HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » The Veterans parade train...

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:43 PM

The Veterans parade train wreck - this is sad and astounding at the same time

7 replies, 1770 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Veterans parade train wreck - this is sad and astounding at the same time (Original post)
underpants Nov 2012 OP
TheCowsCameHome Nov 2012 #1
Drunken Irishman Nov 2012 #2
TheCowsCameHome Nov 2012 #3
Drunken Irishman Nov 2012 #5
TheMadMonk Nov 2012 #6
alp227 Nov 2012 #4
ReRe Nov 2012 #7

Response to underpants (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:58 PM

1. I don't understand what happened here.

The animation depicts the train broadsiding the trailer, yet the footage shows the tractor and semi-trailer pretty much intact. It would appear the trailer was barely clipped by the train.

The NTSB report, when completed, will be very detailed. They never miss.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:09 PM

2. And why does the animation show the train crossing the road right as the crossing arm comes down?

That's not how it works ... or shouldn't work. The crossing arm certainly would be in place before the train begins crossing over the road, no? It doesn't happen simultaneously.

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:19 PM

3. No, the gates and lights are circuited

to be activated long before the actual occupation of the crossing by a train. The length of the circuit is determined by the authorized track speed for trains in the given area. They gates must by law be down for a considerable length of time in advance of the train, probably at least 30 seconds or so, IIRC.

My point was - the folks riding the trailer must have been injured or killed by being thrown from the trailer's deck when it was clipped and spun around, rather than actual contact with the train, as depicted in the antimation.

Whatever, it was an awful tragedy.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:34 PM

5. Well...

My question comes from the fact that the gate would've been down well before the train hit. If it was, how did the truck manage to get past it to the point where the trailer was actually hit by the train? The video makes it seem as if the gate came down at the time the train rolled over the road - which doesn't sound possible.

So, what exactly happened? What part of the trailer was hit? The animation is just bad and doesn't answer any questions.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 06:35 PM

6. Truck driver entered the crossing before was room to exit.

Probably trying to keep together with the rest of the parade.

Apart from the total idiots who believe they and their ton and a bit alway has right of way over the several hundred tons hurtling down the tracks, the most common way to have a level crossing accident is to get trapped entering a crossing when there is no room to leave it on the other side.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:20 PM

4. HD quality video from CBS News youtube channel

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:27 AM

7. A horrible accident that should never have had the CHANCE to happen

K&R

Yes, the driver of the semi should be held responsible. That was PRECIOUS cargo. My heart grieves for those families and that community.

However, I think the city of Midland should be held partially responsible as well. That train should never have been traveling down that track while this parade was going on. I know this first hand. I was chairman of a historical festival in a small midwest town recently, which included a railroad that ran through the middle of town. The parade route passed over those tracks. We were required by Homeland Security to contact the railroad and have them halt any travel down that track for several hours on that day for safety. We did, and it was done. No trains for the agreed period of time. We made sure, in advance, that what happened in Midland would never have a chance to happen at our local community celebration. I hope the town had adequate insurance, because they are going to get smacked with an avalanche of suits very soon, coming from all directions.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread