HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » From Real News: New York ...

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:27 AM

From Real News: New York Fast Food Workers in Historic Strike for $15 an Hour

I told my wife about five years ago that these years ahead would be big union years, like the thirties were, and they were going to be for one reason: they had to be. While the fight has come up in several places and not always where you expect it.

&feature=em-subs_digest&list=TLpHmHBtzNuHE

2 replies, 668 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply From Real News: New York Fast Food Workers in Historic Strike for $15 an Hour (Original post)
geefloyd46 Dec 2012 OP
Quantess Dec 2012 #1
fasttense Dec 2012 #2

Response to geefloyd46 (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:08 AM

1. K & R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to geefloyd46 (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:22 AM

2. I've always wondered why service jobs paid so little.

And yet the corporation that run these establishments make huge profits.

Sales clerks, hotel workers, waiters and waitresses, fast food workers, movie theater attendants, and gas station and convenient stores attendants/clerks all make minimum wage. But why? These corporations can NOT make a profit without these workers. They can't leave these positions vacant and expect to make money. Yes, a lot of people can do these jobs but they are essential jobs. Why should We The People pay for these workers' health insurance, food stamps and other public assistance programs when all that needs to be done is pay these people a living wage.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread