HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Anti-Gay Bryan Fischer Ca...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:15 PM

Anti-Gay Bryan Fischer Can't Answer When He Chose to be Straight

Great interview, worth watching the whole thing

From: www.davidpakman.com / www.davidpakman.com/membership

7 replies, 1346 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anti-Gay Bryan Fischer Can't Answer When He Chose to be Straight (Original post)
celtics23 Nov 2012 OP
LeftofObama Nov 2012 #1
thucythucy Nov 2012 #2
Enrique Nov 2012 #3
yonder Nov 2012 #4
Smilo Nov 2012 #5
Up2Late Nov 2012 #6
WhoIsNumberNone Nov 2012 #7

Response to celtics23 (Original post)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:36 PM

1. K& R n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:38 PM

2. This question cuts right to the heart of the absurdity of the whole "being gay is a choice"

argument. You can't "choose" to be gay or straight unless you have both gay and straight sexual urges. So, a straight man arguing that sexual identity is a choice HAS to be able to point to the moment when he "chose" to be straight, meaning he has to admit to also having same sex attractions. But they don't, they won't, they can't. Being straight is no more a choice for them than being gay is for my gay friends.

Now there are self-hating gay people who spend their whole lives, sadly, denying who they really are, which tends to end in the sort of "wide stance" or Ted Haggard style meltdown we see so often on the gay bashing right. But the fact that folks like Haggard, who have their whole lives invested in denouncing "the gay lifestyle" can't forever avoid who they are just demonstrates that sexual orientation is in-born, hard-wired, like being left handed or having green eyes. You can try to train yourself to be right handed (and the Church used to force people who were lefties to change, since being left-handed was once considered evil), you can cover your eyes with contacts, but eventually your inner heart and being will assert itself.

How sad, how deeply tragic, all the lives that have been ruined by homophobia.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:41 PM

3. laughing at the "never give up" part

David's a pretty smart interviewer.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM

4. I'm just glad

he made the choice to move from Idaho several years ago. I don't know if he had some skeletons in the closet rattling about or not, just happy he left. He can now muck around in Ohio or Iowa, or where ever he got himself off to.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 04:56 PM

5. Why is it that those that belong to groups called "family" something or other

are the biggest douchebags going?

They spread hate and fear everywhere and are so far removed from the Christ they use as an excuse to beat up anyone they don't believe should exist.

Great job David - I wish you well in your endeavor with this insecure little worm.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:25 PM

6. I just don't understand why these guys can't just admit that they are Bi-sexual.

I mean, if a guy ever had to chose or believes that being gay is a choice....he's probably gay, or at least bi-sexual.

My best friend of 32 years, who died in 2006, was bi-sexual and he probably leaned more to the gay side of the scale, but he definitely told me about more hetero-sex that he had over the years than I will ever have.

I believe sexual preference falls on a scale, say zero to ten, with five being bi-sexual, being equally attracted to men as to women, with zero being 100% hetero and 10 being 100% gay >>>|0-1-2-3-4-|5|-6-7-8-9-10|<<<

Now, I don't know about any of you, and I don't really care how gay or straight you are, but I'm definitely a zero or 100% hetero. I never chose that and I don't think anyone who is in the 8 to 10 range ever chose their sexual preference for the same sex ever did either.

I will say that my late-best friend did seem to have a lot more fun, sexually, than I ever did, but being about a 6 or 7, he could. I some times wish I were gay, because that would make it so much easier for me to explain why I'm 49 and still never married and it would make rehabbing my old house a lot easier, but being gay is just not what I am, being straight is not a choice and neither is being gay.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 PM

7. The Regnerus study?

So the University of Texas signed off on it? As in the State of Texas?

This would be the same Texas which re-wrote history and science to better conform with the Bible and Republican ideology?

Bottom line: People with agendas can't be trusted to conduct truly empirical studies. This goes double for right wingers.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread