HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » TYT: National Defense Aut...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 03:07 PM

TYT: National Defense Authorization Act Disaster

A provision in the National Defense Authorization Act (which passed unanimously in the Senate) allows the military to detain terrorism suspects, including American citizens, indefinitely with no real trial. Cenk Uygur breaks down this and other attacks on the Constitution on The Young Turks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/13/national-defense-authorization-act-ndaa-obama-detainee-policy_n_1145407.html

Subscribe to The Young Turks on YouTube: http://bit.ly/eWuu5i

PS---Check out Cenk and The Young Turks on Current TV M-F at 7pm/10pm Eastern (aka 4pm/7pm Pacific): http://current.com/shows/the-young-turks/

9 replies, 5594 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply TYT: National Defense Authorization Act Disaster (Original post)
ihavenobias Dec 2011 OP
ScottLand Dec 2011 #1
sabrina 1 Dec 2011 #4
truedelphi Dec 2011 #8
Jakes Progress Dec 2011 #5
ScottLand Dec 2011 #7
libodem Dec 2011 #2
libodem Dec 2011 #3
krucial Dec 2011 #6
ooglymoogly Dec 2011 #9

Response to ihavenobias (Original post)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:54 PM

1. This is downright freaking scary. I'm not even sure how to process this.

I've always said that 911 didn't really teach us anything about Muslims, but it taught us a lot about ourselves. The word here is acquiescence. The American people are fine to let this happen because they buy into the bullshit that it means we are safer. Why should we feel better about the American government taking away our rights than we would about a foreign entity doing the same thing?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ScottLand (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 01:35 AM

4. I know what you mean. There are no words to describe adequately what a horror this is.

I just watched the Amy Goodman video and she asked 'who is behind this'?? Who is pushing something that the Military doesn't want nor any of our National Security Leaders want?? Someone more powerful than Congress, the Military, the POTUS and all of our National Security Leaders?? If all those people oppose it, then why are we even talking about it anymore?

I would very much like to know who came up with this. But one thing is for sure, Congress is nothing but a bought and paid for branch of the Corporate State. They sure are not working in the best interests of this country.

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:40 PM

8. Goodman's question happens to be a very wise one, doesn't it...

Why do we have the scanner devices at the airports - the only person that they are protecting is Chernoff. Who has made a bundle on selling them.

If you want to bring down a plane, you use plastique. Don't need anything made of metal to bring down an airlines.

Reply to this post

Response to ScottLand (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:37 PM

5. How about when sites like DU

are required to hand over their files showing the names of the posters on their site. Just think how that information could be used by the next republican president. Hell. I'm not that comfortable with that stuff going to the current administration.

Reply to this post

Response to Jakes Progress (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:33 PM

7. Exactly. When anyone who differs with an administration is considered the enemy, how hard would it

be for that person to make the jump into "enemy combatant"? And the fat, dumb, happy public would be satisfied with being told that you were one of the "worst of the worst"; they wouldn't need to know anything else about you.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:30 AM

2. Crumb

My phone doesn't support Adobe flash. Hey Tom, how's it going, buddy.

Reply to this post

Response to libodem (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:40 AM

3. Zoomed over and watched it on Current

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:24 PM

6. Facism

America has been going fascist,since 2000,and as we see pur privacy rights,freedom and our constitution slowy eroded,with the blessing of the Govt. by many on the Conservative right ,who advocate and thinks it ok to surrender just about all our privacy,rights and Freedoms,in defense of,and to reserve our rights Privacy,and freedoms.
I am trying to figure out what kind of sense that makes

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:34 PM

9. All hail the new dictator of the world.

The next shoe to drop will be, who is controlling the president and congress. And will it be members of the 1% who's sole allegiance and citizenship is to the US of A.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread