HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » KILLER ROBOTS: The Scarie...

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:22 PM

KILLER ROBOTS: The Scariest Weapons You Have Never Heard Of

Automated killer robots — robots that can kill without human intervention — are not far off, and could change the very definition of war. They should be banned immediately, says Human Rights Watch.

Originally found on HumanRightsWatch’s YouTube Channel/MoveOn.org

6 replies, 1036 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply KILLER ROBOTS: The Scariest Weapons You Have Never Heard Of (Original post)
Playinghardball Nov 2012 OP
zeemike Nov 2012 #1
spin Nov 2012 #2
AtheistCrusader Nov 2012 #3
Bainbridge Bear Nov 2012 #4
dembotoz Nov 2012 #5
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #6

Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:39 PM

1. Oh yes I have heard about it.

Read it in a science fiction story long ago....so long I don't even remember the title.
But it took it to new heights....they made a robot factory that made the killer robots, and the factory constantly had feedback and constantly improved on them....I think the story title was something like Model 29 or something like that.
I really never thought I would live long enough to see it, but here it is and here I am.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to zeemike (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:51 PM

2. It's amazing how science fiction often predicts future technology. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:50 PM

3. I would say 'inspires' rather than 'predicts'.

For every horror/sci-fi movie with a murderous robot gone awry or whatever, there's someone watching it thinking 'hey, we could build something like that'.

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:47 PM

4. It looks like we have just moved another

step closer to a "Terminator" kind of future. This is not that much of a leap from the current and expanding (including domestic surveillance) drone technology that is responsible for thousands of deaths overseas, many of which are innocent civilians. This is all part of the military's stated aim at what they refer to as "Full Spectrum Dominance" and it is chilling to see how far this has already come. Remember, also, that the military tries to euphemize the brutal killing of innocents by referring to them as "collateral damage". This is just another way that our "wars" are made even more brutal and inhuman, though they are certainly profitable for a small number of manufacturers.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:55 PM

5. fleeing from the cylon tyrany.....

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:27 PM

6. Nice try, but they're already out there. The terminators exist.

It won't be long before they become sentient. We're creating the very demise of our planet. Number 5 is alive. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but that's where we are heading. It's the logical conclusion to our self-serving existence. We won't survive this. Robots are already close to sentient. I give it three years, tops. They'll even be able to manufacture their own replacement parts - they already create them.

Humans are on a self-destruct path. That's nothing new. We've always been self-destructive. But we've unleashed a beast we can't fight. Nobody can stop the Internet. Nobody can stop a team of robots. Asimov would scream if he knew about what's going on now. The three laws have been violated in a major way.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread