2012 #7
liberal N proud Dec 2012 #8
mostlyconfused Dec 2012 #9
Why Syzygy Dec 2012 #12
livingonearth Dec 2012 #16
Hassin Bin Sober Dec 2012 #23
Phlem Dec 2012 #10
Why Syzygy Dec 2012 #11
grahamhgreen Dec 2012 #14
PoliticAverse Dec 2012 #15
livingonearth Dec 2012 #17
grahamhgreen Dec 2012 #26
Why Syzygy Dec 2012 #24
bonniebgood Dec 2012 #18
obama2terms Dec 2012 #20
fascisthunter Dec 2012 #21
NoMoreWarNow Dec 2012 #25
obama2terms Dec 2012 #19
snappyturtle Dec 2012 #27

Response to TrollBuster9090 (Original post)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:04 PM

1. tell that to Blue Dogs... and I thought Reagan was their hero

weird times we live in.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:13 PM

2. Teabaggers? Comments? ........................................................ Ididn't think so.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:27 PM

3. Interesting

how assholes like Alan Simpson conveniently forget these words from Saint Ronnie. Instead, he tries to obfuscate the issue and has the gall to refer to Social Security recipients like me as "parasites". Oh, yeah, Simpson? Well a big FU right back!

Reply to this post

Response to Bainbridge Bear (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 02:13 AM

13. Alan Simpson?

When/where did he say that? Please show me!

Reply to this post

Response to Why Syzygy (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 11:49 AM

22. Not sure he used that exact term, but the asswipe sure as hell meant it.

Plenty to back that up; here's one: http://www.laprogressive.com/anti-government-outrage/#sthash.a0Oxx0FJ.dpbs

Multimillionaire Alan Simpson is one of the worst tools in the USA right now.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:55 PM

4. Never EVER thought I'd see the day I'd thank that total piece of shit

but there it is. Just goes to show how much worse are today's crop of total pieces of shit. Do not negotiate with terrorists, foreign or domestic!

Thanks for digging this up.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 09:20 PM

5. and cheney said deficits don't matter

so what does that leave the republicans except all they want is the rich to pay less

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 09:31 PM

6. Oh, no... they want more than THAT!

They also like war a lot - a monetary lubricant, and population controller!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:30 PM

7. I've been looking for this clip thanks for posting

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:07 PM

8. Send this to all of Congress

Send it twice to each Republican.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 12:41 AM

9. That was 1984

When Reagan made that speech the annual social security taxes collected were exceeding the amount of outlays, and any excess tax collected was going into the trust fund. I take that to mean is was self contained, and not impacting the federal budget.

Today the outlays significantly exceed the tax revenues, and according to the 2011 Social Security trustees report the program was funded that year (or maybe it was 2010) from...

> "$564 billion in net contributions, $24 billion from taxation of benefits, $114 billion in interest, and $103 billion in reimbursements from the General Fund of the Treasury"

That suggests that it does impact the budget today, where it perhaps didn't in 1984. As much fun as it is to throw Reagan back into their faces, I'm not sure how relevant this clip is to today's debate.

Reply to this post

Response to mostlyconfused (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 02:12 AM

12. It doesn't...

Money from the SS fund was BORROWED. The only impact on the budget would be to repay that debt.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:40 AM

16. The fund needs paid back from all the borrowing!

A large portion of the population called the "Boomers" has been paying into Social Security for years. Social Security should be at its most solvent at this point in history because the "Boomers" out numbered their parents which should have left a surplus. However, because of borrowing it is not as strong as it should be. This is why deficits matter. The national debt is owed to "We The People".

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 12:06 PM

23. Yes, you are mostly confused.

That is money being repaid to the trust fund.

There is a $2.9 trillion dollar nest egg held in US treasury. Where do you think that $114 billion in interest comes from?

That nest egg was built up in anticipation of the boomers now retiring. Yes, we are paying out more than taxes collected - but that was planned for.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 01:18 AM

10. AAARRRGHHH!

The sun burns!.... It burns!!??!!??!!??.

-p

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 02:11 AM

11. zowie.. says it all . nt/shared

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 02:14 AM

14. Why can't Obama say this? Over and over and over and over?

Reply to this post

Response to grahamhgreen (Reply #14)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 05:13 AM

15. Because he championed the payroll tax cut that made SS part of the budget deficit. n//t

Reply to this post

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:43 AM

17. That payroll tax cut made me mad.

Let it expire!

Reply to this post

Response to livingonearth (Reply #17)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 11:04 PM

26. +1

Reply to this post

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 01:19 PM

24. The borrowing started

under Bill Clinton, if not before (I've heard Carter was first). It was NOT the payroll tax cut, although that was a really stupid thing to do.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/ARTICLE2/budget.php
GREENSPAN: I will wait to see what the numbers look like.

HOLLINGS: Well, the truth is...ah, shoot, well, we all know there's Washington's math problem. Alan Sloan in this past week's Newsweek says he spends 150%. What we've been doing, Mr. Chairman, in all reality, is taken a hundred billion out of the Social Security Trust Fund, transferring it over to the spending column, and spending it. Our friends to the left here are getting their tax cuts, we getting our spending increases, and hollering surplus, surplus, and balanced budget, and balanced budget plans when we continue to spend a hundred billion more than we take in.

That's the reality, and I think that you and I, working the same side of the street now, can have a little bit of success by bringing to everybody's attention this is all intended surplus. In other words, when we passed the Greenspan Commission Report, the Greenspan Commission Report only had Social Security in 1983 a two hundred million surplus. It's projected to have this year a 117 million surplus. I've got the schedule, I'll ask to put in the record the CBO report: 117, 126, 130, 100, going right through to 2008 over the ten year period of 186 billion surplus. That was intended; this is dramatic about all these retirees, the baby boomers. But we foresaw that baby boomer problem, we planned against that baby boomer problem. Our problem is we've been spending that particular reserve, that set-aside that you testify to that is so necessary. That's what I'm trying to get this government back to reality, if we can do that.

We owe Social Security 736 billion right this minute. If we saved 117 billion, we could pay that debt down, and have the wonderful effect on the capital markets and savings rate. Isn't that correct? Thank you very much, Sir. Thank you, Mr. Chairman.
(...)

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/beat-the-press/social-security-is-contributing-to-the-budget-deficit-in-the-same-way-as-peter-peterson

And there are good arguments as to why deferring major decisions might be desirable. For example, thanks to the efforts of the Peterson types and the overall poor state of media reporting on the issue, polls consistently show that the vast majority of young people believe that they will not see their Social Security checks when they retire. This is a completely false belief according to all current projections, howver it is likely to color their attitudes towards changes in the program. It would be desirable to have any major reworking of the program carried through in an environment in which the public was better informed about the true state of the program's finances.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:50 AM

18. Our President IS a Regan Democrat but cannot repeat these

words, which shows you just how far the left has moved right. Cant remember where I saw this last week , but Chirs Van Hollen was on a panel with CNBC news lady, and she said: SS and Medicare are our biggest driver of or deficit". (D) did not say a word. Which shows again that today Dems are to the right of Regan.

We need a 3rd Party Period. Move the age for SS and I Move from ever voting Dem again. It looks as if when Dems win-we lose.

The next two-weeks will show just how much Obama is to the right of Regan.

Reply to this post

Response to bonniebgood (Reply #18)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 09:20 AM

20. Umm

Actually Obama is anything BUT a Reagan democrat. Might I remind you that Reagan was vehemently against health care reform which is arguably Obama's biggest accomplishment of his first term. Obama doesn't believe that SS drives our deficit in fact he said " SS is off the table." When it comes to fiscal cliff negotiations. With the ACA, medicare solvency was increased, free preventive services, lower prescription drug costs, as well as lower monthly premiums. Have read/watched anything Obama has said about medicare and SS? You should because you seem to know nothing about Obama's position on them!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 11:13 AM

21. yes, yes it will

too many are in denial though.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:17 PM

25. who is "Regan"?

First time I figured could be a typo, but you used it twice.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 09:07 AM

19. Hmmm

Last week I was talking to a republican friend of mine, and he was saying how Reagan was the best president in his lifetime and how we should cut social security because it adds to the deficit, and the usual maker taker bs republicans spew, and how Ronald Reagan would have done it. Then, I googled a speech Reagan made about social security. Here's some highlights: --"First, this nation must preserve the integrity of the Social Security trust fund and the basic benefit structure that protects older Americans."

--"Second, we must hold down the tax burden on the workers who support Social Security."

--"Finally, we must eliminate all abuses in the system that can rob the elderly of their rightful legacy."
Needless to say he was silent, he couldn't claim liberal bias or anything like that, because after all these are Reagan's own words at a time when we thought SS was going broke. Haha it was PRICELESS!

Reply to this post

Response to obama2terms (Reply #19)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:06 AM

27. Kudos...good going! Welcome to Du. Glad you're here.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread