HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Obama climate change and ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:17 PM

Obama climate change and energy policy still sucks

The American people are ready for leadership on the climate issue.

meanwhile...

Obama signals he's putting climate change on back burner

The fact that climate change got some attention at Wednesday’s presidential press conference could be viewed as progress by environmentalists, after they watched the issue go virtually ignored during the just-concluded campaign.

President Obama made many of the right sounds for activists on the issue. In response to a question from the New York Times’s Mark Landler, Obama said America must “make sure that this is not something we're passing on to future generations, that's going to be very expensive and very painful to deal with.”

But the president also signaled that reducing carbon emissions comes nowhere near the top of his agenda, at least as he looks forward to the start of his second term.

Obama repeatedly hammered away during the 50-minute session on the impending “fiscal cliff” and his support of tax increases for the wealthy. He said he saw “incredibly encouraging” signs for comprehensive immigration reform. But when Landler asked about reducing carbon emissions, Obama only talked about big challenges and the need for more dialogue.
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-climate-change-priority-20121114,0,1745357.story

70 replies, 5453 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 70 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama climate change and energy policy still sucks (Original post)
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 OP
lalalu Nov 2012 #1
graham4anything Nov 2012 #2
satxdem Nov 2012 #3
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #7
lalalu Nov 2012 #9
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #10
lalalu Nov 2012 #11
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #13
George II Nov 2012 #18
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #19
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #20
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #23
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #24
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #28
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #31
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #32
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #33
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #34
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #37
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #40
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #42
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #35
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #38
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #41
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #43
George II Nov 2012 #27
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #29
George II Nov 2012 #45
George II Nov 2012 #26
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #30
George II Nov 2012 #46
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #47
George II Nov 2012 #48
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #49
George II Nov 2012 #52
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #53
George II Nov 2012 #54
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #55
George II Nov 2012 #56
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #58
George II Nov 2012 #59
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #61
George II Nov 2012 #57
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #60
George II Nov 2012 #4
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #8
AverageJoe90 Dec 2012 #64
limpyhobbler Dec 2012 #67
AverageJoe90 Dec 2012 #68
limpyhobbler Dec 2012 #69
AverageJoe90 Dec 2012 #70
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #14
George II Nov 2012 #15
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #16
George II Nov 2012 #17
blackspade Nov 2012 #44
AverageJoe90 Dec 2012 #62
AverageJoe90 Dec 2012 #63
rightsideout Nov 2012 #5
AverageJoe90 Nov 2012 #6
George II Dec 2012 #66
marmar Nov 2012 #12
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #21
marmar Nov 2012 #22
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #25
marmar Nov 2012 #36
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #39
George II Nov 2012 #51
AverageJoe90 Dec 2012 #65
livilinh17 Nov 2012 #50

Response to limpyhobbler (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:22 PM

1. And so it begins.

You know you can contact your congressional reps and ask them to introduce bills reflecting changes you want. After all congress actually passes the laws. Good luck with that.

You can also just continue blaming the president.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lalalu (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:39 PM

2. Yup. "If you build it, they will come"

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:08 PM

3. thank you lalalu

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:04 PM

7. Obama never saw an oil pipeline he didn't like.

He has plenty of money to protect his own family when climate catastrophe strikes. Apparently he doesn't care what happens to the rest of us.

Working class people will be left to die while the wealthy retreat to safe areas. Just like in Katrina, or in Haiti right now. Right now in New York City thousands of people are still without heat. This is something the Obama family will never have to worry about.

That's why he has done nothing to get us off of the fossil fuels that cause climate change. The United States should be leading the world on this issue. Unfortunately Obama is leading us in the wrong direction. We are headed for a climate crash, and Obama is hitting the gas when he should be pumping the brakes.

Coal production is up. Oil production is up. Shale gas production is up. And the US under Obama is exporting all these to the world. All this despite a citizens' environmental movement that is bigger and more vocal than it has ever been.

He was President in the crucial moment, maybe the last chance we will have to change course. He had an opportunity to rise to the occasion and do the right thing, but instead he pissed it away and pissed away all our futures. Except of course for the very rich and well connected, who will be able to buy their way to safety.

I'm talking about the policies of Barack Obama. What a disappointment.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:57 PM

9. Next Time vote for Romney Good luck with that.

Reply to this post

Response to lalalu (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:48 PM

10. what a simplistic ignorant response to a serious and legitimate criticism of Obama. nt

Last edited Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:21 PM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 AM

11. You aren't saying anything serious or legitimate.

Reply to this post

Response to lalalu (Reply #11)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 01:27 PM

13. What is Obama's policy for combating global warming...

...and protecting our children and grand children?

This is the one area where I beg to differ with Mr. Obama. I do not agree that he believes his personal resources will insulate his family from the damage. He just seems to ignore the issue. The next few years will see climate change turn for the worse. I will be watching.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #13)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:05 AM

18. You can google it.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #18)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:27 AM

19. Why am I not hearing it from his mouth?

Why do I have to Google it? Why isn't he shouting it from the rooftops?

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #19)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:20 AM

20. So if you didn't hear it, it never happened? And you're too lazy to google?

How very "concerned" you seem.

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #20)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:13 PM

23. Not a peep from the president

He needs to get in front of the issue. I understand the the GOP will say mean things and all, but in a very short few years this will be a catastrophe. He needs to start preparing the nation for it.

I did Google it and it appears he has, at least temporarily, adopted a 'drill baby drill' mindset. I found a PDF from the election that mentions alternative sources of energy. "Google it" isn't a very good policy for educating the public on this issue.

Why isn't Obama making speeches about/pressing this issue? A few speeches from the president would put the issue front and center and force lawmakers to at least acknowledge it. Obama needs to start preparing the nation for what is to come.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #23)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:15 PM

24. I am sick to death of....

everyone wanting to hear their words coming out of this president's mouth. We just had an election. The GREEN Party candidate, who demagogued this issue, got just over a quarter million votes NATIONWIDE (what a joke). That shows you where the American people rank this issue right now.

According to exit polling, I'm not even sure climate change ranked:

"Sixty percent of voters named the economy as their top issue, followed by health care in a distant second at 17 percent, the deficit at 15 percent and foreign policy at 4 percent."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/06/1157284/-Early-2012-Exit-Polls-Voters-Still-Blame-Bush#

You're free to lobby Congress with your concerns about the very real issue of climate change, but please stop with the demagoguery.

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #24)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 PM

28. "I am sick to death of...."

ANY words would suffice.

Do you have children?

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #28)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:59 PM

31. "Do you have children?" Uhm....none of your business?

You didn't address my post at all. The president is addressing the issues that are important to the majority, and just because he's not issuing spittle laced diatribes about climate change doesn't mean he's neglecting the issue. Speeches don't pass legislation, Congress does.

You can visit whitehouse.gov at any time, since you obviously have internet access, to see exactly what's being done on any number of issues of concern. If you're on the mailing list, OFA often issues calls to action, by the president's supporters on issues that are important to us. Stop bellyaching. If speeches could cure all our ills, then why are the people who scream loudest about what the president has or hasn't done, the first to dismiss speeches as "just pretty words"?

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #31)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:15 PM

32. Bellyaching?

"spittle laced diatribe"?

Should we citizens in our democracy just sit down and shut up?

Bellyaching? Do you have any concern about climate change? Do you have any children?

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #32)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:45 PM

33. You, as a "citizen, should do what's right for you. Obviously, bellachying on the internet....

is the path you've chosen. It's not really activism, but hey, you go for it. I'm just suggesting that perhaps you do a little research before demanding that the POTUS do "speeches" you want to hear, exactly the way you want to hear them.

My suggestion still stands, and you can visit whitehouse.gov anytime you please, to obtain and disseminate that information at your leisure. I'm not at all sure that's your objective here, but only you know that.

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #33)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:20 PM

34. I will not sit down and shut up

Sorry.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #34)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:55 PM

37. Well, you can shout at the moon as much you please. No skin off my nose.

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #37)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 AM

40. Your string of agonized replies state otherwise

Have a nice day!

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #40)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:34 AM

42. Ditto!

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #31)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:25 PM

35. Ever heard of the "bully pulpit"?

n/t

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #35)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:58 PM

38. Ever heard of how a bill actually becomes law? Since you're an "AgingAmerican"....

I would've thought you'd had a couple of civics lessons by now. Occupy the Halls of Congress, or keep shouting at the POTUS on the internet, I'm beginning to think the latter is much more preferable to you.

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #38)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:07 AM

41. Ever heard of the bully pulpit?

When the president speaks, everybody listens. No legislation needed!

Have a nice day

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #41)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:43 AM

43. You mean like when the president submitted a proposal for 2 mil jobs to Congress?

He "spoke" then. Or how about the president's budget? He "spoke" about that as well. Immigration reform? "Spoke".

The point is, speeches don't pass legislation. I would've thought you knew that, but that's apparently escaped you all these years. If the wannabe "activists" among us were as effective as they call on the president to be, they'd be on Capitol Hill everyday until the Congress moves on the legislation that has languished in the House for the past two years.

The president can't be held accountable because you don't pay attention, or are too lazy to look up information that is freely available at the government's website. You keep typing away though, that'll change things.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #23)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:39 PM

27. Not a peep that YOU heard. Did you google his policy yet? Oh wait............

.....I'll give Barack a call and have him FedEx his policy to you, okay?

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #27)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:50 PM

29. "Just google it" is a very bad way to educate people.

Obama made one speech to the UN on the subject three years ago. Please tell me what he has said since. He seems to be ignoring the issue, at least publicly. Where's the beef?

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #29)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:40 AM

45. Maybe you can start educating yourself, THEN you can educate others....you can start here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/energy

You'll find everything you want to know about Obama's positions on Climate Change, Clean Energy, etc...

Sitting at a keyboard isn't going to get it done!

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #19)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:36 PM

26. Why not stalk him and listen to EVERY word he says? Presidents don't "shout from rooftops"!

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #26)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:53 PM

30. So you don't think he should publicly address the issue?

You don't believe it is serious enough for a president to put concerted effort into? You are offended by those of us who think it should be a priority of his?

Do you have children?

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #30)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:46 AM

46. Sure I think he should publicly address the issue - but NOT EVERY DAY!!! And he has addressed it.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #46)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:26 PM

47. When was his last speech on the subject?

Do you know? If he started regularly speaking about the issue, it would be all over the news networks. As it stands we barely hear mention of it, and only on MSNBC. Obama has the power to bring this issue to the forefront. He will have to face it eventually. He has to start openly and actively preparing the country for what is to come. Hopefully sooner than later.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #47)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:24 PM

48. I don't maintain or regularly review his speaking calendar. Do you know what he spoke about today?

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #48)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:34 PM

49. Google it

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:42 AM

52. Did you miss the news (repeatedly) about his opposition and veto of the Keystone pipeline???

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #52)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:10 PM

53. I think that you are mistaken. Please provide a link.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #54)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:55 PM

55. LOL get a clue. Stop reading "foxnews.com" and you might get a better understanding of reality

Obama rushed through approval of the southern half of the pipeline.

RIPLEY, Okla. — President Obama stood in a red-dirt field before acres of stacked pipeline pieces on Thursday to illustrate his support for expedited construction of the southern leg of the Keystone XL oil pipeline. But his public declaration for the project pleased neither the industry and its Republican allies nor environmentalists.
“Today, we’re making this new pipeline from Cushing to the gulf a priority,” he said, while the northern portion requires additional review.

“But the fact is that my administration has approved dozens of new oil and gas pipelines over the last three years, including one from Canada,” Mr. Obama added. “And as long as I’m president, we’re going to keep on encouraging oil development and infrastructure, and we’re going to do it in a way that protects the health and safety of the American people.”...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us/politics/in-oklahoma-obama-declares-pipeline-support.html?_r=0

Obama delayed approval of the northern section until after the election, based only on local pollution effects, not on carbon effects.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2011/12/01/2013-for-Keystone-XL-decision/UPI-81531322749141/

U.S. Department of State Confirms Keystone XL Q1 2013 Decision Timeline

Calgary, Alberta – June 15, 2012 – TransCanada Corporation (TSX, NYSE: TRP) (TransCanada) responded to the U.S. Department of State’s (DOS) announcement today regarding its process and timeline for a final decision on the Keystone XL Pipeline. The announcement reiterates earlier statements made by the DOS that they expect to make a decision on the project by the first quarter of 2013....
http://www.transcanada.com/6059.html

By approving the southern half of the pipeline he signaled his willingness to approve the whole thing. Why? Because only a fucking idiot would build half a pipeline.

I'm going to DC on February 18 to get arrested in front of the Whitehouse because Obama is such an enormous whore for the oil industry.

Activists have been bravely risking their lives to physically block the construction of the pipeline section in Texas.

Here watch a video of the pipeline being built, and the people trying to block it

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #55)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:16 PM

56. Fact ishe DID meet a pipeline he didn't like, regardless of the first source I found...want more?

Even YOUR article states that he rejected the northern half of the pipeline. I could have searched for more sources (and probably would have found yours) but I just wanted to reply asap.

"Get a clue"!!!

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #56)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:37 PM

58. Obama has not decided on the northern half yet.

He's probably going to approve it because he can't say no to his oil masters.

Obama apparently doesn't care if climate change floods out New York City, Miami, New Orleans, and thousands are made homeless. Apparently he doesn't care if millions go hungry because of drought, or can't afford clean water.

Obama's family will be safe when the crisis hits because he got rich off of politics -got rich off of us. So he doesn't care if the poor people drown or starve to death or freeze to death in the streets.

If he did care there would be no way he could support all this accelerated oil, coal and gas drilling and export. Because the science is not in question. We must change policies now to reduce the size of the climate wreck.

Meanwhile some liberals blindly defend him for some reason. Take a little deeper look. His energy policy is totally cowardly and self serving, and is condemning millions of poor people to either death or a tragic life.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #58)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:49 PM

59. He decided once, and..........

...you asked for links. I gave them to you. You're moving on to another batch of bashing of him.

Your credibility has now dropped from 5% to 0%. Congrats!

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #59)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:01 PM

61. He decided to delay the decision until 2013. That is all.

That's called "putting off a decision until after the election".

Call the President
Tell him to stop the Keystone XL pipeline.

PHONE NUMBERS
Comments: 202-456-1111

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/write-or-call

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #57)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:55 PM

60. Excuse me, but you are wrong about the facts.

1) Obama approved the southern half of the Keystone XL pipeline.

2) He delayed decision on the northern half until the first quarter of 2013. His decision has not yet been made.

Those are facts.

If you dispute those facts, I don't know how to convince you, other than the links I already gave you. No matter how many Fox "News" links and fake news sites you dredge up, you can't suck people into a fake alternate reality where Obama somehow blocked the pipeline.

Maybe you haven't really been following the issue and now are looking randomly on the internet for any news links that seem to indicate that Obama "did the right thing", without understanding what you are linking to.

He may yet block the pipeline. The decision is yet to be made. He delayed it until after the election, until 2013. We shall see.

Sorry but you are trying to defend something that is morally reprehensible. If we unlock and burn the Canadian tar sands oil, it will put human civilization itself at risk.

You don't have to defend this betrayal of the public trust. Tell the President to stop the Keystone XL pipeline.

Call the President
PHONE NUMBERS
Comments: 202-456-1111
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/write-or-call

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:06 PM

4. There's always something to bitch about, huh? What would Romney do? Prefer him to Obama???????

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #4)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:20 PM

8. do you realize if we follow our current path the earth could become uninhabitable?

It's not just another "something to bitch about". It should be a top priority. Anything else is insanity.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:48 AM

64. Actually, that scenario isn't quite possible, TBH.

I kinda hate to nitpick here, but the whole planet isn't going to become uninhabitable in any time frame we can comprehend......or at least, not thru climate change alone.

All that aside, I do believe that Obama realizes that we DO have a very serious problem on our hands, and certainly, he has at least gone after Keystone. It's better than nothing at this point, and if we keep pushing for progress, we'll get more of it done.

Reply to this post

Response to AverageJoe90 (Reply #64)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 01:19 PM

67. Wait so do you think it's a good idea to complete this pipeline and burn the tar sands oil?

Or did I misunderstand you there.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #67)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:41 PM

68. You misunderstood me.

I've never been a big fan of the Keystone pipeline; even a couple years ago when I did have some hope that it might help reduce our consumption of foreign oil, I was wary of the possible impacts, including that on climate. These days, I don't support the initiative at all now that I know more about just how many downsides there really are.

So again, yes, now that I know better, I am against the completion of Keystone. Hope that clears things up.

Reply to this post

Response to AverageJoe90 (Reply #68)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:53 PM

69. oh ok. And I guess you're probably right, I shouldn't sling around phrases like

"could make the earth uninhabitable" unless I really know that.

I'm into politics, not as much into science.

I want to be able to say something kind of dramatic, but certainly not anything false.

Maybe I can say this: "If we unlock and burn the Canadian tar sands oil, it will put human civilization itself at risk. "

I've also heard climate change could make half the world uninhabitable by 2300. maybe I can say that if I say "half the earth uninhabitable".

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #69)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:58 PM

70. Well, that's okay. It happens to a lot of us. =)

Yeah, it's not always easy to inform people of just how much of a challenge, we face without unintentionally stepping across the bounds into hyperbole.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM

14. Romney lost - he is a moot point

The "would you prefer Romney?" talking point is merely a deflection of the issue. If you disagree with the OP please tell us exactly how.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #14)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:42 PM

15. Well, for one thing....

...the OP was dicussing Obama's press conference. The fact is that the cited article is an opinion piece, and nowhere in that press conference was there any indication that climate change would be put on the "back burner"! But, some never pass up an opportunity to be critical, warranted or not.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #15)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 05:35 PM

16. I understand that part...

Its the Romney part that I do not understand.

Criticism is healthy. Attacks are not healthy.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #16)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:20 AM

17. People started acting like Obama was a bum the day after the election........

as though the alternative would have been better, and it's just because he hasn't solved their problem yet. Climate change is on the table, but there are more immediate worries in the next month or two. Obama hasn't even begun his second term yet and congress is in a lame-duck session where probably nothing of substance will be discussed except the looming budget problem.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #17)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:51 AM

44. Sorry, but there are no immediate worries that trump climate change.

The fiscal cliff is bullshit.

As a country we have to get moving on this now.
We have to make serious cuts in our consumption of resources if there is going to be a chance that my kids are not going to be fucked by the lack of will that our political class exhibits on this issue.

Reply to this post

Response to blackspade (Reply #44)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:42 AM

62. Care must be taken in that regard.

We don't really need to slow down the consumption of ALL resources; mainly just fossil fuels, and water in places where it really does need to be conserved.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:48 AM

63. That may be true.

Now, TBH, I myself have been a tad disappointed with the President's progress on that issue, but we shouldn't ever forget that much of this problem was the fault of the Republicans and crooked oil company CEOs.

And Pres. Obama did, in fact, oppose the Keystone pipeline, and much of that was thanks to many people(including some Native Americans, btw!) who devoted their time to making their voices & opinions heard.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:30 PM

5. There is hope

CO2 emissions in the US have dropped to a level they were in 1990.

This is because aging coal burning power plants have been taken offline, natural gas is becoming competitive with coal, we had a mild winter last year and gasoline usage has gone down.

All those factors, together have reduced our CO2 emissions.

Obama has put in place higher MPG goals for car. That will reduce gasoline usage. The market may end up going more with natural gas than coal to fuel power plants.

But we still need to get emissions down in the rest of the world. That remains a challenge as China and India's power production increases. We need to get them to look to alternatives. China has looked at the idea. They have ramped up production of solar panel for the market but we need to get them to reduce their coal usage.

But it is disappointing to hear Obama's speech on putting Climate on the back burner. I was shocked when I heard it since he was enthusiastically looking at our electric cars at the last Washington DC Auto Show.

Reply to this post

Response to rightsideout (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:37 AM

6. All true.

I do think he'll do better than many are expecting, though.....but only if we keep pushing for change ourselves.

But we still need to get emissions down in the rest of the world. That remains a challenge as China and India's power production increases. We need to get them to look to alternatives. China has looked at the idea. They have ramped up production of solar panel for the market but we need to get them to reduce their coal usage.

Very true. But there is indeed hope on the horizon. Let's work to make this a reality on whatever manner possible.

Reply to this post

Response to rightsideout (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:52 AM

66. "Back burner"?

"But it is disappointing to hear Obama's speech on putting Climate on the back burner. I was shocked when I heard it since he was enthusiastically looking at our electric cars at the last Washington DC Auto Show."

Did he really say that? I read the entire article (actually a commentary) linked in the OP, the only time "back burner" was used was in the sensationalized headline.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:49 AM

12. The "would you prefer Romney?" strawman is already quite tired.....

...... instead of attacking people for pointing out problems with the current energy policy and where it's going to lead, why not work toward trying to push the administration on the policy? Expecting some accountability for campaign promises is a very good thing - President Obama said so himself.
I've been a supporter of the president since he first announced his candidacy during the 2008 primary season -- that hasn't and won't change. But being a supporter doesn't mean that you can't be critical of policies -- Isn't that what we so decried the "Bushbots" for during that terrible era?
The election's over, so naturally the attention is going to be re-focused on policy. I understand the defensiveness during election season -- but perhaps it's time for skins to thicken a bit to give the administration that "righteous wind" to do the right thing.

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:24 AM

21. If you spent half the energy lobbying Congress as you do trashing the president,

I imagine we'd see lots of changes. Typing anti Obama screeds on an internet forum is not activism. Perhaps a basic lesson in Civics is in order?

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #21)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:48 AM

22. First off, I don't "trash" the president. I, and others, post articles that examine policy.

Perhaps you should put more energy into lobbying Congress than attacking those of us on the left, or better yet, helping an organization working to make a difference -- we could move forward with a more progressive agenda. Typing anti-progressive screeds on an internet forum really isn't making a difference, n'est-ce pas?

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #22)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:18 PM

25. And typing anti-Obama screeds didn't elect Jill Stein either, did it?

As far as your trashing of the president, anyone is free to google.

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #25)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:27 PM

36. Umm, okay. The intellectual dishonesty is giving me a headache.

nt

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #36)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:59 PM

39. "Intellectual dishonesty".

Yeah, you go with that.

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #12)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:36 AM

51. But the "Obama (type your favorite issue here) policy still sucks" strawman isn't wearisome?

If you looked into things instead of simply complained, you see that the current administration has accomplished quite a bit on climate change over the last four years in spite of the obstacles put in his way by a republican House of Representatives and republican fillibustering Senate.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #51)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 01:28 AM

65. It does gets kinda old after a while.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who used to do this quite a bit a few years back.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:46 AM

50. Hello !

I will recommend this site to everyone I know! Wow, this is really great!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread